AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are you planning to use HTPC, a scaler, a progressive player or a combination of the above?

i've been wading thru the HTPC forum a little and feel VERY intimidated. it doesn't help that i've only used a mac os to begin with.

i'd like to get into HTPC but the cost/benefit in time spent relearning new hardware and software...i only see it detracting from my enjoyment of this technology.

unless someone would care to streamline the concept as bare as possible, it looks like i'll be headed for a good player w/ a scaler TBD later.

It's gonna gnaw at me to no end, tho, knowing that there is still better out there if i could just marshall the enormous time required to figure it out.

how's everyone else planning to set up?

[This message has been edited by ckolchak (edited 07-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I will be using a Radeon based HTPC, running at 1024x768 (of course!) beginning with a 60hz refresh rate. I have been reading through some of the posts and it seems that 72 may or may not be a good thing. I will most likely purchase a component to rgb cable to try with my progressive dvd player also. For the screen I will be using an 80x60 4:3 matte white and compare it to a high power to see which yields the best black levels. I went from a high power to matte white with my old LCD projector and it seemed to increase the contrast. My old projector was 600 lumens and I was plenty happy with the brightness. My biggest question right now is the settings, I imagine that I will load up MikeM's/DC's 0 IRE reg file and then calibrate the projector using AVIA but it seems that there are three color levels so I will most likely devote an evening to exploring those settings.

------------------

System info: LT150 soon hopefully!, Dalite 57X77 Matte & HP, P3 700, ATI Radeon 64mb VIVO, ATI 7.1 player, WinDVD 2.6.4, WinME

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just bought a one year old Crystal Image for $750. When my LT150 and scaler arrive, I'll let you know how the combo works.

It's got lots of advantages for this projector: will work well as a swicher for additional inputs, has external aspect ratio control, will pass through HDTV, and can do an anmorphic squeeze for future Panamorph use if so desired.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I still haven't heard of anyone using both a HTPC and HDTV decoder, due to the LT-150's limited number of inputs. Even with a scaler with HD passthrough, that still limits you to a non-progressive DVD player. This is a serious limitation of the LT150, one which I have been trying all night to solve. The only way I see is to add a 2-1 manual HD15 switchbox, eliminating automation capabilities. Boohoo...

Steve

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm not too worried about not being able to use a progressive DVD player -- the deinterlacer in the CI should be of similar quality to deinterlacer's in most progressive scan DVD players...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Steve, there are plenty of autosensing VGA switches out there from companies like Extron and Altinex. I use a relatively cheap one myself, a Kramer VP-211 , although for HTPC and HDTV resolutions, I would probably get an Extron.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm going to hang a white sheet over my deck railing and watch movies outdoors on the lawn on Friday nights. :)

Sam

·
Registered
280 Posts
For me, a Toshiba 9100 progressive scan DVD player, NEC component-v-cable, 58x104 Perm-Wall Hi-Power screen, and the LT150. We get no OTA HDTV in Memphis, and the little offered by Directv doesn't justify the receiver, new dish, etc. I'm also a little nervous about the obsolescence of current HDTV hardware, with all that encryption to-do. But that's another AVS forum http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The biggest fun for me will be the WALL -- curtains, valances, masking, the cinema look!

Mike (trying to think positive!)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Currently I'm using a DTC-100 and a GeForce MX equipped HTPC to feed a Mits 55905 RPTV. I run VGA outs from both devices into a Linksys ProConnect 4 Port KVM, then a VGA to RCA breakout into the 55905. ( The Linksys KVM has had many bad reviews on this forum, it's worked admirably for me, and it works seamlessly with a Pronto remote via an airboard. )

My plan is to use the LT150 in place of the 55905, and I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that all I have to do is ...

1) replace the VGA to RCA cable with a VGA to VGA cable

2) reset Powerstrip to use 1024 x 768 instead of a custom resolution

3) reprogram the Pronto to deal with the LT150

Has anyone tried the LT150 with the DTC-100 ?

Martin

[This message has been edited by Martin Orrick (edited 07-24-2001).]

·
Registered
40 Posts
ckolchak, I am in exactly the same boat you are in. My plan is to buy a HTPC preconfigured from digital connection or AVS. You can get one with an HDTV tuner built in for over the air HDTV (which exists in my area). But pass through is a problem. I haven't yet figured out how to connect the HDTV signal through the computer. I might have to get an external switch which isn't so bad. But I haven't yet figured how what or how the NTSC and DTV signals from cable or satellite are going to be brought into the computer, then scaled to macth the native XGA resolution and then sent out through the RGB output to the projector. There must be a way but the forums are so extensive, its hard for a newbie to get a grasp of some of the very basic concepts. So if anyone who understands this stuff is reading this HOW DO YOU connect all that external video source into the HTPC (vhs, cable or satellite [both digital and HDTV], camcorder, etc)????

The main reason I got a del LT 150 was to actually see a picture, to work with settings, etc. You can only do so much reading the opinions of others and I felt it was a good inexpensive way to get started. I hope to learn a lot about the technology and what is visually important to me. Hope that it will all come together!

IMO, despite an expensive HTPC for LT 150, I might have to do what you did; add an external scaler. This seems redundant but don't really know.

Anyone with help for us newbies my gratitude in advance

------------------

David

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry should have done a better job proofreading. The problem is not in regard to the HDTV tuner card in the computer that receives over the air transmissions, but to external HDTV signal that comes from satellite or cable.

------------------

David

·
Registered
344 Posts
I plan on using an HTPC with a Radeon etc. for my main source. I have a bunch of spare parts laying around, so with a few purchases, I should be able to muster up a system.

For a screen, I'm planning on a wall first http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif , but ultimately I'll use a 4:3 screen masked to 16:9 either 8' or 7' wide. For regular tv I will use the 4:3 section _inside_ the 16:9 section. The only thing I'll use the entire 4:3 screen for is actual computer display, video games etc...possibly TV for sports (I'll have to see how that looks).

If Time warner ever decides to give me an HDTV decoder I'll probably get a receiver that switches component and just convert the RGB from the HTPC to component along with the HDTV output.

I may add a cheap stand alone DVD player going through DScaler on the HTPC for easy use by the wife.

Brian

·
Registered
267 Posts
Radeon HTPC, 80x60 4:3 Da-Lite high power (just got it today!), LT150 mounted under my coffee table.

For those of you intimidated by building an HTPC, I just went through the exercise a couple of months ago and had never built a PC from scratch before. I lurked in the HTPC forum for quite a while before buying my first component. If it had not been for an incompatibility between my preamp and the sound card, there would have been zero problems. It literally booted and ran the first time the power switch was hit.

I documented the process a bit including the parts list, drivers, and even pictures of it going together. Follow the HTPC link in my signature for details. If you go the HTPC route you should definitely hang out in the HTPC forum since things change incredibly fast in that neck of the woods.

------------------

Tom L.

My stuff, LT150, HTPC, and screen tests

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
I'm gonna need to figure out how to get the LT150 display 576p PAL from the Skyworth.

Otherwise I am screwed, bacause I will have to figure out how to put a computer (!!!) in the midst of an eclectically-furnished living room that took years for my wife to furnish.

My wife has so far agreed to a lot, but she will draw the line there.

Is it possible to put together an HTPC in a slim-line (flat), or a very small tower case that I can have permanently stowed in a cabined so it's out of sight?

If someone gets the LT150 and successfully displays the 576p PAL from the Skyworth on it, please post.

·
Registered
855 Posts
HDTV is not readily available in my area so I will continue to watch cable with my 50" Toshiba RPTV.

The 150 will be used for DVD movies. To that end I am currently pricing a Dalite Hi-Power screen.

I have a Panasonic RP91 and will see if the picture quality from that is satisfactory enough. A HTPC might be in the cards down the road but only if I can see that the visual difference is worth it.

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Someone on this list is making me one of the MrWigggles type VGA cables. Are there any pins I can have him not connect so that I can pretend it's a component cable? I don't even know what aspect ratio control means or why I need it, but it seems important. I always figured that if the HTPC DVD player shows widescreen, so will the projector.

(I guess I need a Home theater for dummies book). http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Take care,

JC

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
I usually hide out in Cape Town as much as possible during the winter and this along with a combination HT, Web, Audio processing PC,with the help of a OTA Video card that will deal with PAL the LT 150 will be my main source of "off the streets" entertainment. Asked one of the HTPC gurus to build me one.

Dealing with Jason at AVS about a Draper Cinefold screen.

Plain old TV's there are REALLY expensive! I can easily rent DVD's there as well. The NEC and the folding screen will be easy to take as baggage.

Larry

------------------

G15 D-ILA

Lexicon MC1 7.1 system

Radeon Based HTPC

NHT, velodyne & bag end speaker systems

Panasonic, Dish, HDTV recording setup.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This reply may be better placed in the HTPC forum, I may repeat it there.

I have been spending an inordinate amount of time searching for understanding and solutions. As I plan to buy/build a HTPC and ordered a LT 150 I think I have found a very good solution for connectivity, IF I understand the brochure and owners manual (a big if).

Look into the Telemann HiPix DTV 200. This is a PCI card that is a HDTV over the air reviewer/tuner. It also receives NTSC analogue and DTV signal, and has inputs for your old VHS via s-video If I understand the literature, it takes these signals and outputs them as HDTV 1080i or 780p for your projector/monitor/TV. Since the LT150 accepts these signals it may work. But I have no idea if the scaling is good or how its done in the card. Its a thought though. If anyone understands this better than I and has any ideas please enlighten.

Manual: http://www.digitalconnection.com/dri...00_R1.2Man.zip

Brochure: http://www.telemann.com/products/dtv200_4.html

------------------

David

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.