AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 125lb or so behemoth of a CRT projector in the trunk of my car.

Again..

I bought not just one, but two of the bloody things.

Here we go again...

PT-M1085U. Both with mint tubes, for $350US, in total, off fleabay. Got them out of LA before the water rose, I suspect.

I rolled the dice..and came up with six perfect low hour tubes.

I need remotes, or remote codes, manuals and lens faces for the HD-144's. All six of the outer lens faces are missing. HD-6 is good repalcement, and exact at that. I called up Curt and he confirmend my suspicion on that one.

DAMMIT!!!!!!!

I THREW OUT 4 sets of HD-6 Lenses, when I swore off CRT projectors. Where's those left over roaches and the water pipe so I can clean it out for that last hit.....

Back at it again. More chances for severe electrocution and endless rounds of modification. Ug.

Anyone in the Kingston, Ontario area got a set of HD-6 lenses they don't need??? Heck, I even threw out two PJ's with HD-6's attached. ****!!!!

:) bummer.........

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. Got ahold of Paul. He's coming over with a set of HD-6's. Come to think of it...they might be a set I gave to him......

It's like Pacino said in Gawdfaddah 3, "I keep trying to get out...."

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Hey Ken, you got an illness (like me), you were looking to get a G90 and when you didn't, you HAD TO get some kind of CRT......just like a disease. :p

Hey Willie,

What are you using theser days?

Bruce

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you ever decide to trash another CRT projector or a set of lenses, I would gladly pick them up free of charge :D

Seriously!

Thanks,

Cheers,

Alex

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I threw out about three Ecp chassis, no good parts though..I think I sent all the boards/etc to Curt, iffin I recall correctly. about 25-30 boards in all.

Ok, lenses on, PJ cleaned out, and up and running. Swapped out the front/outer focus rings from pauls bunch of brand new 145 lens sets he bought a while back. He said he had 6 sets of brand new 145's. Gonna buy a Marantz remote from Paul, programmed with the Panasony codes.

Now all I need is the tech manul and the actual manual. I can easily get by without either, but...

I've almost got CRT in the house again. I have the full mountig braket as well..

These Panasonic CRT ceiling mounts are likely the most intelligent designs I've seen. Push up..and *click*..the PJ is hung. Just like that. Ain't no Barco 7" mount. Damn, those are ugly to mount.

I'm not ruling out the G-90, but..not right now. I'm trying to figure out if I want to buy one car..two..or none. Investing that kind of money on a G-90 seems and feels ludicrous. Crazy, in fact, but that's my personal opinion, at this financial time.

My daily beater might be a SE-R SPec V (fun!!) and the 'cool' car, a M Series 540i...or just the M5, or no car and invest the cashola. If I was smart, I'd just invest the cash and keep bombing around in my ole' '94 Ford Probe. I never said I was smart. Creative, yes. Smart? No. M5's are way cool, but they don't put food on the table, or beer in the fridge. But they do bring hot women to your door. Depending on your mood, that might taste better than beer.

PS: the color filters fooled me slightly. Oddly enough, the blue is perfect. the red and green both have slight, undersized burn. very slight, but I findy any burn whatsoever a real..burn. Hate it, won't use it. I have still to look at the other PJ, it's tubes might be perfect, but can't tell without pulling the lenses. both pjs look like they were rarely used. Just badly driven. The usual teeth puller for us guys who understand what ignorant people do to PJ's. I understand these particular tubes might not be that costly.

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Should'a bought that 4600 to play with. For someone who likes to mod, no time is wasted removing and installing boards. They may not be the best 9" LC on the block but they gotta be the simplest one to service.

Chip

·
Banned
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBK
I THREW OUT 4 sets of HD-6 Lenses
Sinner! :mad:

Eleventh commandment says:

You will never throw anything away. You do not know when you will need it again.

(i wish i could speak better, i could give it some biblical taste...)

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Ken,

When did you get your drivers liscense?? As I recall from years ago you didn't have one? or am I thinking of someone else??

Terry

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a fender bender -my car was written off. I was sliding through a corner at 60 kph (about 40mph) into a shopping mall. I came to a dead stop with my brand new, just completed the day before ($900) brakes. The guy who I nearly cut off.. thought there was no possible way any car could stop that fast..ie., half way through a corner. So he decided to try and manuover around me, behind me. Meanwhile, I was there..and at a total stop. His entire lane and more was clear. So, he came aross from the lane he was in..and impaled my CRX on the front of his mini-van, and blew me back about 15 feet.

The nerve of the guy, he knocked my nice Biltmore-Stetson Fedora off my head. And blew the windshield. I lookd at the windshield..and said '****'. The firewall was bent, and I knew that was the end of my CRX.

I decided to ride a bike after that, as that's when I found out that I was driving uninsured for the past while..as I had been moving quite a bit....and the new insurance paperwork hadn't been following me around. I ws driving uninsured..and the whole thing was technically my fault. Lost my car, and had to pay for everything.

It was fun, I was healthy for while from all the intense workouts and bike riding.

Now I'm fat and slow like the rest of you :D as I'm driving a car again. I had let my licence lapse while I was riding the bike, and broke down and bought a car about 2.5 years ago. Sold my Marquee 8000 to buy it.

Now I can afford to buy beat up old PJ's on a whim. So I have CRT again.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Ken, you havent Sinned!......You've been healed!!! :D

Like the prodigal son you had strayed from the faith, but now youre back!

Hallelujah, Brother!!! :D

Now, where did i leave that fatted calf?....... :confused:

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
where does one get a new tube for this PJ? My shiny new rose colored glasses have worn off..and I'm going to need a green tube. No rebuilds. Shortie tube, so it might be a common one for RP sets.. or at least cheap. I can definitely use the set in the meantime...but...Here's to hopin!!!

bye the bye..who to buy it from instead of VDC?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBK
...But they do bring hot women to your door... .
Hmmm,

Just wondering:

Where would one find "hot women" in the wilds of Canada?

;)

·
Premium Member
16,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBK
I'm going to need a green tube. No rebuilds. Shortie tube, so it might be a common one for RP sets.. or at least cheap. I can definitely use the set in the meantime...but...Here's to hopin!!!

bye the bye..who to buy it from instead of VDC?
7" ES... do you know which tube it takes? I've got a pile of 7" ES projectors with minty tubes... if they're interchangeable, I'll trade you for a bucket o' Goo.

Here's the PDF brochure.

PT-M1085.pdf 238.068359375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DONE!!!

Juzt havta sneek into my own stock room now.. with no-one seeing me....

180dyg22, I believe. looking for zero burn. 8" panasony 'chube' (British for tube), obviously. Red would be nice too....

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So..after setting my Coni-Panasony non-LC 8" tube traps out in the field.. I settled down in my blind..for what would hopefully not be a long wait. To prepare me for the extreme violence that would erupt once one of the traps slammed shut, I ate some whole wheat toast, covered with slices of field grown tomatoes and ketchup..smothered in fresh ground black pepper. mmmm...

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep. it's a short neck 8" panasonic tube. It might be common in the RP set arena, or simply uncommon, so there may be some new ones floating about for reasonable prices. After all, who wants to buy or stock rare tubes? I know that's the hopeful view, but I feel I can find them. For example, I've recently started looking at Solar power.

In two weeks, I managed to find the only folks I know of so far..that can sell me 2500 solar cells, so I can make my own panels. No big deal usually..but for ..about $0.80 each, delivered. that's darned cheap, if you shop around. Good cells too. 3x6 inch, and 1.2 watts each. Now I get to build my own panels. I even get the framing, glass, backing, etc..all at manufacturing cost levels.

So..now I'm investigating 'flaot zone' furnaces..etc..etc.. will it ever end???

If I have to..I just found two mint 'looking' 1085's. I'd rather stop at the new tube instead though. I'd also rather NOT get any VDC re-builds. Heard too many horror stories so far. If they have new, then fine, but no re-builds. No thanks. I could be wrong but I don't like what I recently heard about the re-builds.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm still in the blind. I'm out of toast, my butt is sore.. and no tubes have wandered by and stepped into my trap. Anyone care to scare one down the game path toward my trap?

Mostly.. I forgot VDC's number. :D See iffin they gots new ones. anyone got brenda's phone #?

By the way, if you were 40, would you date 20 year old hot chicks? I mean, not much there for quiet talk..but the rest of the work is fun. (I just know someone's gonna comment after a statement like that...)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
Hey Willie,

What are you using theser days?

Bruce
Bruce,

I just picked up a G70 in great shape from a tech at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. He had pulled 2 from the University; one had horrible tubes so he stripped it; so I have a spare set of boards to go with the unit. 3080 hours. Some wear on the green, but not bad. I took down my 1085 this weekend and up went the G70. I am saving now for a set of OEM tubes, (but if anyone reading this had a clean green used I would be willing to trade one of my Panasonics PJs for it. :) )then I will be good for the next 10 years. In the meantime, I am loving this PJ. If I wasn't so bummed by this hurricane I would say life is good.

Willie

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.