Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its about the screen for an Infocus X1.

From what I've heard, the X1 is a relatively low brightness screen: Only 1000 lumens. Which is not very high for a projector.

That said, from my very limited knowledge in projector screens:

Silver is unafordable but offers the best image and brightness of them all.

Grey screen will add contrast, make blacks blacker, etc... BUT reduces the overall brightness of the screen. More expensive than white.

and a white screen well will be brighter than a grey, offering more vibrant colors, more luminous.

So being that the X1 has 1000 lumens, why would you choose a grey when it will definitely make the screen darker?!? On a very bright projector, sure, grey sounds good, but on a screen lacking brightness?? By using a grey screen, you remove brightness, and if the projector is not bright to begin, won't you just endup losing a lot?!

Take this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6&pagenumber=1

Quote:
What’s best for you? Of course it is important to match the best product with your own equipment and environment. In my case I went from a white screen which I loved, to a grey screen which took me a long time to get used to, and finally a silver screen which I’m having more fun with than... It’s kind of like the first time I started watching High Definition material…I’m still watching in awe.

If you want no-nonsense performance and accurate delivery of colors and whites I highly recommend a white-based screen. If you are trying to overcome some limitations of your equipment or environment, like poor black level, a grey screen may be for you. If you want what is possibly the best of both worlds and an awesome punch to your image, you should really consider what Silver could do for you.
Emphasis Mine.

If we checkout this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=240074

Quote:

1. Want simple? Choose white.

To keep it simple, stick with standard white. A flat surface and a flat white paint can yield a picture equal to the “finest†matte white screens in the industry. Smoother surfaces will yield the highest gain (~1) and more textured surfaces will reduce this. I highly recommend masking the non-screen portion with anything black. Paint, Cloth, etc.

2. Going Grey.

If you are confident that the deepest blacks are your primary objective you should try grey.
Color matching may not be that important, as I’ve seen a spectrum of greys from the manufacturers with little or no visual difference. Get a sample if necessary. Again, flat/eggshell, and possibly satin may be all the surface finish you’ll want. Any sheen like a gloss will definitely hotspot.

3. Thinking Silver?

Very interesting stuff. The movie industry started out with silver for a reason… low light projectors. Very similar to what many HTs experience. You can boost the gain through silver (as high as ~10 gain!). Unlike greys, colors and whites are vibrant and almost leap off the screen. However, silver obviously has the highest probability for hot spotting. The flatter the surface the higher the gain and more potential to hotspot. By experimenting with silver brightness, and with surface texture, you can come up with some amazing results. You can bet some manufacturers will be headed this way in the coming years.
EM

So my question is, wouldn't a white matt screen be better than a grey screen for the X1? I'm asking this because Infocus sells an 84 inch white screen and I haven't found any info on it. Mostly people seem to recommend grey over white matt... Is my above logic wrong? Woudn't a white screen be a better choice?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
As everyone had said before ... it all depends on YOU and your environment.

If you have total light control, ie. your projector in the basement of your home with no windows ... and you watch it with no lights on ... there may not be a need to go white.

The X1, IMO, doesn't have a problem w/ color.

IMO ... it's black levels could use some "help" ... so a grey screen would be in order.

It's all a matter of balance when you consider a budget projector.

For $1000 you get a projector that can show a pretty nice, colorful, large, image with some nice 3d depth. But you sacrafice lumens and black levels. Which is more important to you and how can you improve them in your environment.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I dont own an X1, but I have gotten to spend a couple of weekends with one, so take my input with that in mind. First, 1000 lumens is not low, my permanent pj is a Panny AE300, and in low lamp mode, it is rated at about 400-500 lumens, which in my light controlled room on a gray screen, I find to be plenty bright enough. Secondly, the 2000:1 contrast rating of the X1 does not mean it has lots of shadow detail and really black blacks. It does mean that it is more than capable of delivering these 2 attributes, but with some light control, and on a good screen. I personally used an X1 on my Dalite HCCV (a gray screen with about .9 gain) and it did look very bright and vibrant, even in low lamp mode as well. I am a firm believer in the gray screens, having used white and plain walls, (and even a bedsheet at one time ;) ) I really like the improved blacks that you get only with a gray material. It makes a big difference to be able to see details in very dark screens, more noticeably than the difference in the colors that you get between a white or gray screen. In summary, (and IMHO) you get less of a performance increase in color on a white screen, than you get in black and shadow detail improvement on a gray one. The only thing that would ever prompt me to use a white screen now, is if I had to set something up in a non-light controlled environment.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Grandarf,

this isn't a criticism, but it really sounds to me like you're trying to over-think this.

"So I guess the question is how bad are the blacks on the X1? Since X1 has a HUGE contrast (2000), I'd have guessed that blacks wouldn't have been too bad..."

let's make this issue a little easier for you [and everybody, let's not turn this thread into a good-blacks / bad blacks digression.] -- the X1 has been selling like hotcakes and been professionally reviewed several times and found to be a great deal for the money -- for what it does, at its pricepoint (and well above) It has good blacks.

you won't be using the X1's full 1000 lumens because they're only available in 'presentation' mode -- what you use when you show your powerpoint slides in a business meeting. you'll either use film or video mode, which is about 500 lumens.

Again, used in that way, the X1 is well-loved; it does a great job.

I'd suggest a couple of things -- buy/borrow an X1 and try it. shoot it on a white wall. play w/ ceiling mounting the X1 and positioning it where you want it to be. Then start thinking about a screen.

there are people who almost don't care about the type of screen they use, and there are those who get passionate about using XYZ screen, smothered in a white wine sauce ...

Try it -- see what you like, dislike and don't care about.

for my X1, I built a Parkland plastics screen (for durability reasons among others) -- and am very happy w/ the colors and contrast. I did have to tune a bit to get the contrast I wanted but did get it.

As far as a screen size goes, I would caution you against trying to shoot too small or too bright; try for 15 - 20 Ft/L.

as a hint, my 75" x 57" Parkland screen w/ a gain of .9 - 1.0 is about 16 Ft/L and I'm very happy w/ it.

as another hint, one of the cheapest and most effective ways to increase the perceived punch of an image is to frame it w/ a black borker. could be paint, fabric or wood ...

Good luck,

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.