1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Deutsche Grammophon is also selling FLAC-encoded 44.1/16 files, which are cheaper than the same files offered from Music Giants for some unknown reason. They have some really nice things in their initial offering of 50.

Linn Records also has hi-res multichannel PCM downloads. Linn themselves offer some expensive network music streaming devices.

How do people listen to the multichannel material? Do you burn a DVD-A?

--Andre

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OB,

That's very cool indeed!

I'm just an old RR fan from the early vinyl days.

Lee

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC /forum/post/15427895

Here's an interesting supply of high-resolution 2 channel music:

http://www.referencerecordings.com/HRx1.asp

Lee

We have some of the MusicGiants Super HD recordings and they are extremely good. Most of these downloads are 24/88.2k. The native 24/176.4k recordings from Reference Recordings are stunning! For anyone interested, we'll be demonstrating some of these at CES. Robert Harley just raved about the Reference Recordings HRx series in Ab Sound. Although we use our own server and a different DAC, we understand why the HRx recordings recieved the "Tech Break-through of the Year" award. Properly managed, bit-perfect high-rez recordings are a sonic experience not to be missed.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneobgyn /forum/post/15432474

For those Playback Designs users there is a firmware update done with a simple download that enables their DAC to go to 192 as well as 176.4

In what way it that better?

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I still don't see what the big deal is?

Why only two channel? Why not multi-channel?

The music selection looks severely crippled as well, IMO.

I'm all for slightly higher than 44.1 kHz and 16 bit resolution, but how about some modern material and the option of 7.1 channels.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I think the appeal is that for the first time you can get a bit for bit identical file to the digital master in it's native format in your own home, assuming you have a music server as the HRX files will not play over CD/DVD/BD. This offers huge potential as the entire digitally recorded universe of discs, or potentially a large subset of master recordings could begin to come available to us in the digital realm. Think of your favorite albums not available on any format other than CD then having access to that original digital master.

My understanding is that there are only 2 DACs that can do 24/176.4k right now, the Weiss and the Berkeley Alpha DAC. The real question is how do these stack up against reel to reel analog tape in a head to head?

Regardless of which would end up on top (I suspect strongly that a good 2nd gen analog R2R will edge it) there now exists the potential for widespread access to digital masters of tens of thousands of digital recordings that we've only heard in redbook so far. Obviously, not a lot of these recordings are multi channel. Can we hold out hope that BD has the capability to someday offer us higher rez audio only discs and there is a market to drive commercial audio releases of this format? Hmmmm

·
Banned
8,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1 /forum/post/15437878

Apologies, the bluesmoke does it as well of course. A rapidly changing landscape. Will be going to check out the Berkeley ASAP at Goodwins !

I have not heard the RR HiRez albums yet but those who have have all been emotionally moved. All I can say is that if they are better than tapes from The Tape Project recorded at 15ips then we are truly onto something. I have never heard anything in audio as good as the Tape Project

·
Premium Member
13,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1 /forum/post/15437777

My understanding is that there are only 2 DACs that can do 24/176.4k right now, the Weiss and the Berkeley Alpha DAC. The real question is how do these stack up against reel to reel analog tape in a head to head?

The Benchmark DAC does as well.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneobgyn /forum/post/15431565

Here is one better

www.musicgiants.com

in what way better? I don't think they have anything close to HRx yet...

This is ushering a new era in music reproduction..

.. The Benchmark DAC1 is one of these products which will never cease to amaze.. Incredible price and from all reports superlative performance...

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1 /forum/post/15437777

My understanding is that there are only 2 DACs that can do 24/176.4k right now, the Weiss and the Berkeley Alpha DAC.

The MSB DACs also handle 24/176.4k and 24/192k. They also design their own chips, a pretty rare practice for a high-end DAC manufacturer. We're hoping to see a next generation flagship chipset from them at CES.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrantzM /forum/post/15438743

in what way better? I don't think they have anything close to HRx yet...

FrantzM,

It's probably the selection of music that is more appealing from MusicGiants. Reference Recordings has a limited catalog, and much of it is more "esoteric" content that may not be everyone's cup of tea.

As stated by Owl1, this is the first opportunity that consumers have gotten to hear exact duplicates of master hi-resolution files. That's why I posted the Ref. Rec. link.

As OB knows, my taste in music can delve into some strange areas, so the esoteric RR catalog has many items I've enjoyed.

Lee

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.