AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I suggest that anyone who's never seen a rainbow download this clip and take a look. It perfectly demonstrates the rainbow effect. Now you'll know why some of us complain about it so much. On certain sources, people who are really sensitive to rainbows don't just see them once or twice during a movie. It's more like several times per minute and it's very very annoying.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i have demo'd the sharp 9000 and the rainbows were not that bad. only a brief couple of flashes on darker scenes, but that was it. the rainbows only looked like they were less than an inch in width, and really didn't distract from the entire experience.

but this is just MHO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I that video supposed to be like that? Why do the static things in the top left/right have the blue and red flashing all around them? Does that happen for people who see rainbows too?

·
Registered
211 Posts
wow..that would drive me nuts..

do any low priced (under 2K) LCD pjs have Faroudja de-interlacer like the X1s? I have a large laser disc collection as well as DVDs to watch?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Those rainbows were ugly.

Up until recently (last week) I had a Panasonic PT102y CRT projector in my HT. Convergance shifted reasonably regularly & I would get blue light leaking at edges of some objects. I found this annoying, let alone whopping great rainbows following moving objects.

Having recently crossed over to the digital realm, thanks to the Philips Garbo 16:9 LCD projector, Im in heaven (and certainly pleased I did not go DLP).

Sen

·
Registered
890 Posts
strulon, thanks for the post on ''RAINBOWS''. Man,........thank God I went the LCD route!!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I just watched the 3 mb version, and I now have a headache.

Thanks for this demo, If I decide to go to a digital(I am considering either a CRT or Digital), it will probably be LCD.

Fred

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok, this is an important question :)

Is that seriously what rainbows look like, or is this doctored video made so everything looks bad? The static images in the top left and right have colours flaring out all around them. The rainbows on the moving images double the size of the women's arms. Now for some reason we have people being anti DLP just because of this video ? :) I am very confused.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
yeah that sure looks like dlp rainbows, based on my experience. only diff is that in that clip, they do seem to be a little bigger than the ones from the projector but hey, this is just a clip to show what the effect can look like.:)

also, when I saw them they didn't hapopen as frequent as in that clip. So to all you people wondering, don't assume that if you see rainbows, you constantly see rainbows like that:)

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I haven't watched the videos because I didn't have the right stuff on my computer, but I'll take a look at some point.

For those that watched these clips and have never seen a DLP projector, I still think you owe it to yourself to take a look before making a decision. I could make a video of what it looks when people who are allergic to peanuts eat them, but it doesn't mean that everybody needs to avoid products with peanuts. Same goes for what a 60Hz computer monitor looks like to some people. If you rule out DLP, you are ruling out a lot of advantages, IMO.

As far as guests seeing rainbows, I think it would make sense for some people to avoid the 2x machines if they have a lot of fear that one of their friends won't be able to watch movies at their house. I have a 3x machine and I've never heard anything about rainbows or flashes from anybody who wasn't affiliated with this forum. When Pultzar from here and some other people were invited to some HP event they mentioned rainbows to the HP engineers. The guys were surprised and said they had never heard of such a thing. I'm not vouching for the intelligence of those engineers, though.

I knew almost nothing about these things when I started thinking about getting a projector in July. After looking at this forum I was thinking rainbows would bother me worse than screendoor, but after looking around I found that I just couldn't give up the nice smooth image of DLP. So far the only LCD projector I've seen that lived up to my expectations for a smooth image was the AE300, but that was basically by limiting it to a smaller screen

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am not sensitive to rainbows. I can't even see them in this demo :)

(just kidding)

Mark

·
Registered
720 Posts
WARNING: The following is my personal opinion only. I fully recognise that there will be plenty who will agree and plenty who will disagree with this opinion.

As strulon says, this video clip has been "artificially rebuilt". I would suggest this has been done by someone who is perhaps very anti DLP.

Three simple observations...

1. Even the static images at the top of the screen are flaring away in color bursts, however the rainbow effect is in fact a result of motion.

2. As the rainbow effect is apparent only to certain individuals, and is an interaction between their visual perception and the method that DLP renders the image, I do not believe it would actually be possible to capture the real effect on video.

3. Quite frankly, if the rainbow effect was anywhere near this bad, manufacturers would not be producing DLP based "video" projectors.

I would highly recommend anyone who has not seen a DLP projector to wait until they have personally previewed one, before passing their own judgement.

From what I understand, the rainbow effect was primarily an issue for a small percentage of the population, with the original 1x color wheel DLP projectors. It seems that the effect is greatly reduced on the newer 2x wheel DLP projectors (and even more so on the faster 6 segment wheels).

I will wait until I have had the opportunity to evaluate the InFocus X1 (hopefully later this week), before I form any opinion on this new projector.

I really feel that it is important for everyone to make their own first hand assessment of a projector technology (particularly given the very significant "personal taste" factor in home theater choices).

In this regard I do not think that posting this kind of dubious video clip, is in any way helpful to the readers of this forum.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had a 1X dlp machine briefly... I think the rainbows might've been approaching that. It was a no-go for me. But my recently acquired 2X machine is nowhere near the video demostration!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I am very slightly sensitive to rainbows. On my 1x Infocus 425z, I see them maybe 3 or 4 times at most, for a millisecond, during an entire 2 hour movie. It is no big deal...and I would never have even thought about them if I hadn't read so much about them on this forum. My wife, neighbors, etc. who have all watched moviesw at my house have never mentioned it, and also haven't mentioned headaches or nausea. You have to see for yourself to see how susceptible you are. Posting a video clip like this is a huge exageration, IMO. I guess if you are really, really sensitive, this must be what it looks like---but how many people would actually ever see rainbows THIS bad?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I saw a Dream Vision CineXone where the bands were 8 inces wide at times and appearing every few seconds. I still don't know what speed the wheel was. Film was ATOC. Demo room, total black. Rainbows were WORSE when lights went up.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KoolKiwi
...In this regard I do not think that posting this kind of dubious video clip, is in any way helpful to the readers of this forum.
Gotta disagree with you there. I think a visual representation even artificially created is useful to those of us who haven't had the opportunity to see DLP projectors running video.

I have many hours experience with both CRT and LCD projectors going back nearly 20 years, but the only DLP's I have seen weren't running video. I had a pretty good idea of what the rainbows probably looked like because of the many, many references in this forum. This just gave me a better reference, even if exagerrated.

Thanks to the poster.

Marvin

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.