AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really a "fan club"/question thread.

This is the only game I own for the PS3. I am married with a new baby, so my gaming time is limited to weekends and the occasional jaunt midweek (not too often).

I am so impressed with this game.

IMHO:
1) An incredibly long single player experience. I have a 360 and own GOW and R6V. After playing GOW (great game!) Resistance's length seems supernatural
. I keep thinking, "there can't be another board!". I guess I have been conditioned with shorter shooters (Fear, GOW, PDZ, COD2)(note: Fear and GOW seemed shortish to me at the time, but PDZ and COD2 didn't until I played R:FOM) but I am blown away by how much content and playtime I have gotten out of the single player.

2) Smooth intuitive gameplay and character control. Everything flows very nicely. Movement seems buttery smooth and I rarely notice frame rate drops.

3) Best weapons in a FPS about ever IMO. The different types of grenades are sweet. And each weapon is actually useful, not gimmicky.

4) Varied and unique environments. Insomniac obviously worked really hard on bringing to life these different levels so there wasn't monotony (like in FEAR). Also varied gameplay. You need to do different things each level to succeed. Sometimes you have to go berserker. Sometimes hide and then pop out. Sometimes use tanks, trucks, stalkers, etc...

5) Seemingly flawless difficulty progression. This game has never frustrated me to where I was really P.O.'ed. Just the right amount of mounting challenges from level to level.

6) Rock solid visuals that pull this whole technically pristine experience together. Great charcter models, smooth animations, sick geometry and draw distance, excellent detailed environments, awesome and HUGE
enemies, great particle effect. They really worked on this game in detail.

7) Some of the best physics and particle effects in a game ever IMO. The way there are secondary and tertiary reactions in the environment to explosions in so cool. Also last night I was driving the stalker and was firing missiles at other stalkers. The smoke trails on the missiles was the BEST i have ever seen. Looked real inspots!

8) Glass. Nuff said.

9) At times so much stuff going on on-screen it's amazing.

8) Online rocks. A fast paced competitive experience that is highly addictive.

So now I ask myself, why is there not more said about this game from gaming critics. It just seems that despite the good/stellar reviews, I don't see people saying what I am. I loved GOW, but this game is far better IMO. I just don't get the lack of praise?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I will agree with you, I just finished my second go through of GOW on insane but I still am having more fun with Resistance (still not done yet). I love the online too, it is the first game I have enjoyed online since my old days playing the original counterstrike.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Yeah Im with you on that.. I just finshed RFOM for the first time, been playing it since a week after Launch. The game is long. And this one of reasons I got rid of my 360. The games look great, but the content wasnt there. Guess thats the limiting factor of the 9gig DVD. Game play vs graphics..choose one. I choose game play..and Graphics...LOL

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if other devs will spend the time and money to create long games where you really feel like you got a great value in R:FOM.

I guess I am just a little bewildered that the fact this is a launch title coupled with how it turned out isn't garnering more of a "Wow".

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
plus some developers underestimate the importance of a good story line. Resistance gets high marks for that!

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Almost 2 months into Multiplayer and not only am I not bored I have joined a clan for the first time in my gaming experiences which spans 30+ years. This game is so realistic and so immersive in HD if you stay on for hours, you almost forget how involved you get.

The update they did really made it an adrenaline rush when you respawn near your squad and the attacking and defending are constant.

Our clan being mainly older guys late 20's to 45(myself) have struggled a bit with deathmatch and a couple of other clans in particular that we know are younger guys, late teens and early 20's. Many times they kick our butts.

Then we played "our" game, Capture the Flag, Somerset map. We won 8 straight captures and both rounds, 8-0. We BS with these guys before and after and trash talk each other. It turns out that we play as a team and they play each and every one for themselves. It is interesting how that works as us older guys constantly communicate and work together.

Anyway, awesome game. This one title alone has many who play it online addicted.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 /forum/post/0

This is really a "fan club"/question thread.

This is the only game I own for the PS3. I am married with a new baby, so my gaming time is limited to weekends and the occasional jaunt midweek (not too often).

I am so impressed with this game.

IMHO:
1) An incredibly long single player experience. I have a 360 and own GOW and R6V. After playing GOW (great game!) Resistance's length seems supernatural
. I keep thinking, "there can't be another board!". I guess I have been conditioned with shorter shooters (Fear, GOW, PDZ, COD2)(note: Fear and GOW seemed shortish to me at the time, but PDZ and COD2 didn't until I played R:FOM) but I am blown away by how much content and playtime I have gotten out of the single player.

2) Smooth intuitive gameplay and character control. Everything flows very nicely. Movement seems buttery smooth and I rarely notice frame rate drops.

3) Best weapons in a FPS about ever IMO. The different types of grenades are sweet. And each weapon is actually useful, not gimmicky.

4) Varied and unique environments. Insomniac obviously worked really hard on bringing to life these different levels so there wasn't monotony (like in FEAR). Also varied gameplay. You need to do different things each level to succeed. Sometimes you have to go berserker. Sometimes hide and then pop out. Sometimes use tanks, trucks, stalkers, etc...

5) Seemingly flawless difficulty progression. This game has never frustrated me to where I was really P.O.'ed. Just the right amount of mounting challenges from level to level.

