AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have multiple TV tuners in MCE 05. How do you know what tuner you are recording from? Let's say I have a cable box feed via S-video and a regular analog feed via a regular cable line. I want a particular show to record via the cable box feed and not the analog feed. Does MCE give you a choice as to which tuner to use when you set up the recording? I will be using the MS IR receiver with IR blaster to my cable box. Hopefully it works well. I'm not setup just yet to test it myself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you set up MCE05 that way, your recordings won't work correctly. The program guide is going to list all of the channels you receive from your cable company, and both feeds into Media Center must carry every channel in the guide.

The reason is that Media Center does more than just record a set channel at a set time, like a VCR does. It adjusts its recordings to situations that change such as a show being pre-empted and shown at another time, where it would conflict with another show to be recorded if it could only use one tuner. Even those 1 or 2 minute overlaps into the next hour that networks sometimes do with shows, from 9:01-10:01. Media Center needs to be able to rely on that second tuner receiving the same channels as the first one so it can do its thing.

Your best bet would just be to have your cable company get you another box and hook that up to the second tuner. They shouldn't give you any trouble about having two boxes to one TV, or just go to a walk in center and pick it up if you think they will. The MS IR receiver is equipped to handle two IR blasters just for this configuration.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That sucks, I already give the cable company enough money. I really don't want a second box. Yet things I record on a regular basis use the cable box but others don't need to. Seems like a really simple fix for the Microsoft TV team to add an option in your recording menu for which tuner you'd like to record what shows on. Doesn't make sense to me to be limited like this. I'm going to have three tuners in my new setup two analog and one digital. I assume MCE is smart enough to record the digital HD channels using my HDTV card?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The way you're suggesting MCE should be set up, then every time you click on a show that you want to record from the guide, you then have to click on something else to tell MCE which tuner to use to record it on? And then for all the series recordings you have, you would have to make sure none of them have a tuner conflict at the same time as another series. My parents can just about use MCE now, that would make them go back to their VCR!

If you think about it, the method that MCE uses allows a lot more flexibility in recording possibilities than the way your suggestion. For the "cost" of requiring both of the signal inputs to be from the same source, MCE can juggle your scheduled recordings around whenever situations like pre-empting of a program, those network shows that start at 8:59 or 9:01, or even just someone changing the channel during recording.

I wasn't so sure about it when I first set it up either. As it turned out, here in NY, Cablevision only charges me about $5 a month for the second box. For the amount of money you probably already have invested in the equipment to use MCE, you really shouldn't try to cripple it just to save five bucks.

And for your other question, once you install the digital TV card you'll see that MCE uses a different series of channel numbers for the digital channels, so it will know what card to use for shows on those channels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.