AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The software OS version 110 has a major dial up "net connect" bug that I think through my extensive testing I have tried every other trick etc.. what I've been able to determine comes down to the size of HD you have installed and how much stuff you got recorded on it, i.e. 200 GB 7200 rpm 8 MB cache Maxtor hacked vs. 80 GB 5400 rpm 2 MB cache Maxtor that came with the unit. Each HD has the same 5.0 version 110 of OS with the only difference being that the 80 GB is empty with no recordings saved and the 200 GB is 1/2-3/4 full with saved recordings. This maybe why some of us report not having any trouble with a dial up net connect and others always have their units hang.

I have swapped both HD back and forth many times, the 80 GB doesn't hang on the forced "net connect" dial up and the 200 GB always hangs on the forced "net connect" dial up right after it gets to "checking for new replay software". It my be possible that this 5.0 version 110 some how looks for the size of the HD vs. the model no. or serial no. of the unit then when it senses a larger than normal space or HD that was recorded on it crashes the unit. Since I'm sure that DNNA (ReplayTV) already knows about the HD hack project swap out trick, this could be their little gift to force us to buy units with only the HD size that came with the unit since they do control the software OS.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just some info to add to your testing:

I forced a download of the new software per ReplayLyndon's directions on another post.

The unit seemed to work OK for a few days. It now hangs up on the software download. I have tried to unplug the unit (hard boot), but it still has the hang up problem.

This is with dial up, on a NON hacked 5160.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
That last post was confusing... I thought it was doubleposted... use the quote button to easily quote any message, thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by PBFR270
Just some info to add to your testing:

I forced a download of the new software per ReplayLyndon's directions on another post.

The unit seemed to work OK for a few days. It now hangs up on the software download. I have tried to unplug the unit (hard boot), but it still has the hang up problem.

This is with dial up, on a NON hacked 5160.
Question? How much stuff do you have recorded and saved to your non hacked original HD is it 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 full etc...

P.S. Sorry about the double post from before I hit the wrong button!!

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Strange thing about your speculations....

Software resides on partition 1, the OS, the assets, the guide data and all downloaded data.

The second partition, is the MPEG partition.

Partitions are independant of each other, the one drive is 2 virtual drive through paritioning. Unless the mpeg partition is used for decompressing or combining data I don't see how the mpeg's partition free space has any effect.

Here's what I suspect.... minimum file sizing (block size).

For example I'll give the system has a 400K partition. Let's say the block size is 4K. A file on the disk takes up at least 1 block or 4K. If a file is only 2 bytes it will take 4K on the disk. 100 2byte files would fill up the 400MB partition.

The same may be true for what you are seeing with the 200GB drive vs the 80GB drive. The system partition is something like 500MB, I have no idea how much is used, but this could be what you are seeing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I doubt there's really any correlation to the hard drive. I had this hang within a few days of installing my stock 5080. Perhaps 2 hours had been recorded on it by then.

It seems that this problem can get triggered by a connection problem, and once it happens once it will keep happening, UNTIL you do one of the following: 1, follow ReplayLyndon's procedure ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...06#post2634306 ), or 2) switch to ethernet, have a successful connection, and switch back to modem (don't forget to reboot after switching back). I stumbled on #2 accidentally (switched to ethernet hoping it would work better, which it did, but I got tired of having the ethernet cable strung across the living room).

Since I did the above I have not had a recurrence, but other people here have reported it recurring after varying amounts of time, so I'm guessing perhaps a dropped modem connection triggers it. If it keeps recurring for you after a few days, try another local access number.

Hopefully this will be fixed for sure in the next SW release. It's a big issue for us modem users!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.