AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've dug inside and out, forum after forum... And feel like Ive left no wiser due to all the misinfo out there.

Going to try to make this as condensed as I can.

I consume a ton of media. Gaming and movies in equal parts. I own all current consoles, as well as stream from web sources and via dnla from my pc.

I recently acquired a Sony xbr 950b and largely love the television. However I've been struggling to finish dialing in ALL the settings so i can do nothing but actually USE the darn thing with confidence.

So to the point. PS4 is set to auto as is the TV (dynamic range and color depth wise). The TV detects it as a full signal and all is well. The wii u only supports limited so I'm going to assume that's all its detecting :p

The problem, and reasoning for my post lies with the Xbox one. I changed it to pc rbg (what it is calling full) and I immediately notice all my greys are more like blacks now :p. If I go into the TV settings and change it from auto to full, all is well and goes back to looking right in the world. It's evident the TV isn't detecting the signal as being full for some reason.

Now that you know the backstory, here are the questions that have been bugging me.

1) it's my understanding that films are shot in limited range. If my ps4 is outputting in full, and I decide to watch a movie instead of game... What happens? Is it going to be innacurate? Will it change to limited since I have the TV set to "auto"?

2) depending on the reply to the former, with the Xbox, it won't allow me to run full if I have it set to "auto" on the tv. If I force to "full" TV-side will it behave any differently in regard to film instead of games relative to "auto" on the ps4? Also for 1&2, does medium make a difference? ie: bluray or ala usb or via Netflix etc?

3) xvcolor vs deep color = same thing when it comes to enabling or disabling? Will this effect accuracy?

4) I calibratdd the TV upon purchase in limited rgb. Will changing it to full render it moot and require me to re do it? Same with deep color on/off?

Let me elaborate on where I'm going with this in the hopes that you guys can square me away.

I'm tech obsessed and super anal. I don't like leaving things on auto. Ocd you can say. I know my TV supports deep color and full rgb, so I want to enable both for all inputs that are relevant, but not at any unknown detriment. For Sony owners, I need help with everything inside the "pro picture setup" section for what that's worth.

So am I safe setting the ps4 and Xbox one inputs to xvcolor and full instead of auto? Will it harm video playback?

What about the set top box/cable input? Does that need to stay limited/normal or is full/xvcolor okay? What about the Internet streaming settings?

Finally.. The standards. Can I change the sd 601s to 709s or must they stay 601?

I realize this is a lot, but trust me.. It's the truncated version. I've had very poor luck getting responses here so just know I tried my best to dig up difinitive answers elsewhere before I posted.

If the stupid TV would just detect the Xbox properly as being set to pc rbg, I likely wouldn't be posting. Since it's not, it started a shatstorm. :(

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Egads! I think I have a headache from all that and I feel your overthinking this but I'll try to help with a few items.

First of all, unless you own a Sony Video Camera with Deep Color that your using ignore it as almost nothing of any significance is being produced in Deep Color and if you have the correct cables to display it and content then it should be recognized as a pass through.

A BD is fully capable of passing through 24P and you should not have to alter any settings as the BD player shouldn't need your help and altering what the BD does can create SOE which most don't like.

XBox One playing games of course will be different as they are neither truly film/video but usually graphics rendering. I don't fully understand what your trying to do as the Console is not truly an HTPC though technically it's wearing said technology that is PC related but proprietary and limited in it's functions. Game Mode is purposely used to enhance/reduce input lag.

Never heard an owner with one of the best TV's available be so distressed about so many areas and I'd recommend you simplify and calibrate according to your input, it's content and your personal preference. I've cross compared your TV with a Samsung JS9000 with Maleficent within the past two weeks and the Sony easily won with BD feed while the Samsung slightly edged out the Sony with HDR treated material from Life of Pi.

Simplify and if it doesn't meets your needs return it. I apologize if I could not answer some of these questions but Calibrate and Keep it Simple and let your input sources do their thing or hire a Pro AV ISF Calibrator like member ChadB - Chad's quite a perfectionist himself..:)

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Limited is video levels (blu-ray, cable etc..), Full is pc levels. When TV is set to limited, PS4 should also be set to limited. Auto does not always seems to work on PS4 so you might want to check that out. There is no vx color content so you can forget about that (there are some consumer camera's that can record vx color though). Apparently some sony ''4K mastered'' blu-ray's have Deep Color , according folks impact is rather disappointing..

For further questions:
) http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/

) http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-playstation-area/

) http://www.avsforum.com/forum/141-xbox-area/

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate your replies very much. perhaps I made it a bit more complicated to understand.

Let me clarify.

I plan to set my TV to auto and my consoles to auto. In this setting my ps4 shows up as 12bit and full dynamic range. Xbox only shows up as 12 bit but TV does not detect full rbg signal from it.

What I'm trying to understand is if I force the Xbox to full by changing TV from auto to full, if there are any cons to doing so?

I'm not clear on how full vs limited work when it comes to games vs movies so if I were running auto on the TV for ps4 I "assumed" it would use full when needed for games/support and use "limited" for film due to "auto"?

Or is it a case of being set to full handling full and limitrd content properly without the need to be on "auto"

My concern is setting it to full and it habing a negative impact on films should I play a Netflix movie or a bluray on the Xbox.

Also - it has already been calibrated, it's my understanding that if it were changed to full a new calibration isn't necessary?

I hope that clears things up a bit. And thank you again very much for the replies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts