AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the RCA unit be force to Re-Download it's OS without taking out the hard drive?

I am trying to see if there is any way to hurry up reciving the 3.7 upgrade

insted of just wating around for it.

·
Registered
17,685 Posts
Unless you are specifically targeted for the upgrade, "forcing" a download would not get you 3.7 any faster. I believe some here have mentioned successfully downloading a fresh copy of the 3.5 OS via the Jenny code, even when they already have that version. However, 3.5 is all you're gonna get until it's your turn.

·
Registered
17,685 Posts
OK, I'm gonna be a team player here and give it a try myself to be sure I'm giving the right info. I just entered the code and started up. It dialed in and asked for a code (I assume this is something for the beta testers - anyone have confirmation of this?).

Immediately after, it said "We have deleloped an upgrade for UltimateTV. To continue using UltimateTV service, you should download this upgrade. Press Continue to begin the download. It will take approximately 104 minutes.

I pressed continue and am now on part 15 of 282. Oops! Make that 16. It's flying pretty good. At this rate, it may be less than 104 minutes. The connection seems fast.

We'll see what happens.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
I should know the answer to this, BUT...

Does forcing the download using the Jenny code delete all of your current recordings?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Keep us posted on the results.

I was under the impression that re-downloading the software (if it did re-install it, from past experience I thought that it did not reinstall the software if the current version was the latest) did blank out the machine.

Let us know,

Mike

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi NetworkTV,

I and at least one other person on the forum tried this already. You are getting 3.5. I believe what someone else observed about last year will probably be true this year; the modem download server will have 3.5 until a while after 3.7 has been released to everyone. So even if you have 3.7 right now if you use the Jenny code you will get 3.5. I don't recommend that number8 or anyone else with 3.7 try to verify this as DTV may have pulled their upgrade from the satellite stream and they could be stuck like the rest of us.

After doing the Jenny code (I used the short version) the only changes I noticed were that my digital sound and TV size settings were reset to the default instead of where I had them. Also, channel 100 reappeared in my channel list even though I had deleted it. Finally, I think I had to reacquire the guide. Other than that, there were no changes to my settings or recordings.

Clip

·
Registered
17,685 Posts
Confirmed: It re-downloaded 3.5. I figured it couldn't hurt to try with the recent news of someone actually getting 3.7 and to get a definitive answer about it. However, it does confirm that you can re-download the same software. Of course, my system info now lists the software as "factory installed" instead of the date of the original 3.5 upgrade I got last year. I think someone else meantioned that, as well.

Yes, the settings went back to default and the guide is starting to trickle in as I write this. However, the shows I recorded are still there in "My Shows."

·
Registered
777 Posts
What does your poll have to do with your topic???

Matt

·
Registered
17,685 Posts
Update: I had a little scare a while ago. I looked in my history and saw that only one tuner was operating. However, after cursing myself for messing around with a perfectly operating machine, I discoved that, when swapping the cables where they come out of the wall plate (easier to reach), the problem did shift. I checked the dish and finally narrowed it down to the cable when it got TO the wall plate (back side, inside a closet) The cable was simply loose from when I was moving some stuff around in there and probably jarred it. Signal back in the high 90s on both tuners.

Whew!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.