AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dish advanced tech support needs to hear from you....

A few other forum members have experienced the channel switching problem when using the "*" key, or the SD/HD key, or under other circumstances when the channel you are watching is not in the active favorite list (this seems to be consistent). In my case, the channel switches to #989 (barker channel). If you have the problem, you probably know it well by now.

I spoke for about an hour with Dish advanced tech, and they were not able to duplicate the problem using their test rig, so it seems that only certain receivers are affected. Because of this, they need more people to call and give them the requisite receiver information so they can build their "uncommon event" database.

Here's what to do:

1. Call the regular CSR number: 1-800-333-3474

2. When you get to a CSR, ask to be transferred to "Advanced Tech" regarding the model 6000 software update.

3. The Adv Tech person will take down your problem statement and complete an "uncommon event" record. The more of these they get, the better chance of us eventually getting the problem solved.

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Gerald,

I was able to easily duplicate the problem. I went to channel 989 also when I hit the * button and I was watching a channel not listed in active guide. I'm almost always in the "All Sub" guide, so I never noted the problem until I just tested the scenario.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I finally have something I can duplicate.

I go to any guide and choose a channel. Let's say I go to my "Network" list and choose CNN, which changes to that channel. I click guide, then click guide again, which takes me to my "Info" list, which CNN isn't on. I click cancel and it takes me to Channel 580.

Interestingly, if I click recall, I get a dialog labled "Attention" with a code of 013 that says it's a subscription channel and to call Dish's 800 number to subscribe.

As I've mentioned at other threads, the reason that I'm getting Channel 580 instead of what you guys are getting is that 110 isn't working for me either because of a problem with my SW44 switch or with the LNB pointing at 110. Also, I don't have a Twin, but instead have two dual LNBs on my Dish 500.

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dennis-- I get exactly the same behavior with the guide button also, including the 013 error message. There appear to be several modes to this bug. Please pass this along to Dish if you talk to them.

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I hadn't really thought about the auto-tune, but that would seem to be a much bigger problem. After all, if you go to record something, you expect it to be recorded.

In my mind, the reason going to channel 580 or 989 is never normal in any case is that I never tuned to 580 until this software update. When I hit cancel, I always want to go back to the channel I was last on, not a promotional channel.

Still, the zoom and aspect ratio controls are working great now and much improved over previous software updates. And other than this glitch, no major new problems have cropped up, like the blackouts using 720p when the model was first released.

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For Dish to call this "normal" is pathetic!!

FYI, my settings are 1080i, component.

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
For me, the upgrade presents one annoying problem....

I often switch the system off while playing a CD music channel. When I go to switch it on again, I used to receive the same music channel playing immediately. Now I get a Dish promo channel, and have to manually input the original music channel in all over again. Bottom line: the channel that is active when the system is shut off is NOT the same channel that is active when the system is switched back on again. That is NOT what I want! Anyone have the same experience? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Admittedly, I just turned it off real quickly, but when I turned it back on, the channel that came back was CNN, which was the same as when I turned it off.

Do you enter the channel number manually? In that case, if the music channel weren't in the current guide, you would probably switch to the promo channel. I don't have any music channels so I can't exactly test your situation...

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:

Do you enter the channel number manually? In that case, if the music channel weren't in the current guide, you would probably switch to the promo channel.
Yes, I enter the CD music channel manually -- without even having the TV turned on -- and every time I've turned the Dish system off and back on again, that same music channel was active. The new upgrade has wiped that function out. BTW, I have since spoken to the DISH6000 folks about this. They said they are aware of this and some other glitches, and that they are monitoring this forum.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
So, I just got off the phone with the technician.

They say the behaviour I'm seeing with choosing guide, displaying a favorites list, then hitting guide to go the next favorites list, then hitting cancel, which takes me to channel 580 is normal. But It wasn't "normal" until this software update.

While on the phone, though, we were able to duplicate the problem with the "*" key taking you to channel 580, which isn't normal.

Go to a favorites list and choose a channel. Hit guide and go to another favorites list that doesn't have the original channel on it and choose a different channel. At that point you should be able to toggle between the two channels by hitting the recall button. Make sure you're on the channel that isn't in the current guide. Hit the "*" to zoom in and you should be taken to channel 580 or whichever Dish promo channel you're defaulting back to.

One thing I forgot to give him over the phone is that I'm using the 720p output via the RGB output. Are you guys using 1080i or 720p, RGB or component?

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

[This message has been edited by ultimate (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have experienced this same problem, with the *, CANCEL, and RECALL buttons. I have also got into the same situation when I set up an auto-tune timer - when the timer was activated, it took me to Channel 989 instead of the one I wanted.

I've called DISH tech service on Saturday, and the service rep immediately called a manager to talk to me. According to the manager, they would get back to me within a couple of days. They said apparently some receivers had been affected by the software upgrade. The manager appologized and expressed gratitude for the understanding.

I am planning to call again today after work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I forgot to mention, that I have asked the service technician to check the AVSForum message board where more people reported the same problem. This is what he said: we do monitor the message board.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
It happens no matter if you are in HD or SD.

I narrowed down the problem tonight, here it is:

Manually input a channel that is NOT in your current favorites list. I used 103. Now hit the * button to change modes and you will be whisked away via the Magical Dish Transporter to Ch 989! Lucky for me, Laurie was on when it happened.

Here's another way to make it happen: Stay on the channel you chose that is NOT in your favorites list, hit the GUIDE button, change to your favorites list that does not include the channel you are on and press escape. Same thing happens and Laurie shows up on my screen.

I called and asked to be forwarded to an Advanced Tech to report a bug and they let me right through.

Please call and report this bug, the CSR I talked to had not heard of it before.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marissadad:
It happens no matter if you are in HD or SD.

I narrowed down the problem tonight, here it is:

Manually input a channel that is NOT in your current favorites list. I used 103. Now hit the * button to change modes and you will be whisked away via the Magical Dish Transporter to Ch 989! Lucky for me, Laurie was on when it happened.

Here's another way to make it happen: Stay on the channel you chose that is NOT in your favorites list, hit the GUIDE button, change to your favorites list that does not include the channel you are on and press escape. Same thing happens and Laurie shows up on my screen.

I called and asked to be forwarded to an Advanced Tech to report a bug and they let me right through.

Please call and report this bug, the CSR I talked to had not heard of it before.

In my case, it happened even on the Timer Autotune. It happened between CNN and SHOWTIME, both are on my favorite lists. The error is random for sure, it does not happen all the time.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mds54:
For me, the upgrade presents one annoying problem....

I often switch the system off while playing a CD music channel. When I go to switch it on again, I used to receive the same music channel playing immediately. Now I get a Dish promo channel, and have to manually input the original music channel in all over again. Bottom line: the channel that is active when the system is shut off is NOT the same channel that is active when the system is switched back on again. That is NOT what I want! Anyone have the same experience? Any suggestions?

If you have that CD channel in the current guide list, that won't happen. Instead of entering the channel manually, select it from the current list or add to your favorites.

-Glenn

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did anyone get a callback from Dish CSR about this problem? I didn't, so I'll probably call again.

My assumption is that they have by now identified this problem as a software bug and will plan on fixing it in the next update. Unfortunately, these updates are getting further and further apart.

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.