AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering this RP LCD, but I've got a couple questions about it...

First off, how critical is the viewing height of the TV? Currently I have a Bello stand which is 30" tall and I realize the TV (without the Panny stand) is ~35"H. I'm a little concerned about the height of the screen relative to where I, or anybody else for that matter, would be viewing the set. According to the Sears website the optimal viewing angle is 60 deg. (I suppose that means 30 degrees above and below dead center). Can anybody give me any feedback on this?

Secondly, can anybody tell me the dimension between the bottom of the TV (where it touches the Panny stand or your own stand) to the bottom edge of the screen itself? This would help me to see how the Panny dimensions compare/contrast to my current TV. Also, if anybody could tell me the overall height of the screen itself that would be great!

Thirdly, I was looking at the Hitachi 50" RP LCD, Samsung 50" DLP as well as a Sony GW II 60". I couldn't find a Panasonic anywhere to look at. How might the 50" Panny compare or contrast from these?

·
Registered
845 Posts
The truth is that you will be happy with anyone of those. PQ wise, they are all about the same. You will hear about arguments like how many angels can fit on head of a pin in regard to those sets. The deciding factor for me was the price.

Unless you have a streak of bad luck like Manpig. :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha. I think that's the first time I've ever heard that kind of response in this forum...

Can you explain why in stores then I see some RP LCDs that seem more grainy than others if they're all equal? Is this something to do with quality of the TV, feed, or settings that were implimented on the TV when I saw them?

I would still like to hear from owners of this Panny regarding my earlier questions.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The grain is from the matt finish on the screen and sometimes from the source itself.

I have this Panasonic and very happy with it. Your stand is too high, unless you have tall seats or a long neck. The ideal stand height for this TV is about 17".

·
Registered
31 Posts
The distance from the bottom of the TV to the bottom of the screen is about 9".

I have mine on an IKEA OPPLI stand which is 15" high. For me, (watching from a recliner), this about 1" or 2" too low.

The horizontal off-axis viewing seems to be very good.

Vertical off-axis is more severe. The screen is considerably darker when I view it standing up.

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
30" stand is way too high for Panny. The ideal height if the stand is 18"~20". The vertical viewing angle on most RPTVs are limited. The Panny is 60-degree vertical.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Like others have said, you really are going to need a different stand for this set, and any of its competitors. I had mine on my old 25" stand while I waited for my new stand to come in and it was way too high. I can't imagine what it would look like on a 30" stand.

I think my stand is around 19" high and it works quite well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
how critical is the viewing height of the TV?
My stand is 16.5" and is perfect viewing height for my couch and chairs (both 16.5"-17")

Quote:
can anybody tell me the dimension between the bottom of the TV (where it touches the Panny stand or your own stand) to the bottom edge of the screen itself?
8 3/4" - 9"

Quote:
Thirdly, I was looking at the Hitachi 50" RP LCD, Samsung 50" DLP as well as a Sony GW II 60". I couldn't find a Panasonic anywhere to look at. How might the 50" Panny compare or contrast from these?
I compared the Panny to the Hitachi and Samsung. I picked the Panny for price, inputs (VIP to me), PQ, size, and appearance. I made my decision because I feel the Panny offers the most bang for the buck. I've had mine almost a month and have no complaints.

Here's a picture of my Panny with a split-screen of Halo and Vice City (PS2 and XBox). The stand is visible in this shot....

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JGStenos: Nice setup. I can see you're a fellow gamer. I too plan on hooking up my GameCube and PS2 via component video (how do they look?). One question I have for you though is - how far away is your main viewing position from the TV?

Here's my latest TV search experience:

I went to Circuit City again today and I looked at the 43" Samsung RP DLP, 40 Panny RP LCD and also the 50" Hitachi RP LCD. The Panny and Hitachi were right next to each other and the Panny didn't look bad, but the Hitachi did look like the colors were a little richer. Although I'm sure after a little bit more fine tuning on the Panny you could get similar results to the Hitachi. The 43" Samsung didn't look bad either, but for the price I probably would pick one up. I did notice though that it seemed like the picture on all three were better if you were about 11 feet away. When I was closer things seemed more grainy. Can the grainyness be fixed at all? Realistically I'd probably be able to get 9-10 ft. away from the TV. Nobody seems to even have a Sony GWII to look at let alone the new 42" Sony GWIII. I'm really curious to see what the 42" GWIII might do for me, but it's hard to judge without seeing it. Does anybody know anything about the GWIII's?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nickeleye
JGStenos: Nice setup. I can see you're a fellow gamer. I too plan on hooking up my GameCube and PS2 via component video (how do they look?).
All 3 game consoles (XBox, PS2, and GameCube) look excellent when connected via component. I have a few 720p games for the Xbox and the graphics are incredible.

Quote:
how far away is your main viewing position from the TV?
The center of my couch is 9 feet from the tv.

JGS

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JGStenos: What type of TV do you watch? Do you watch Satellite, cable, HD stuff or what? I'd have a satellite feed over s-video.

Do you notice any grainyness at all? I can't believe you're only 9ft away. That actually gives me some hope.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nickeleye
JGStenos: What type of TV do you watch? Do you watch Satellite, cable, HD stuff or what? I'd have a satellite feed over s-video.
Other than using the Panny for my 3 game consoles, I use it as a computer monitor, for OTA HD, Cable, and DVDs. I've been very pleased with PQ, even with an analog cable feed.

Quote:
Do you notice any grainyness at all?
The worst quality picture is with analog cable, but it's as good or better than it was with my 7 year old Mitsubishi 4:3 RP. Picture quality is only as good as the source. If you feed it garbage, you will see garbage.

Attached picture: Windows XP desktop. Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse. The glare on the right side of the pic is a reflection of the camera flash.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I use a first gen Tivo with my PT50-LC13, and the picture is suprisingly livable. There are a few channels where it's pretty painful to watch, but most channels I receive are OK. Here's a screenshoot of ESPN, which looks decent for me. This is off my Tivo recorded at High quality (2nd best quality).

I forgot to pause the Tivo while taking the pic, so it looks even blurrier than normal. But even still, fast motion doesn't look very good with Tivo on this TV. I think it's mainly due to the artifacts introduced from recording with Tivo. It doesn't help that I'm not recording at best quality either, and my Tivo is hooked up via composite video cables (no s-video output on my cable tuner). Overall, it's definitely watchable, but just not very pretty.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sometimes, the pic just looks suprisingly clear too. This is also a Tivo screenshot, recorded at 2nd highest quality. This time, I actually remembered to pause before taking the pic.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Going through the attached images here, it's easy to see who doesn't have kids. :) It definitely changes how you deal with your setup. I like how JGStenos' setup looks, but I don't know if I'd like it that low. I'm so used to the image bottom of my current setup being at 30".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Beveridge
Going through the attached images here, it's easy to see who doesn't have kids. :) It definitely changes how you deal with your setup. I like how JGStenos' setup looks, but I don't know if I'd like it that low. I'm so used to the image bottom of my current setup being at 30".
I suggest not buying a stand until after you buy the TV. I noticed others were using stands much lower than I thought would be optimum for this unit. I used a coffee table as a stand for a week to check viewing height before deciding on what I wanted. Before doing this, I thought anything less than 24"-30" would be too low. After my test, I would have been happy with 16'-20". With my current setup (16.5" stand), my eyes are at the center of the screen. I'm 6' tall.

As for kids, I have two teens....

JGS

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Beveridge
This tv screen is considerably larger than your old set however, even if you wanted the bottom of the screen to be at 30", using the measurements given in the previous posts, your stand would be at 21" or so. Still slightly high IMO, I had mine on a 25" stand and it was definitely way too high. At 19" it's just right for me.

Of course, I don't have kids though -- I can certainly understand how you would want it out of reach of any young children.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I looked at many stands. I liked the Bello that is 18.5" high but did not want to spend $500. I ended up buying the IKEA OPPLI in black for $79. It might be slightly low but overall I like it. It has ample bays for components. Also I like the fact that it has casters. So far I am frequently having to pull out the stand to rearrange the cables in the back. During the recent east coast hurricane I had to connect rabbit ears to watch the Tenn/Fla game because the cable was out. Also I still do not have the VCR hooked up correctly to record through my AV receiver.

As someone mentioned the horizontal viewing angle is wider than the vertical one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.