AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to be more detailed, i have a bunch of mkv's ive created - some from my HD movies and some from SD. dvds are x264 and HD is h264.

id like to use ffdshow for dvds to help clean them up since after watching HD , they are, almost unwatchable

but i would like to use cyberlink decoder for the HD stuff to take advantage of hardware accel and not eat up CPU power with ffdshow.

my problem is they are all mkv's and the same codec, so they are all either going to ffdshow or not, based on enabling the codec in the codecs menu in ffdhow.

i know i can do profiles in ffdshow based on resolution and whatnot, but that doesnt help because id rather not use ffdshow *at all* for the HD stuff - ie use a different decoder alltogether

i hope this makes sense and is something people can help me with.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
My suggestions...

Use a player that can load filter settings on execution, and create 2 batch/shortcuts to run the different configurations. (ie. Zoom player will allow you to load config from the command line)

Or

Use 2 different players that can specify what filters to use.

·
471 Posts
i'm pretty sure you can filter out certain file names, but there has to be something common across them that you can set the filter for. it has to be set under the video configuration and also the audio configuration in ffdshow. i use this blocking method so ffdshow doesn't launch when games starts playing an intro video

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I would think that you should keep ffdshow in your filter chain, with h264 decoding always disable, enabling all the processing filters you want only with a profile that's loaded under certain conditions.

Let's say you have CoreAVC.

The path would always be splitter-->CoreAVC-->ffdshow

But the low res files would trigger a different profile where postprocessing of whatever kind is enabled. For the hi res ones, instead, ffdshow would just act as a passthrough (you have to configure it accordingly, disabling everything).

You have to enable RAW for all supported formats for this to happen.

It should work, I think.

Edit: I'm in the same position as you with my Buffy and Angel x264 backups... sooner or later I'll try this myself.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got it - so pretty much i need to either custom load filters, rename the files so they are all *DVD,*HD etc, or not use x264 to encode the dvds...

id rather not have to use the batch file method since i would like to be able to play the movies from a front end, or by double clicking ( i rarely open programs and then do file->open etc).

if i decide go the 'not use x264 for dvds' route - question:

i have been using handbrake to encode the dvds - its pretty much one click - whats another easy way to reip dvds to a movie file? i dont mind not re-encoding (ie forego the space saving) but i want one file not a folder full of vobs

if i do that i can just assign all the ffdshow stuff to mpeg2 (thats what dvds are natively right?) and be done with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am looking for the same method. I have a lot of .mkv files i have encoded.... Maybe there is a way to do it by file size? does anyone know if that is a possibility?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts