AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted to these forums since I upgraded from a CRT rear projection TV to an LCD circa 2010. At that time I received a lot of great support during my transition. So I am reaching out again in my time of need.

This time, the topic is audio. I am about to move into a semi-custom built home that includes a home theater. Most items are already set (projector, screen, room dimensions, receiver, seating, etc) and bought and paid for.

The only remaining debate revolves around the speaker setup. Currently I have 4 bookshelf Klipsch SB-3 and a Klipsch SC-1 center speaker that I have enjoyed for the past decade or so. But I want to upgrade. I'm a big fan of Klipsch (with JBL and Sony being a close second in brand loyalty). It is my understanding that the Reference series of Klipsch is the closest replacement to my current Synergy speakers. That is why I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of open box R-26F "reference" series floor standing speakers at $269 each (discounted from $349 each).

I refrained, and instead did a little more research/price comparisons. My understanding since is that the Reference II series is the higher end speaker from Klipsch and usually priced to match, but for whatever reason (the release of the Reference series III maybe?) are currently heavily discounted. So I am eyeing a pair of Klipsch RF 62 ii mains to pair with my decade old SC-1 center and SB3 satelittes that currently comprise my 5.1 setup.

My plan is to get a pair of RF 62 ii's, and match them with the SC-1 and 4 SB-3's in a 5.1 setup. Which leads me to my question.

Will the new Klipsch tower speakers match well to my existing system just because they are the same brand, or are there better front mains that I should consider (preferably from my top 3 brands) and not worry about synergy of fronts and rears?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
What is your budget?

Klipsch recently came out with the new Reference Premier series.

The front stage will cost anywhere from $950 to $1250 depending on the size of center and bookshelf (Left/Right/Center) speakers you purchase.

These are the RP-160M which is a 6.5" driver bookshelf speaker, these are sold as pairs: http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RP-16...53&sr=8-1&keywords=klipsch+reference+premiere

Klipsch also have smaller 5.25" bookshelves as well.

This is also the large center they offer for the matching series: http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RP-45...75&sr=1-1&keywords=klipsch+reference+premiere

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is your budget?

Klipsch recently came out with the new Reference Premier series.
Well my budget is virtually zero because I don't NEED to upgrade and I am blowing my entire budget on building a new theater. I've just always loved the look of floor standing speakers, and if I just got a new FR FL pair, I could turn my 5.1 setup into 7.1, and potentially improve the audio of music and movies.

My concern is adding mains that are from a completely different line than the rest of my setup (center channel included) not being a good idea. I can't afford to upgrade every speaker; if I HAD to I could be convinced to get a matching center to go with the mains.

I am eyeing the Klipsch 62 II's because they are at least from the same manufacturer as my existing setup, and they are being heavily discounted right now.

Is it a bad idea to do that much mixing and matching? Or if mixing and matching is fine, are there other tower speakers under $600 per pair I should be looking at?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Well my budget is virtually zero because I don't NEED to upgrade and I am blowing my entire budget on building a new theater. I've just always loved the look of floor standing speakers, and if I just got a new FR FL pair, I could turn my 5.1 setup into 7.1, and potentially improve the audio of music and movies.

My concern is adding mains that are from a completely different line than the rest of my setup (center channel included) not being a good idea. I can't afford to upgrade every speaker; if I HAD to I could be convinced to get a matching center to go with the mains.

I am eyeing the Klipsch 62 II's because they are at least from the same manufacturer as my existing setup, and they are being heavily discounted right now.

Is it a bad idea to do that much mixing and matching? Or if mixing and matching is fine, are there other tower speakers under $600 per pair I should be looking at?
Ideally, the only speakers that need to match are the front three. If you find a nice discount on the Klipsch Reference II series towers and it's what you want, then go for it. You're like me, I would rather have towers than bookshelves. I personally just love the look so much better. I would also consider upgrading the center. During movies, the center channel carries over the vast majority of dialogue. It plays a very important role.

I try to keep my surround not matching from the fronts to save money. They don't need to be of the same quality because of their role, generally background noise and action - which doesn't require much power from your receiver at all. But my surrounds are of the same brand.

I would justify getting a good discount and use the money saved to get a matching center.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ideally, the only speakers that need to match are the front three. If you find a nice discount on the Klipsch Reference II series towers and it's what you want, then go for it. You're like me, I would rather have towers than bookshelves. I personally just love the look so much better. I would also consider upgrading the center. During movies, the center channel carries over the vast majority of dialogue. It plays a very important role.

I would justify getting a good discount and use the money saved to get a matching center.
See that's the thing; my center doesn't really leave me wanting during films the way my front mains do for 2-channel music and the like. And if I am blowing money I don't really have on 2 speakers already, it gets really hard to justify buying 3. But, I was pretty sure that's how things would shake out anyway. My new theater is a much larger room than I'd had previously, so I probably will feel underwhelmed once setup in there with my current speakers.

But heck, if I'm going to upgrade the entire front sound stage anyway, might as well not narrow my search to just Klipsch. Anyone got a set they love and would recommend? or at least some option?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Since you have no budget.... why not look into the used market and investigate a pair/trio of LaScalas?

Or, if you get lucky.... a pair of Khorns in the corners and a LaScala under center.

Then there are the Cornwalls....
(perhaps more reasonable of the above mentioned, I'm just a fan of the horn loaded bass bins)

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I would look in the local used market and upgrade your front 3 speakers, then move what you have to surround duty. That said, a sub could benefit 2 channel music as it does multichannel material.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts

Klipsch speakers have a pretty district audio reproduction. If you really love Klipsch sound, then it might be wise to stick to that brand. Klipsch RP-62 II towers are $299 each on Amazon. Even though these are towers, a sub will still be needed for true full-range extension. If you listen to a lot of 2-channel, and your current center isn't slowing you down any, maybe just the two tower speakers is what you need right now. You can always purchase the matching center down the road.

It's always your decision

·
Registered
4,220 Posts

I will also chime in with recommending upgrading your front sound stage and with an absolute must for a center in a theater application. That being said and in keeping with your comments, have you considered the "previously owned" market? With the recent introduction of the new Premiere series and the impending/anticipated RF-7II replacement, there are/will be plenty of RF-62II's and RF-82II's with matching RC-62II's available at very favorable prices. Post or take a look over at the Klipsch and AVS Klipsch treads.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone know a good divorce lawyer?

Well despite my wife asking me not to buy new speakers, I decided F*^& it and got a pair of Klipsch 62 II's and a matching 62 II center. There are probably better tower speakers for less money, and a better center speaker for less money, but for better or worse I'm brand loyal. And I like having “the set”. Hope it sounds good in the theater room!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Well despite my wife asking me not to buy new speakers, I decided F*^& it and got a pair of Klipsch 62 II's and a matching 62 II center. There are probably better tower speakers for less money, and a better center speaker for less money, but for better or worse I'm brand loyal. And I like having “the set”. Hope it sounds good in the theater room!
Atta way! Awaiting you're response! Please post pictures!

Remember to re-run your room correction. Hope you enjoy

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

well...does your back ache from sleeping on the sofa...?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts