AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to gain knowledge before committing to a server and client. I have looked at unraid and it seems to be a good solution as a server, but can you run programs like my movies server on it? I would like to rip discs on my desktop to the server, and have the metadata lookup handled by the server if possible. If not, what's a better solution? From what I can tell, WHS is really not good for storing large amounts of data, because it does not use raid?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
to do that you'd have to add VMWare or VirtualBox to unraid (fully documented in the forums and Wicki) and run a virtual Windows which could then run your apps.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I use Unraid and MyMovies. Just run the server on your desktop that you use to rip the movies and point it at the unraid shares. It takes two boxes, but it's the easiest thing to do. Or you could just run the server on your HTPC. It doesn't need to be on the same box as the files.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/18217372

Or you could run unRAID inside a VM. I've been experimenting with unRAID under ESXi 4.

How's that working ???

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
It's runs, but I've barely played with it. I hacked it together with 3 virtual discs across 2 physical ones, so performance isn't that great. It was mainly to see if I could get it to run.

One of these days I may try a better experiment with RDM (Raw Disk Mapping) and pointing the unRAID VM to real, independent disks.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff99 /forum/post/18217778

I use Unraid and MyMovies. Just run the server on your desktop that you use to rip the movies and point it at the unraid shares. It takes two boxes, but it's the easiest thing to do. Or you could just run the server on your HTPC. It doesn't need to be on the same box as the files.

So, the MyMovies local data would be on the desktop, and then the movies and their associated data would be on the unraid server? That seems to make sense.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen /forum/post/18271100

So, the MyMovies local data would be on the desktop, and then the movies and their associated data would be on the unraid server? That seems to make sense.

I'd think the MyMovies metadata would be stored with the movies on the unRAID server. But, I think MyMovies runs a database or something like that and that would be stored on the desktop.

Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts