AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why use slides when you can use a video that has the equivalent of 1000+ slides? :D

I used a little AVIsynth-foo to create a full screen "break-in" / pixel aging video that on playback should produce every one of the 255 possible 8-bit values for red, green, blue, & gray/white. Each color / slide equivalent is displayed for 6 frames (~0.25s).

The video contains a R, G, B, & W ramp-up and ramp-down sequence.

If your Smart TV or playback device complains about an unsupported or invalid audio track, try the .mkv with the embedded silent 1 second mp3 audio.

Stats:
Duration: 8:31 (m:s)
Codec: H.264/AVC (Level 4.1)
Frame Rate: 24000/1001fps

The video is compressed per blu-ray specifications.

720p Links: (zip files)
MKV (214kB)
MP4 (201kB)
MKV w/ 1 second "dummy" mp3 audio (215kB)

1080p Links: (zip files)
MKV (245kB)
MP4 (232kB)
MKV w/ 1 second "dummy" mp3 audio (246kB)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why use slides when you can use a video that has the equivalent of 1000+ slides? :D
Sorry, I don't understand..so if I use this video instead of the slides the break-in period can be proportionally smaller??? or the break-in period must last the same 300 hours aprox independently of the use of one or another method?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I don't understand..so if I use this video instead of the slides the break-in period can be proportionally smaller??? or the break-in period must last the same 300 hours aprox independently of the use of one or another method?
I don't have any reason to believe the video will "break-in" or age the pixels faster than the slides. It certainly will put many more different luminance conditions on the subpixels during the process than the slides though.

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
I don't have any reason to believe the video will "break-in" or age the pixels faster than the slides. It certainly will put many more different luminance conditions on the subpixels during the process than the slides though.
It might be better, but might not--->I'm not convinced that the smoother color transitions are helpful. I have to wonder if part of a break-in (particularly with the OLED business which is very confusing given the reports from Vinnie97 and ThePlague13) is from more abrupt jump discontinuities.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It might be better, but might not--->I'm not convinced that the smoother color transitions are helpful. I have to wonder if part of a break-in (particularly with the OLED business which is very confusing given the reports from Vinnie97 and ThePlague13) is from more abrupt jump discontinuities.
I guess it depends what you're trying to do with the slides / video. I could make a video with very abrupt transitions instead of smooth color transitions that ramp up and down. Inducing seizures wasn't part the original idea.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made a test clip with a sequential R, G, B, W ramp up and down. ie: R1, G1, B1, W1, R2, G2, B2, W2, R3, G3, B3, W3... up to 255 and back down. So they're doable to make, but the resulting file is a bit larger, and I'm pretty sure that watching the resulting video on the TV is not a good idea.

Do you have a particular sequence you'd like to see?

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
I made a test clip with a sequential R, G, B, W ramp up and down. ie: R1, G1, B1, W1, R2, G2, B2, W2, R3, G3, B3, W3... up to 255 and back down. So they're doable to make, but the resulting file is a bit larger, and I'm pretty sure that watching the resulting video on the TV is not a good idea.

Do you have a particular sequence you'd like to see?
Back when we were talking about the various problems folks were having with the EA9800, I was speculating that sweeping 1 pixel wide super bright lines might be worthwhile. Long discussion there, but I was pondering the effects of changes in brightness and a sort of "degaussing" that might occur.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So moving a white single pixel width horizontal line vertically and/or a white single pixel width vertical line horizontally?

And, an alternating full field flashing black white pattern?

The latter is easy to make with AVIsynth. Without looking into it, I think the first one is a more difficult to make.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried any of these videos on their smart TV?

I received my PN64F8500 this morning and it complains every time it starts playing or loops back to the beginning of the .mkv or mp4 file (on repeat) that it has a unsupported audio track with a message that pops up in the middle of the screen. The message seems to stay there until you pick either OK or STOP. Obviously that's not a desirable characteristic for unattended pixel aging / "break-in" usage. I tested a few different test clips with silent "dummy" audio tracks (mp3 and aac) and that problem went away. It looks like any supported audio track, even a 1 second track makes the Samsung happy.

I have added the mkvs with 1 sec silent "dummy" mp3 audio track to the first post. If that doesn't solve the problem for anyone, let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
good info, I could make a video with very abrupt transitions instead of smooth color transitions that ramp up and down. Inducing seizures wasn't part the original idea.thanks for your sharing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts