AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Holy Cow!

Maybe it is worth waiting an additional 4 months...

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Ditto! where did you find these pics? Those are some stunning screen shots!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Looks to me like contrast was set a tad too high. Otherwise, looks pretty much like all the other D-ILA/LCOS projectors in screen shots including a slight blue push. Guess it can only be as good as the camera and home computer monitor.

Sorry.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
WOW! These shots are fantastic!

I will be auditioning the SX-21 at JVC Canada any day now & I'll posts my opinion.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Impressive indeed! :cool:

·
Registered
909 Posts
What is impressive is the quality of the digital camera which was responsible for the picture not the projector. Look at the clarity and definition of the first few shots of the projector itself...look at the definition of the cushion in the background.

The Dila is probably a very very good projector but I think you'll get zero indication from screen shots. The digital camera was at least 4 mega pixels and up. Must be a Canon G2 or somethin....

Any projection image would look sharp with that digital camera.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
It looks so tiny, like a LCD projector. The HTPC is hooked to the RGBVH BNC comp. 2 input and not the superior DVI input. Which is strange. :confused: There is also a MyHD remote in the first 2 pictures.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Agreed. That's one amazing camera, but the pictures don't say anything about the quality of the SX21. The blacks are clipped to zero so the contrast ratio is infinite, and the HDTV images are downrezzed to 810x460 which obscures the detail and scaling quality. Still nice to look at though.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I dunno... I'm no expert but my jaw dropped when I saw that last screenshot of Randall. I've never seen any better pics of displayed images here or anywhere else.

Heck, I'd have a hard time discerning this JPG from a promotional graphic created directly from Dreamworks. But then again, I'm definitely no expert and a sucker for a good clear image (and a fun movie also).

Steve

·
Registered
429 Posts
A couple of questions: According to the SX21 manual (available on-line) the D-ILA device is subject to burn-in (warnings against static images, overly bright images, etc). DLP isn't...ain't this a strike against D-ILA?

Also, this is a native 4:3 projector, with 16:9 images within a 4:3 frame. Aren't we HT buffs trying to get away from this??

TA

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
What is impressive is the quality of the digital camera which was responsible for the picture not the projector.

but I think you'll get zero indication from screen shots.
Exactly. I'm sure SX-21 produces some kick ass images considering many positive reports from CEDIA. But don't let these pictures fool you.

As I said, just have a look at them for fun. Some nice looking pictures though. :)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Timbelmont, burn-in generally isn't an issue with D-ILA, I think JVC only put that line in the manual to protect themselves. It is possible to get a latent image on the device if the COM voltages are incorrectly set by the factory, but even so it generally fades after a couple hours of use.

You can put D-ILA's into a 16:9 mode where the 4:3 image is within a 16:9 area, so it effectively becomes a 16:9 projector. You're giving up some of the panel, but the resolution of the 16:9 area is still higher than the best 16:9 DLP projectors. You can also attach an anamorphic lens to use the full panel with a 16:9 screen.

Cheers,

Dave.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.