AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any word on if we are going to get it back for free? I hate to loose HD channels, even if I don't use it much (lack of interesting programming).

Maybe if they stopped showing their own programming during all the prime-time hours, they would get more viewers? I don't care for any of their original programs that they put on there during the hours I can watch.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Yeah, why is it that HBO nearly always strikes gold with its original programming and yet SHO's always sucks?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SVonhof
Any word on if we are going to get it back for free?
There will be no further free Showtime HD from DirecTV. It was always just a fluke, and nothing more.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Funny I have Comcast HDTV, in Philadelphia, and have been getting Showtime HD free from them for the last year.....and this just stopped. I wonder if there is any connection....probably not.

I pay for HBO, and get HBO-HD still. My bill used to say SHO-HD free, and no longer says that (I wonder if Showtime started charging for their HD broadcast, so comcast is passing the charges on to us.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I still get the entire Showtime package free and my on-line account shows: Showtime $0.00. However, on my most recent bill it was explained as Showtime Free 3-month preview. So in another 2 months, I will lose it also.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Bleh...Showtime doesn't have any good programming, and the maybe one good movie a month you'll see on there doesn't justify the extra $10 for me. HBO is more than worth the $12 for just the original shows alone, and add in great HD movies... it's a no-brainer. But Showtime? I think I watched Sho-HD maybe twice during the last few months.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I thought about the Sat-C issue too but I remember some talk about future HDNet's or other HD programming using that sat, so it wouldn't be a waste. I think a lot of people got it for free anyway.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I have seen the comment saying that one of the issues may be that there is not enough bandwidth to support more HD channels. So, this doesn't make sense to me, if they have the 110 bird that only has Showtime HD, and nothing else. I don't know how much bandwidth it takes to push an HD channel, but the other sat that is pushing HDnet and HBO-HD is also doing all the spanish channels right(non-HD). That means that they should have at least the bandwidth to do 2 or 3 HD channels on the 110? Maybe CBS, ABC and NBC should be coming over it?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
HBOH & HDNet shared a single transponder on 119W for a while with no problems, so 110W could carry up to 6 HDTV channels. There may be a question whether both channels on a shared transponder can support both 5.1 audio and closed captioning without compromising video resolution.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Thats not accurate, Unc. For 2 reasons. For one thing, when the 2 channels were sharing a transponder there were in fact issues on the channels especially during fast action sequences. Many people witnessed that. And for another more obvious reason, if they could get away with it without issues the way things are currently configured on their end, you can rest assured they would still be doing it because it would be freeing up that whole extra transponder at 101.

Thats not to say they might not have some options like that on 110 because of differing FEC for example compared to 119.

·
Registered
120 Posts
So...

Is SHO-HD really the only programming service on 110? Also, how many transponders are available on the c-sat?

In other words, what availablility is on 110?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
Thats not accurate, Unc. For 2 reasons. For one thing, when the 2 channels were sharing a transponder there were in fact issues on the channels especially during fast action sequences. Many people witnessed that. And for another more obvious reason, if they could get away with it without issues the way things are currently configured on their end, you can rest assured they would still be doing it because it would be freeing up that whole extra transponder at 101.

Thats not to say they might not have some options like that on 110 because of differing FEC for example compared to 119.
Dan, nice to see you back. Thought you'd abandoned us around here. :D

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Just lost my SHO-HD tonight. I flipped by this morning and it was there....tonight it's gone.

I checked my online bill and where it once said SHO-HD, it is now gone.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. 7 months for free and I probably watched all of 2hrs of programming on there. At least I got a free Sat C kit out of the deal. Maybe that will be good for something down the road.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I had a very interesting conversation with a CSR about this today. I had just received a refurbished DTV1080 from Zenith with the patch to fix the infamous firmware issue. I had to call Directv after moving the access card to reactivate it.

When she asked if everything was OK, I played dumb and mentioned that SHO-HD was no longer working. Both 543 and 90 on SAT-C give the "call 721" message. She said that I should be getting a picture on both of these staions, and tried several different things, including putting me on hold to check with some others. After nothing worked, I asked if possibly I had to now subscribe to Showtime to get 543. She surprised me by saying "NO"! According to her it is still a separate line item and it should be working. She then arranged a service call for Friday to have a tech come look at my dish and check if everthing was OK. (I have the Protection Plan, so this is all covered at no cost).

I am getting 90+ on transponders 8, 10, & 12 on SAT-C, so I don't see how there could be anything wrong there, and even if there was, it should say "No signal" instead of "call 721".

So, that is a new spin on this, and now my question:

Is anyone getting 90 or 543 now?

Mike

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I'm still getting all SHOW and TMC channels for free, but according to my most recent bill, I have a 3-month free subscription (that ends in late Jan.). My on-line bill shows: Showtime $0.00.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MSloss
I had a very interesting conversation with a CSR about this today. I had just received a refurbished DTV1080 from Zenith with the patch to fix the infamous firmware issue. I had to call Directv after moving the access card to reactivate it.

When she asked if everything was OK, I played dumb and mentioned that SHO-HD was no longer working. Both 543 and 90 on SAT-C give the "call 721" message. She said that I should be getting a picture on both of these staions, and tried several different things, including putting me on hold to check with some others. After nothing worked, I asked if possibly I had to now subscribe to Showtime to get 543. She surprised me by saying "NO"! According to her it is still a separate line item and it should be working. She then arranged a service call for Friday to have a tech come look at my dish and check if everthing was OK. (I have the Protection Plan, so this is all covered at no cost).

I am getting 90+ on transponders 8, 10, & 12 on SAT-C, so I don't see how there could be anything wrong there, and even if there was, it should say "No signal" instead of "call 721".

So, that is a new spin on this, and now my question:

Is anyone getting 90 or 543 now?

Mike

One thing please. Get her name and extension and when she is on shift.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.