AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you tell me if this was something that started right out of the box or was it something that came on with time and very suddenly.

The reason I ask is because I've owned a 40GB PS3 for all of three weeks now and I've run across, and inadvertantly fixed several issues. And if something like this has been done please forgive me but I did spend more than an hour doing different searches trying to find something but came up empty....

For the first week of ownership I pretty much plugged it in and started downloading demos & playing games and it was, by far, one of the quietest machines I've used in a long time. Much more quiet than my Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox, etc.

Then I started tweaking, and switching things on that my hardware supported....enabled streaming, 96+khz audio, WMV, etc.....well it all worked fine and dandy but when I went back to playing games I would get the hairdryer fan syndrome within about an hour of playing. No ramping up to that full speed, just full speed with no warning and then it wouldnt ramp down without me physically powering off the system. This would happen while playing the demo for DirT, demo for SSD HD, the full version of Assasins Creed, and full version of Resistance but it would NOT come on when playing

Ninja Gaiden Sigma or playing a DVD/Blu Ray or when browsing files in XMB via streaming or a connected external HDD. The thing is that the PS3 is horizontal, on a table in the open, and there wasnt a hint of warm air coming out of it before, or after, the fan kicked in.

Now I was a little nervous and was on the brink of returnuing the loud POS but I figured I'd do a full format/reset the system to factory default (with the 2.10 FW). Well, fired it back up, setup the A/V, installed AC, SSD HD, and Resistance and no noise whatsoever. So I figured maybe one of the other demos somehow "flipped a switch" in the OS and would cause that problem but I got nothing. Still quiet as a mouse.

So I've decided to do some "testing" and again reformatted reset my PS3 but this time I am keeping a log of everything that I am doing on it from downloading a demo, installing it, installing a full game, watching a DVD/Blu Ray, browsing the web, etc. So far after a couple formats I have not been able to trigger the fan issue again no matter how many hours of gameplay I log onto it and no matter what combination of games I load onto it. My first thoughts were that it may have been the hard drive getting fragmented and heating up due to excessive scans across the platters for data but I think that is shot because I have dl'ed/installed/deleted so many demos of different sizes and different in orders and brought my disk to the brink of being full that if it was a HDD issue I think I would have come across it.

So now I am going to start flipping switches in the setup...Full-color, super, white, WMV, ATRAC, etc....one thing at a time and still continuing to log it all. If by chance I flip a switch and manage to get the hairdryer again I'll reformat, try it all again, and flip the "offending" switch first to see if it is the lone culprit or an accomplice to another.

As I've seen others say, it is most likely in the PS3 software, and I hope to figure out what combination of things may cause it.

So can anyone that has the noisy fan tell me if it goes away for them to with a "fresh-out-of-the-box" format/setup?

I'll keep pople posted if I find anything juicy....

Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Interesting.

I have the 60GB and yeah, my fan loves to kick in, and yes, I have all the features of the machine turned on.

I'm curious if you come to a certifiable conclusion that indicates that enabling features does in fact increase the heat within the system.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshandler /forum/post/12885451

Interesting.

I have the 60GB and yeah, my fan loves to kick in, and yes, I have all the features of the machine turned on.

I'm curious if you come to a certifiable conclusion that indicates that enabling features does in fact increase the heat within the system.

Thats what I want to find out....it'll take a while with format, install, test methodology.....

You dont know how pissed I was after spending $600 for the PS3, games, cables, and accessories that a week later it could be heard over a 600W amp at about 1/4 volume. Well, maybe you do

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well, to be honest, although I'd obviously prefer it to be whisper quiet all the time, I'm at least confident in the knowledge that the noise is at least a great indication that the system is doing it's job.

If the fans weren't on, that heat would still be inside the unit, free to cause all sorts of damage. When they're cranking, I look at it as my $600 unit keeping itself in good health.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshandler /forum/post/12885576

Well, to be honest, although I'd obviously prefer it to be whisper quiet all the time, I'm at least confident in the knowledge that the noise is at least a great indication that the system is doing it's job.

If the fans weren't on, that heat would still be inside the unit, free to cause all sorts of damage. When they're cranking, I look at it as my $600 unit keeping itself in good health.

But if you found out that by simply disabling 196khz audio sampling your PS3 would drop 30 degrees and the base fan speed would be more than sufficient to keep it at operating temperature, wouldn't you want to do it? After all, the faster the fan spins the more wear you are putting on it. Then when the fan goes early your processor will just melt. Then you'd have wished you could have not had it running at top speed all the time That's called Xbox360 syndrome

·
Registered
947 Posts
Interesting. What are some of the things that I could turn off to see if it changes anything? I don't want to do the reformat now, but I'm curious if just turning some stuff off that I have on now and is not really doing anything for me would make a difference.

Look forward to your conclusion.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have a 60gb ps3 that is relatively quiet, however, the fan seemed to kick on more often after the upscaling was enabled for PS1/PS2 and DVD's. Now that it's winter, it's not an issue, but when it got 74 degrees in my house in the summer, the PS3 fan turned on, especially when upscaling games or DVD's

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight /forum/post/12887191

I have a 60gb ps3 that is relatively quiet, however, the fan seemed to kick on more often after the upscaling was enabled for PS1/PS2 and DVD's. Now that it's winter, it's not an issue, but when it got 74 degrees in my house in the summer, the PS3 fan turned on, especially when upscaling games or DVD's

The thing is on the 40GB model, which has NO BC at all, it still allows you to turn on upscaling & some other option related to PS2 & PS1 compatibility and I may have flipped those both on and not paying attentionto what I was doing. I'd like to think I was smart enough to turn those both back off but, again, I'll post up when I know more.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
I'd try exchanging the unit.

Very few people are reporting the degree of loudness you're experiencing, so I doubt anyone will have a very reliable suggestion for decreasing the fan noise.

The only problem with exchanging the unit, though, is that you'd probably be returning it to the store you bought it from, which would mean you'd probably be getting a unit from the same production batch, which would mean it would probably have the same combination of components (fan and drive) that's causing the high level noise.

If you do a search for threads like this in the forums, you'll notice that generally this is how they work: someone (like yourself) has a loud fan and starts the thread, everyone else posts about how their unit is rather quiet. Arguing ensues about people's relative tolerance for fan noise. Person (you) who started the thread gets annoyed that everyone is accusing him of being too sensitive to the noise. Thread continues. Rinse, repeat.

Point being, you've probably got a particularly loud unit. They're not common. There're no known fixes. Rather than trying to find a magic settings fix, I'd try an exchange and see what happens.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My fan gets super loud if I leave the PS3 inside my entertainment center while playing, but if I pull it out and put it on the floor where its much more well-ventilated, its completely silent. So consider ventilation if you have your ps3 crammed in some tight spot or surrounded by other stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
PLEASE keep us updated corona. i have the 60gb and it's VERY i mean LOUDER than an xbox 360

i'm thinkin of trading for 40gb+cash because this is getting on my nerve. just idling on the XMB the fan kicks in very high. it's winter and my heater isn't on still the ps3 kick in high gear

·
Registered
27 Posts
Man I really feel sorry for those of you with this issue. It is NOT normal and quite honestly it is fairly rare to have a ps3 THAT loud. My friend has a launch 20GB model that is and has always been whisper quiet and my 40GB model is whisper quiet. I honest to god can not hear mine at all even with my ear resting on the console.

As with anything people tend to come to forums to complain and looking for answers and not to praise a product. So you tend to see negative reports of things like this when in reality the people with issues like this are actually few and far between.

With that said I suggest people get there console repaired or replaced. If the replacement unit also does the same thing I would start looking for other reasons that might be causing the problem such as........

Poor ventalation (this also includes the possibility that electronics around it are putting off heat even if you think it is well ventalated. Try setting it out in the wide open with absolutely nothing around it)

Higher than normal room tempature (some people like it warmer than your average person)

·
Registered
781 Posts
I had my first PS3 for about 8 months with no issues. After that, the fan became louder after an hour of use. It got to a point where it was just too annoying and my 1 year warrenty was about to expire so....I took it back for a new one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 40gig just started in with the fan noise during COD4. Its been quiet for everything else, BD movies, demos, assassins creed. Hopefully its isolated to only that game.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Interesting thread... subscribed.

My 60gig launch unit doesn't have an obnoxiously loud secondary fan, but it has been noticeable -- usually during movie up-converting. I haven't heard it in a while, so I just chalked it up to the summer months.

One thing I will submit to the conversation is this: once when I was vacuuming, I ran the vacuum hose over the vents on the front bottom and side. Afterwards, I don't think I heard the secondary fan... so maybe it cleared out some dust or gunk that was causing the unit to heat up?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
My new 40 GB fans kick in every once in a awhile, but it's no where near as loud as the OP specifies. in fact even with the fans kicked on, they are very smooth sounding and tolerable, yet still pretty quiet.

it's no where near 360 jet engine sound levels though!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a 60GB bought in Nov. During SD DVD Upconverting, the fan is very loud, gaming is moderately loud, blu-ray, is also moderately. The fan is always audible. The loudest is about equal to my PS2. My PS3 is on top of a shelf in the open and I have a Nyko usb remote controll plugged in.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
maybe a dumb idea but ill ask anyway.

do you guys think by placing the ps3 on metal it would help with the heat issue since metal absorbs heat pretty good?

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 /forum/post/12926160

maybe a dumb idea but ill ask anyway.

do you guys think by placing the ps3 on metal it would help with the heat issue since metal absorbs heat pretty good?

but then the metal will heat up aswell. maybe a small quiet fan would be better. of course then you've have to balance the PS3 on the fan pretty good.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts