AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any dropped frames, do you typically convert the file into a divx after a while to save space, or do you just use the hard drive for time shifting then delete the content?

Aaron Wilson

·
Registered
877 Posts
The HD cards record the exact stream as it is broadcast. There are only dropouts if the source has dropouts. If the source is perfect, the copy is perfect.

I keep everything on HD's myself. I don't archive much, so I'm sticking with HD's for now. Others use DV tape or DDS tapes or DVD-R's. Depends on what your intended uses are.

Chris

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Quote:
or do you just use the hard drive for time shifting then delete the content?
With the AccessDTV, (The only card that can truly PVR timeshift?) I typically let the buffer fill up for say 20min on an hour long program then start watching. I then fast forward thru commercials and end just about real time. No deleting is necessary. I don't have access to anything that I want to archive (HBO / Showtime) I have no interest in archiving network movies. I do have a growing collection (50+) of musical acts from the Tonight Show archived to CDR.

Dave

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Could somebody provide some HD recordings for evaluation?

I am located in Europe so we do not have access to such material.

On the other hand I have access to Pansonic 50" plasma display

connected to to dual Athlon Windows XP machine which serves as

digital TV decoder.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The problem with transport stream samples is the size...they're very very large. Also, playback without a HD card is tricky...I've never gotten it to work without playing back through the card directly though some claim to have had success.

-Trouble

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joel Schnur
HiPix works great!
Ditto.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just a thought...It seems like with files this big it might be best to just trade hard drives UPS style. I would bet that is the fastest way to move 160 Gb of...

Question: How well does DivX compresion work with a HiPix file? Can it be cut in half or more without artifact damage?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.