6) Rock solid visuals that pull this whole technically pristine experience together. Great charcter models, smooth animations, sick geometry and draw distance, excellent detailed environments, awesome and HUGE
enemies, great particle effect. They really worked on this game in detail.

7) Some of the best physics and particle effects in a game ever IMO. The way there are secondary and tertiary reactions in the environment to explosions in so cool. Also last night I was driving the stalker and was firing missiles at other stalkers. The smoke trails on the missiles was the BEST i have ever seen. Looked real inspots!

8) Glass. Nuff said.

9) At times so much stuff going on on-screen it's amazing.

8) Online rocks. A fast paced competitive experience that is highly addictive.

So now I ask myself, why is there not more said about this game from gaming critics. It just seems that despite the good/stellar reviews, I don't see people saying what I am. I loved GOW, but this game is far better IMO. I just don't get the lack of praise?

I am glad that someone else sees the original and true beauty of this game. hence its not the best, but it sure is the best LAUNCH Tittle I played by far. IMO if this is what PS3 is going to offer, and improve on. OH YEAH you bet ya I cant wait for more games to come. PM if you want to play online together, when you have time.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY /forum/post/0

I am glad that someone else sees the original and true beauty of this game. hence its not the best, but it sure is the best LAUNCH Tittle I played by far. IMO if this is what PS3 is going to offer, and improve on. OH YEAH you bet ya I cant wait for more games to come. PM if you want to play online together, when you have time.

That sounds good, but I only play Friday and Saturday nights. Because between work, wife, kid, house, etc. they are the only nights I play.

But my gamertag is gamelover365. Shoot me a buddy invite and I'll get it later tonite.

Yeah, this is the best day one launch game I ever played. It's actually a top tier game in my best of all time overall ranking. I am a FPS fan, so a lot of this is purely preference. The only FPS that compares for me is Goldeneye on the N64.

It also makes me excited about what this console could potentially do down the road as devs discover new ways to code games for the cell utilizing the SPE's maximally. The fact this is a launch game is good news for PS3 owners and the future games that are possible.

To compare to PDZ on the 360. PDZ had a lot of game element issues that made it a so-so single player experience for me. There were cool parts, but the negatives became a little too much as time went on. But to look at visulas specifically, PDZ seemed to really be an Xbox game with ultra high quality textures. Of course it did other things well in a visually technical aspect, but the textures were for me the main leap forward. What I like about R:FOM is that it is so much more than a PS2 game with a "new coat of paint". The game excels at particle effects, physics, enemies/action on screen, awesome vehicle interaction and unique gameplay situations. These are things that make the experience feel Next gen, not just look next gen. Again, I remain confused about the critics response. The only thing I can think of is that they didn't spend the time with it you need to (because the game gets more impressive as you go!).

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 /forum/post/0

What I like about R:FOM is that it is so much more than a PS2 game with a "new coat of paint". The game excels at particle effects, physics, enemies/action on screen, awesome vehicle interaction and unique gameplay situations. These are things that make the experience feel Next gen, not just look next gen. Again, I remain confused about the critics response. The only thing I can think of is that they didn't spend the time with it you need to (because the game gets more impressive as you go!).

I think the reason there isn't more hype surrounding this game is because of the obvious comparison to GoW. At first glance, GoW has better graphics than Resistance. In fact, when I first played the Resistance demo at the store I was not particularly impressed. After purchasing it, however, I appreciated all of its strong point that have already been discussed in this thread. I know many people who have played both games in depth that believe Resistance is the far superior game. Its online aspect is particularly addictive; I have not played a game online as much as Resistance since Counterstrike and Counterstrike Source.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW, I think GOW was a technical accomplishment in terms of visuals, and set a new standard in some respects. But there is so much more than textures and character models that make a game overall technically impressive ( I will not regurgitate the earlier mentioned aspects of R:FOM that make it superior IMO).

I wish to take nothing away form a feat like GOW, but only to wonder aloud where is similiar talk about R:FOM.

To answer my own question, I think it is probably due to the spot on marketing/hype Epic/MS craeted leading up to GOW's release. Also the fact that the install base of 360's was huge compared to PS3 at the time of the 2 games respective releases. And finally because most gamers probably don't appreciate the finer technical points to quite the extent that we do.

Online is unreal. I agree.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
My wife is addicted to online Resistance. I have a couple of BD movies I have been wanting to watch with her, but when ever we have free time for the home theater all she wants to do is play Resistance online.

·
Registered
16,923 Posts
Good game , no doubt but I think the reason it does not get more praise is because it just feels so 'been there done that' (along with many other current games) . The game feels just like Call of Duty to me (only with a much better story) and while it is a very solid game it just does not offer anything new and exciting (but what it does it does well) . Another factor is that the game is just very dull/bland looking through much of the game and we all know that graphics alone can garner more support . A good game and a great launch title . What the PS3 needs is something that really WOW's people so that they feel like the added expense is worth it (for those that only care about the gaming aspect) and R:FoM just does not deliver enough of that WOW to force most people to take notice . I think Motorstorm will end up being more of a showcase title than R:FoM .

----- Jason

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.