AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just let know for people that had problems whith HDTV over dvi that nvidia relese the 66.81 beta here is www nzone com remeber this driver

are beta so there is NOT support for them .

Release Highlights:

Updated driver to WHQL Certified driver for GeForce 6 series only

Adds support for GeForce 6600 series GPUs (products supported)

Added support for using HDTV over DVI connectors

Added support for advanced DVI timing on all GeForce 6 series GPUs

Updated Application Profiles allows users to associate color settings and store multiple profiles per application

Added support to recognize and display monitor name in all control panels

Supports 512 MB frame buffer GPUs

Added supported for TV/HDTV setup in the nView Display Setup Wizard

Updated Gridlines to for easier grid setup and management

Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c and OpenGL® 1.5 support

·
Registered
450 Posts
I used this driver on a friends machine, and it worked great. I was easily able to get perfect 1280x720 with absolutely no overscan.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tito48

Added support for advanced DVI timing on all GeForce 6 series GPUs
As far as I can tell, you still can't use advanced timing via DVI to correct the EDID problem with displays that don't report all available resolutions with the 66.81 drivers.

Perhaps in the next release the button will be there to do this. It's possible they just forgot to add the button but the functionality is there. I'm hoping the next drivers will be leaked/released soon t solve this.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
It's unfortunate that they still haven't addressed the EDID bug... not surprised as NVidia has demonstrated time and again that they are not dedicated to supporting HDTV. This driver release would appear to support that once again if you're correct that it's not fixed...

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
66.81 has the button missing on cards with an internal TDMI, as I posted about two weeks ago. The button is coming. If someone would get off the stick and leak a new driver, we'd have the button as well.

Unfortunately, as I found out the hard way, there is a lot more to getting 1080I working with an HDTV than just the timings. The 1080I HDTV standard calls for a completely different sync delivery system than 1080 to a computer monitor, which is one of the reasons ATI cards only deliver 540P over DVI.

Vern

·
Registered
125 Posts
My update:

TV Spec: Sony KF50WE620 LCD RP

PC spec:

P4 2.4g

1G RAM

nVidia gF4 Ti 4400 128MB

I got around to bring my computer home where my TV is and tried it with the 66.81 driver(where as the previous time I was using the 61.77). Set the res at 1280x720 @ 60hz. And the result is the same overscan. However I was able to go into a new panel in the videocard control and set the card to recognize this as HDTV, and set it to display with some underscan to show the whole desktop. Without fiddling with timing and anything else, the card adjusted it to underscan by shrinking the resolution slightly to 1177x662 and other than the slightly smaller desktop in which my wallpaper cannot display in fullsize, everything else is fine. At the moment I still don't know how to play with the timing in nVidia's advance timing feature and when i try for the higher resolution it still flickers like mad, but at least now this is working quite well. Whats more this opens up some the same resolution as an option in some games as well. In EA's F1 Challenge I was able to select the exact res as my desktop and it will run the game at the 16:9 aspect ratio with proper aspect ratio and no flickering. Same applies with the Rainbow Six 3 as well.

If you have a nVidia card and you are just an "occasional" user for your PC-HDTV application this new driver is a bliss....

·
Registered
125 Posts
RacingManiac

Might you tell us the name of said "new panel in the videocard control" where you set the card to recognize this as HDTV? THis might be interesting to look at.

thx

i

·
Registered
26 Posts
this is from a post I just submitted in the projection area:

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on AVS, though I've been lurking for a long time. I just got a Sony KDF-42-WE655, and it was my intention from the start to use it as a HTPC. I am connecting through HDMI with a Geoforce 6800 GT using the beta 66.72 drivers.

Like others who had tried connecting a PC to a GWIV, I tried 1280 x 720 first. And the overscan was pretty severe. I went through some of the menu's in the Nvidia control panel, and I managed to get a pretty solid desktop at 1177 x 662. (see attached picture)

I did this through:

1)selecting “nView Display Settingsâ€on the foldout Nvidia menu.

2) “Sony TV†was already filled out as current display – I then selected “Device Setting†-> “Select TV format†-> “advancedâ€

3) Hitting the “HDTV Desktop†button brought up another box, where I selected “Use underscan to show the entire Windows desktop†- selecting this set the display to 1177 x 662, where is seems to fill the screen perfectly.

This may not be 1:1 pixel mapping, and I have not tried powerstrip yet...but it is much better then the sever overscan at 1280 x 720

·
Registered
125 Posts
when you go into the vid control for the nVidia card there is this list of tree on the side of the dialog box, it should be the 2nd option down that tree(the first usually is the model of your card). I think it's called "digital display" or something. You click it and it shows you what display you are using in one of the drop down box. Near the bottom of the panel there are 2 buttons, "detect display" and something else beside it. From that other button it pulls out a menu and there is a check box for treating it as HDTV and another option that pulls out another menu that you can select 480i, 720i, 1080i and "advanced". Click advanced and another dialog box will open and there is a button where you can click and it opens another box you can choose display with under scan, native HDTV resolution, or over scan but the screen will shift to the over area when your mouse moves there. I only used the underscan, and I tried the shifting thing and my TV didn't like that and it just went black. And I had to reboot it with XP's F8 boot menu to boot it into VGA mode to reset stuff...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Josey_Wales
this is from a post I just submitted in the projection area:

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on AVS, though I've been lurking for a long time. I just got a Sony KDF-42-WE655, and it was my intention from the start to use it as a HTPC. I am connecting through HDMI with a Geoforce 6800 GT using the beta 66.72 drivers.

Like others who had tried connecting a PC to a GWIV, I tried 1280 x 720 first. And the overscan was pretty severe. I went through some of the menu's in the Nvidia control panel, and I managed to get a pretty solid desktop at 1177 x 662. (see attached picture)

I did this through:

1)selecting “nView Display Settingsâ€on the foldout Nvidia menu.

2) “Sony TV†was already filled out as current display – I then selected “Device Setting†-> “Select TV format†-> “advancedâ€

3) Hitting the “HDTV Desktop†button brought up another box, where I selected “Use underscan to show the entire Windows desktop†- selecting this set the display to 1177 x 662, where is seems to fill the screen perfectly.

This may not be 1:1 pixel mapping, and I have not tried powerstrip yet...but it is much better then the sever overscan at 1280 x 720
^ thats what I did too. I just can't get those name now because I moved my PC back to my res now and the driver setting does not show that "nVidia display setting" in the dialog box anymore, maybe it only uses it under DVI port....(I connect to my LCD monitor with VGA port)...

·
Registered
125 Posts
RacingManiac,

It appears that you were connected to you TV via DVI. Is that correct? If not, how were you connecting your TV to the 6800GT?

i

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.