AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an original PS3 60GB (replaced HD with large HD about a year ago). And everything works fine, no problems. I'd like to keep it that way, since we still play PS2 games on it.

Long story short: it has been suggested in various posts and on ebay that the original PS in these is the part that runs very hot and that for longevity of the PS3 it should be replaced with a newer PS to reduce heat and prolong the life of the PS3.

Since power supplies are all of $40, I have no problem doing this, but would this actually reduce heat to a significant degree?

--Tom

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The only preventative work I'd do is keep your PS3 clean and free from dust.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think the original PS3-60GB draws 200 watts, while the newer PS3 draws 135. Replacing the power supply doesn't change that and doesn't reduce the heat. The original 60GB is a flawed system, too much heat build-up in too small a space. That's the reason (besides cost) sony doesn't make them anymore.

·
Registered
571 Posts
the original is a "flawed" system? no way, it was loaded with features and carried a hefty price tag.. that's why sony phased it out

then again what do i know, i'm just a twatermelon

·
Registered
529 Posts
Too much heat in too small of an enclosure, too much heat fatigue on the board = YLOD. This is not a knock on sony. Things progress. Early adopters get hurt. I have a love/hate relationship with my 60GB. It's great for PS2, and I have a lot of PS2. But I really hated the RSX blowing out on me due to solder failure, with my "Dead Space" game stuck inside. Fortunately I had it repaired, but I know it's only a matter of time...

·
Registered
571 Posts
i agree, but it's also bad solder joints that set it in motion. Just thought Flawed was a bad choice in words... anyways OP use the advice in the second post. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki /forum/post/17025181

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The only preventative work I'd do is keep your PS3 clean and free from dust.

Thanks for the advice. I think the PS3 is a well integrated design and very elegant. Perhaps they should have done the MS thing and just made the PS external.

But in any event, if there is no high-efficiency PS for the original launch model, then I agree it would be difficult to make cooler in that way.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrotchko /forum/post/17025027

I have an original PS3 60GB (replaced HD with large HD about a year ago). And everything works fine, no problems. I'd like to keep it that way, since we still play PS2 games on it.

Long story short: it has been suggested in various posts and on ebay that the original PS in these is the part that runs very hot and that for longevity of the PS3 it should be replaced with a newer PS to reduce heat and prolong the life of the PS3.

Since power supplies are all of $40, I have no problem doing this, but would this actually reduce heat to a significant degree?

--Tom

Where can you purchase a PS for a 60GB unit? Do you have a link?

·
Banned
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 /forum/post/17026434

Launch models are flawed. Not the features, but it consume too much power and generates too much heat.

Well, seeing how it consumes less and put out less power and heat then a modern PC, I don't see how that's "flawed".

The only flaw I see is it's ability to attract dust, and thus insulate it's internals. I'm betting that's the leading cause of PS3 failures. That said, that's environmental, not a design flaw. Regularly dusting, and cleaning out the innards after the warranty allows you to open it up should mitigate any heat failures.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII /forum/post/17038190

Well, seeing how it consumes less and put out less power and heat then a modern PC, I don't see how that's "flawed".

The only flaw I see is it's ability to attract dust, and thus insulate it's internals. I'm betting that's the leading cause of PS3 failures. That said, that's environmental, not a design flaw. Regularly dusting, and cleaning out the innards after the warranty allows you to open it up should mitigate any heat failures.

I know, I clean mine every two months since it YLODed on me.

But Still, Imo, no one should "have" to open up a system to cleaning it to fear a failure. I know it logic to do so.

I know some PS3 owners that don't know all that and are surprised when I told them that it needs an internal cleaning,...after a warranty runs out, that their is a risk of failure,...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.