AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
messages. After reading another thread, I found that a few others have had the same problem. I had to call Microshaft to get my fix a long while ago. Not very long afterward, I ran across this article on their KB (the original article was titled differently, and had the KB# Q303012, but it's the same issue I think).

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from Starting (Q307545)

This solution applies to the following types of error messages:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\CONFIG\\SYSTEM

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\CONFIG\\SOFTWARE

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \\SystemRoot\\System32\\Config\\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate

Worked like a charm for me!

BTW, I would rather be dragged over rusty razor blades than go back to any of the Win 9X flavors.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robert,

No problem. What is your hardware configuration?

Joe

·
Registered
875 Posts
This is all good, and would of helped had I not formatted the drive already. And now that I format it, I can't install XP at ALL on it. I can install Win2k, but the onbord Nic refuses to work. Sigh...

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dizzy,

Is your NIC built into the mobo or is it a PCI card? Have you tried searching for updated drivers for your NIC?

Do you have a dual boot configuration?

What I would do is remove all of your non-essential hardware like: sound card, nic, capture card, etc... All you should have installed to begin with are your video card, cpu, memory, and the requisite drives that you'll be using.

Do a clean install of XP with this initial configuration. Then, one at a time, install each component until you have everything back to it's original state.

Make sure you have the latest XP-supported bios and chipset drivers for your mobo. As well, make sure you have all the latest drivers for your various hardware components. XP is quite good at detecting incompatable components, but it's a good idea to seek out the latest compatible drivers.

If you go to Microsoft's website and do a search for "windows xp boot disk" you'll find a downloadable image for your boot disks. This will enable you to do a clean install of XP. Make sure you get the correct image for the boot disks because the image varies depending on whether your installing XP Home or XP Pro. If you prefer to do an upgrade, I would start with a clean install of Win98 and then just upgrade to XP. The XP upgrade process is very stable and should give you no problems.

Good Luck,

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.