AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called a local/popular A/V store that is supposed to specialize in higher end audio.. anyways, I asked a few questions as I have Def Tech speakers that have powered subs in them. They suggested that if i get an external sub (which i'm going to) that I should basically daisy chain the external sub with the lfe inputs on my front speakers (pb7002s)... somehow this didn't sound right, but am wondering what your thoughts are?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I had always wondered about this as well. I have similar floor standing DT's and had never hooked them up via an RCA to the sub out on the receiver, I'd always just used a regular speaker cable and left it at that. Doing it this way, you could totally tell the sub's on these speakers were being used because any time my normal sub's played something, the subs on the DT's played as well. I'd assume that these DT's have a built in crossover to pass the lower frequency stuff directly to the built in sub's.

I guess either way will get you the same exact results?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just for fun, I used the lfe inputs tonight for the first time and set all of the speakers to small. I played with it using WOTW which I had never used on these speakers before so it probably wasn't a good comparison. Either way, I didn't notice a huge difference in sub output. I will likely take off the lfe inputs and put the front and center speaker back to large until I get my sub. If leaving the fronts on the large setting when I get a sub, would there really be a need for daisy chaining and using the lfe inputs on the front speakers?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp /forum/post/18157419

I had always wondered about this as well. I have similar floor standing DT's and had never hooked them up via an RCA to the sub out on the receiver, I'd always just used a regular speaker cable and left it at that. Doing it this way, you could totally tell the sub's on these speakers were being used because any time my normal sub's played something, the subs on the DT's played as well. I'd assume that these DT's have a built in crossover to pass the lower frequency stuff directly to the built in sub's.

I guess either way will get you the same exact results?

Btw: did you notice a pretty significant difference when you used your external sub along with the DTs rather than just using the DTs?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr /forum/post/18157591

Btw: did you notice a pretty significant difference when you used your external sub along with the DTs rather than just using the DTs?

Yup, definitely. I have 3 SVS cylinder subs though which put out quite a bit of bass. With those I couldn't say for sure how much the DT's help in this regard, I would think not much.

I've never tried playing em without the subs just to see how they sound on their own. As is the DT's sound AWESOME. With the subs it makes for a very satisfying overall sound.

I love bass though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.