AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, just got a new tv and PS3 last month and my current onkyo is 10 years old. I need HDMI switching for my PS3 and my moto HD box. I have a coupon for 20% off my next purchased which must be used by the end of the month. With the current sale and my discount I can get the 605 for $320 or the 705 for $520.

I dont have any other video devices other than future plans for wii.

Is the 705 worth the $200 difference? I have 5.1 and dont have any immediate plans to go to 7.1. I have read the drawbacks and issues with each, but i cant for the life of me decide. If there is no real reason to spend the extra money i wont.

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would go 705 for the extra HDMI port, which will become more useful the longer you keep it. Also the pre-outs for all channels is a big bonus, plus the 705 reportedly runs cooler, since it has a fan that turns on as the unit heats up.

The other features like Thx Select2 Cert, Powered Zone 2, Blue Light, extra SPDIF ins, Audessey Multi-Eq setup and whatnot are just icing.

Plus for $520 thats a screaming deal!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
If sound quality is the main issue then go with the 605 as their won't be any noticeable difference between the two.

If the extra features of the 705 like preouts and 1 extra HDMI input is something you might need down the road then go with the 705

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i am leaning towards the 705 right now. My TX-SV646 has served me well for the last 10 years. I admittedly don’t use all the features of the my 646, which is the only reason I am still considering the 605.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/12872834

If sound quality is the main issue then go with the 605 as their won't be any noticeable difference between the two.

If the extra features of the 705 like preouts and 1 extra HDMI input is something you might need down the road then go with the 705

Not correct - the 705 gives you a LOT more than "preouts and 1 extra HDMI input" than the 605.

Go for the 705.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts