AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left mine on 5.1 uncompressed but was curious is this still the best option for gaming and if I actually use the XB1 for blu-rays? Would I be any better off using Bitstream DD? What are the pros and cons of the "5.1 uncompressed" option and the new "Bitstream DD (or DTS)" option? Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliano611  /t/1520411/for-those-of-you-with-a-...what-sound-option-are-you-using#post_24424994

I left mine on 5.1 uncompressed but was curious is this still the best option for gaming and if I actually use the XB1 for blu-rays? Would I be any better off using Bitstream DD? What are the pros and cons of the "5.1 uncompressed" option and the new "Bitstream DD (or DTS)" option? Thanks

Uncompress 5.1 is lossless while DD 5.1 is lossy . Uncompress is far superior to bitstream

·
Registered
347 Posts
Most AVR's cannot properly process the multi channel pcm stream. What I mean by this is if you send a pcm uncompressed signal to your AVR, you would need to increase the LFE level by 10db. This is a flaw in how modern AVR's process the stream. Some AVR's can process the the signal properly, you just have to research your AVR. Bit streaming is better because your AVR can properly process the the sound. Most games are mastered in DD or DTS to produce the proper sound for the game. PCM is an old technology for old AVR's and people who cannot or will not upgrade their AVR for sentimental reasons. There really is no reason to use pcm. Most modern TV's have DD decoders built in and take a bit stream signal from your Xbox.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts