AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you fellow San Diegans out there, I found a Pioneer Pro 1000 HD on display at the Big Screen City in La Jolla (across from UTC in the Costa Verde Center). They are also displaying the Panasonic 42PW4. The funny thing is that there unit is happily buzzing away ..... :)

Don't expect to tweak the picture; they have the Pro 1000HD running HDNET only, the only DVD you can see on it is via a split COMPOSITE signal for heavens' sake, and I won't judge a picture on that basis, but it obviously lacked something. Still, I thought the blacks were better than I expected and HDNET, of course, looked great. My wife and daughter were with me and liked it too, but that frame - UGH. Good thing it is removeable. My wife's words: "that frame would have to go."

The Panny PW4 is running DVDs, via component directly to the plasma. They look damned good, better of course than the DVD via composite to the 50-inch, but that's not a surprise to me.

They also have the Sony 42 and the Pio 505.

Stereo Design on Clairemont Mesa (highly recommended audio dealer and installer -- I bought my audio and Meridian gear from him). Excellent installations, good customer service, liberal trade, consignment and upgrade policies, great store listening rooms, nice people ... but you will pay pretty close to list. However, he is both a Pioneer Elite dealer and a Fujitsu plasma dealer. He is planning to carry the 5002; he hasn't decided about the 4242 yet. He will call me when the Fuji 50 is in; if you're interested in seeing it, let me know and I'll let YOU know when I know, ya know? :)

Interestingly, he declined to carry the Pro 1000HD -- he didn't like the picture, thought the blacks were poor. He thought the 5002 was much better. Based only on a quick look, though, I thought the Pro 1000 looked pretty good, even on dark items, so I'll have to find somewhere to look at it more critically.

Just a public service announcement for those of you in the far Southwest.

Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
Interesting...They carry the Pio 505 and not the Pro 1000HD?

I've seen them side by side and there's a noticeable difference. Actually, there was no comparison. The 505 was inferior in every aspect - blacks, whites, colors, more pronounced artifacting, etc.

Hearing about the deep discounting on the 505, I went to a local store to check out the 505 when I discovered them both side by side. The Pro 1000HD has a picture that surely warrants a " few thousand" more price tag, in my opinion. Approx. $7,000 vs approx. $10,000? Hey, $3,000 is better in my pocket than their's...but there's really no contest in picture quality.

Perhaps, the San Diego store is looking to unload their 505 stock before they bring the 1000HD.

Needless to say that I did not buy the 505 after viewing it's replacement. Maybe I would have if I DIDN"T see the 1000HD.

Ken

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You misunderstood me. Stereo Design carries no Pioneer plasmas. Big Screen city has the Pro 1000HD and is "clearing" an old 505 demo model.

Sorry for the confusion. There is certainly no comparison between those two models, I agree.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.