AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me if all the claims of this unit are true it's the holy grail which I've been searching for. But alas, almost everything I read or hear about it sound disappointing. I'm looking for something with all of it's features but if the Sony is just frustrating to work with and other DVR manufactures (TiVo&RePlayTv) have similar units on the horizon I think I can wait. Please relay some of your stories good and bad.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not 100% happy -- it's not a TiVo. But it's a perfectly servicable box once you get past the guide issues and learn it's pecularities.

I've been waiting for a standalone HD TiVo box and I decided not to wait any longer. I want nothig to do with DirectTV and I've had an HD display which I haven't been using to its full potential.

Perhaps I'll replace it with a TiVo box when they come on the market and sell this as used. Perhaps I'll be used to it by then.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'll withhold my vote for now --- until Comcast gets my CableCARD working. This does not appear to be a Sony problem. The DVR works as promised, although it has a few quirks (menu and interface annoyances). It has been 100% reliable in downloading the guide and recording programs.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If I had to rely on the owner's manual for knowledge, my answer would be quite different. This forum has been the "holy grail" of product information.

The HDD250 does work exactly as advertised, with a little help from your friends.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not ever having a TiVo or Replay, this box (I have a 500) has worked exactly as advertised. Is the guide cumbersome? yes. Is it impossible to use? no

Picture is great. Recording of analog, digital and HDTV broadcasts is great. All my experience is OTA.

Rick

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The guide could be a little easier to use and move around but it has worked without a hitch to this point. I like several things this one does over my Toshiba DVD Hard drive recorder such as naming the programs being recorded, The fast forward speed is nice as well as you can turn it up high and miss the begining of the program you wanted to stop at and it goes back to it without you having to do anything.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamy
other DVR manufactures (TiVo&RePlayTv) have similar units on the horizon I think I can wait. Please relay some of your stories good and bad.
Really? Do you have any concrete info on a Tivo HD standalone DVR? They have talked about one for years but it has all been vaporware... :-(

peter

·
Registered
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumeria
Really? Do you have any concrete info on a Tivo HD standalone DVR? They have talked about one for years but it has all been vaporware... :-(
They've shown demos at CES. I believe they have them, but aren't ready to commit to production. They need to have two cablecards to support two tuners and they are a little peeved at the cablecos for dragging their feet on dual tuner support.

But TiVo has a deal in the works to supply a TiVo branded DVR to Comcast, so perhaps a standalone will follow shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I love mine so far. Very intelligent interface, works as advertised. In the past I had the LG lst-3410a and had to limp though with that, which worked fairly well for me but was extremely quirky to deal with and I would guess 80% of the owners had major issues with them. I'm getting very used to the TVGOS interface so in my eyes this thing rocks. Except of course the lack of a second tuner.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I love my HDD250 it works for me. TVGOS and all.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamy
To me if all the claims of this unit are true it's the holy grail which I've been searching for. But alas, almost everything I read or hear about it sound disappointing.
The features are great, particularly for those of us who choose OTA HD over cable and satellite. Quality of recording/playback is excellent, when it works properly. My specific unit has several problems though:
  • Major guide update problems: with no changes and with a crystal clear OTA signal, and with the PVR scheduled to turn off every night for updates, I sometimes get full guide info, sometimes partial and (more often than not), get nothing at all.
  • Random playback freeze: picture somestimes freezes or skips, mostly in recorded HD content. Sometimes waiting 15 or 20 seconds results in the program moving again, sometimes not.
  • Unresponsive to remote: more often lately, the unit becomes non-responsive to the remote where it takes 10 or even 15 seconds to respond to a remote command (very frustrating when FFing through commercials).
  • Signal breakup on strong HD channels - occasionally I get major signal break-up on otherwise good channels (like the NYC PBS channels). In these cases, a hard reboot (pulling the plug) usually solves the problem.

I'm contacting Sony to see about getting a replacement because if I publish a review of this one, it's not going to be pretty.

-CB

·
Registered
107 Posts
At CES a TIVO representative told me that the stand alone HD TIVOS would be out in about 15 months. That would put it around April 1, 2006. In the meantime, I am renting a SA8300HD from Cox Cable (cost is $27/mo for the service and the box) until something better shows up. Picture of the SA8300HD looks pretty good, but I have not attempted to use their guide and record with it. I am curious to know if the picture quality of the Sony is better than the SA8300HD from anyone who has had a chance to spend time with both of these products.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.