AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bought my xbox 2.5 years ago, this is the first time there aren't any games coming out in the near future that I'm excited about - it's very disappointing. I'm looking forward to ME2 and Bioshock 2 but I don't think they're due out until 2010. Anyone else feel the same way?

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
REALLY?

Here's my 360 GameFlyQ through December:

Wolfenstein

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Guitar Hero 5

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2

The Beatles: Rock Band

Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection

Halo 3: ODST

Brutal Legend

Borderlands

Alpha Protocol

LEGO: Rock Band

COD: Modern Warfare 2

Assassin's Creed 2

LEGO Indiana Jones 2

Left 4 Dead 2

Saboteur

Guitar Hero Van Halen

Add the PS3 games (Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 2) and a Wii game (Dead Space Extraction), and gaming in the near future is going to be very busy for me.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Absolutely not, this coming year still has tons of stuff I want to play. My must play titles:

- Borderlands!

- Left 4 Dead 2

- Alpha Protocol

- Battlefield 2

- Forza 3

- Operation Flashpoint 2

- Batman

- Shadow Complex

- Wolfenstein

Then you have ODST, MW2, Brutal Legend, and the exclusive PS3 games as well. Not to mention all the other stuff coming out that I can't even remember.

·
Registered
922 Posts
This summer has been a little slow (my wallet is thankful), but there are a bunch of games that look really promising coming out over the next few months. Beatles Rockband, COD:MW2, Brutal Legend, Assassin's Creed 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, DiRT2, DJ Hero...

Not to mention to the two you mentioned, plus Dante's Inferno is scheduled to come out in January, and that looks to be the Xbox answer to "God of War".

Personally, I'm having a hard time deciding which games I want to spend my money on (unfortunately, I can't afford all of them). So... I clearly do not feel the same way.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foosinho /forum/post/17008839

Personally, I'm having a hard time deciding which games I want to spend my money on (unfortunately, I can't afford all of them). So... I clearly do not feel the same way.

This.

I have more games I want to play then time/money allow.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I agree that it's been a slow summer but that's about to change, as mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Honestly OP, you must have a lot of time on your hands LOL. I was in EB Games the other day looking at the 1 and 1/2 walls of 360 games. I was like "Jesus, there's like 20 or so awesome OLD games I still haven't played, let alone all the new ones on the horizon." I don't think I'll be able to get the new xbox at launch when it comes out in a few years. There's no way I'll have played all the good 360 games by then.

·
Registered
728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDigger /forum/post/17008761

Since I bought my xbox 2.5 years ago, this is the first time there aren't any games coming out in the near future that I'm excited about - it's very disappointing. I'm looking forward to ME2 and Bioshock 2 but I don't think they're due out until 2010. Anyone else feel the same way?

I agree with you 100%. Only thing I'm excited for at this point is Dragon Age (and honestly, I think it's not going to be that great anymore since it's been EAized). Everything else is a sequel it seems, only fresh games from the xbox live arcade. Obviously the Halo and COD games will probably be cool, but honestly I've been playing these games for years and they're just not that exciting anymore. This whole generation of games has been pretty terrible overall in my opinion--hardly any groundbreaking games, just tons of sequels. I should mention that my two biggest game categories are sports games and rpg's, and those two have been a disaster this gen honestly.

Taylor34

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
I actually kind of agree with the OP. The second half of this year looks a lot less impressive than the past two years' fall lineup.

Since I've got music-game fatigue, I'm really only looking forward to:

Assassin's Creed 2

Borderlands

Alpha Protocol

L4D2

Uncharted 2 (on PS3)

That's pretty slim for a fall release schedule. Otherwise, all of my most anticipated games are due out in 2010. The rest of this year will be spent catching up on old games.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34 /forum/post/0

Only thing I'm excited for at this point is Dragon Age

You do know this just got bumped to November, right? Makes me think it might get further delayed (into 2010).

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good lord, how much gaming time do people actually have ? I finally got to check out the latest DLC for Fallout, the new maps for Call of Duty and Battlefield 1943. The new football games are out, Tiger Woods on the Wii with the new controller is a blast along with Wii Sports Resort and the list at the beginning of the post is pretty extensive. New DLC for Rock Band every week and the whole Arcade thing plus Netflix menus now on my 360. I could give up my job, my family, the gym and I still would have trouble keeping up with all the gaming content being shot my way.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Have the folks complaining about a lack of exciting new titles really played all the games worth playing that are already out? It seems likely that you've missed at least a dozen solid games which have previously been released. Rather than focusing on what is or is not coming out in the next 4 months, how about seeing what is out there that hasn't gotten the attention it deserves?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Still haven't gotten to L4D (still in the wrapper)...just finished Bioshock, but that's just me complaining about not having time and trying to catch up; did enjoy the Batman demo though, but I'll let a friend buy it and borrow it in a year or so at this rate....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have to agree with most on here.

Batman (pre-ordered)

COD:MW2 (pre-ordered)

NHL10

Assassins Creed 2

Halo: ODST

Plus Uncharted 2 on the PS3 (pre-ordered)

Looks to me there is plenty to look forward to, I just have no idea how I will find time to play all of these games......

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Have the folks complaining about a lack of exciting new titles really played all the games worth playing that are already out? It seems likely that you've missed at least a dozen solid games which have previously been released. Rather than focusing on what is or is not coming out in the next 4 months, how about seeing what is out there that hasn't gotten the attention it deserves?

Like what?? Most of the games listed above just don't excite me. As other posters have said, most of these are just rehashes of previous games. I don't care about another guitar hero. Batman, really? Is that a game I should be sitting on the edge of my seat for?? There is usually always one game out there that I can't wait to get but just not now.

Game sales have dropped dramatically the last 2 months - I think it has more to do with the selection (or lack thereof) of new great games rather than the recession.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDigger /forum/post/17012628

Like what?? Most of the games listed above just don't excite me. As other posters have said, most of these are just rehashes of previous games. I don't care about another guitar hero. Batman, really? Is that a game I should be sitting on the edge of my seat for?? There is usually always one game out there that I can't wait to get but just not now.

I can't possibly know how vast your existing games library already is, or what genres you enjoy, so it's hard to say. However, I know a few folks who have, say, 20 titles and think "there's nothing else out there", when in fact there are probably another 50 games worth getting that they've just never tried. A game doesn't have to be new in order to be good, and in fact there are often some pretty solid deals (in terms of price) for slightly older titles.

Just based on my own personal opinions (mileage may vary)... Here is a list, in alphabetical order, of titles that I think you should either play, or that you should have previously researched and definitively decided "not for me":

BioShock

Burnout Paradise

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Call of Duty: World at War

Crackdown

Eternal Sonata

Fallout 3

Forza Motorsport 2

Gears of War 2

Lost Odyssey

Mass Effect

Mirror's Edge

Rock Band 2

Saints Row 2

Tales of Vesperia

Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise

If you have some of these titles and have played them for only a few hours, perhaps you should revisit them and give them another chance.

·
Banned
3,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDigger /forum/post/17012628

Game sales have dropped dramatically the last 2 months - I think it has more to do with the selection (or lack thereof) of new great games rather than the recession.

more to do with recession. i've followed the trends from the beginning of this year. and yes for batman you should sit on the edge of your seat. September begins a huge dump of games (good and bad). try all the demos avail.

riddle me this... what type/kind of game do you enjoy? what systems do you have? do you buy more for "another" system? maybe its just your preference that you dont like 360 games? who knows? tell us.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
For myself, sometimes I'm just not in the mood for certain games. I'll go back to COD4 or something else just because it's fun and I can't gear myself up for something else. Have, but haven't finished:

Bully

Tomb Raider: Underworld

Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Dead Rising

ES4: Oblivion

Gears of War

GTA4 (stopped on last mission)

Fable 2

I also haven't even bought any of the downloadable content for Fallout. I need to just grind out a different game whenever I have a free day, that's how I finally finished Rainbow Six, Conan, The Orange Box, and The Force Unleashed.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It does definitely come down to user preference. I think there's way too much stuff out now and about to come out and I'm wondering how I'm going to budget time for all this, while my girlfriend (who generally only plays single-player story-driven games) has exhausted Mass Effect, Fallout 3, and Oblivion and isn't excited for anything that's coming out this year aside from Dragon Age and Assassin's Creed 2.

Personally, I'm excited about Forza 3 (I put 220+ hours into Forza 2, and I can't see why I won't match or surpass that with F3), Madden 10 (looks fantastic this year, but I can't justify it yet having just gotten NCAA 10), DiRT 2, Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol, and MW2.... which isn't a huge total of games but will easily equate to over 500 hours of gameplay for me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
riddle me this... what type/kind of game do you enjoy? what systems do you have? do you buy more for "another" system? maybe its just your preference that you dont like 360 games? who knows? tell us.

I only have a 360 and have been thoroughly enjoying it - I don't own any other systems. I enjoy the action, horror and RPG games (Fallout 3 but not really games in the medieval period).

That's a good suggestion to get the Fallout 3 DLC. There are still 2 more DLC I need to try for that game.

I just picked up FEAR 2 since TRU had it on sale. My point isn't that there aren't games to play (I agree there are) I was just saying that this is the first time since I've had my 360 that there isn't a game coming out in the next 2 months that I really need to get. Bioshock 2 and ME 2 both fall in that category but they're at least 4-6 months away.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts