AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently finished the basement in my home, and at the last minute I decided to run some wire for 7.1 in the area where the TV will be. It won't be great audio due to the large open space and having the TV area on one side of the room in an asymmetrical position relative to the whole room.

Problem is I forgot to pull speaker wire to the location for the center channel. I have a lot of extra quad shield RG6 pulled there that I could use, and possibly 2 Cat5 as well, although I'd like to be able to use the Cat5 for network to the TV, and possibly for IR signal to the TV as well.

So I don't know enough about audio to know the consequence of listening to a 7.1 that has no center channel. I'm not an audio guy by any means, I just want to know if I'll still be able to watch a movie.

If it helps me at all, the 16/4 I ran for front L/R speakers runs past where the center speaker will be.

What should I do?

·
Registered
12,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1x /forum/post/0

I recently finished the basement in my home, and at the last minute I decided to run some wire for 7.1 in the area where the TV will be. It won't be great audio due to the large open space and having the TV area on one side of the room in an asymmetrical position relative to the whole room.

Problem is I forgot to pull speaker wire to the location for the center channel. I have a lot of extra quad shield RG6 pulled there that I could use, and possibly 2 Cat5 as well, although I'd like to be able to use the Cat5 for network to the TV, and possibly for IR signal to the TV as well.

So I don't know enough about audio to know the consequence of listening to a 7.1 that has no center channel. I'm not an audio guy by any means, I just want to know if I'll still be able to watch a movie.

If it helps me at all, the 16/4 I ran for front L/R speakers runs past where the center speaker will be.

What should I do?

You should be able to configure your left and right speakers to run as a phantom center channel. Otherwise, I believe you will need to poke some holes in the drywall and fish some speaker wire for the center. The center is pretty important for movies and TV but a number of folks use the left and right channels as a phantom center.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/20876769

You should be able to configure your left and right speakers to run as a phantom center channel. Otherwise, I believe you will need to poke some holes in the drywall and fish some speaker wire for the center. The center is pretty important for movies and TV but a number of folks use the left and right channels as a phantom center.

Ok, that would be nice. Is that kind of configuration option available on most decent 7.1 receivers or will I need to look for something in particular?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1x /forum/post/20876726

Big impact. You want the center channel for movies.

Quote:

Did you run separate 16/4 to each (Left and Right) speaker? If so, there's your solution - steal one pair for the center channel. If it "runs past" in the wall that you can get to, you can cut the wire and grab the pair for the center, splice the other pair together to continue on to the other speaker.

Jeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/20877648

Big impact. You want the center channel for movies.

Did you run separate 16/4 to each (Left and Right) speaker? If so, there's your solution - steal one pair for the center channel. If it "runs past" in the wall that you can get to, you can cut the wire and grab the pair for the center, splice the other pair together to continue on to the other speaker.

Jeff

Unfortunately no, I have one 16/4 running past all 3 ( L, C, R ) and back to where my equipment will be in another room.

I think I will be able to run 16/2 under the baseboard, however it will be very difficult to get it up to the ceiling where I had planned to have all the speakers. I may have to mount a center channel speaker just below the TV. I'll have to see how it will look.

The only other thing I can think of is to run it as a 5.1 and omit the middle L and R, and use those speaker locations for the front L and R. That would probably be an acoustic abortion as well, but it may be easy for me to try it at least without doing any damage.

·
Registered
588 Posts
You want the center channel as close to the screen as possible. Since this is where all the talking comes from, you want it to sound like it's coming from their mouths, not the ceiling. 16/2 under the baseboard should be easy, especially if theres carpet involved. Wedge the wire between the floor and the drywall, there should be enough room, and if not, make some room.
16/2 is small, it should squeeze just about anywhere.

If you have a table saw, you can "rip" a slice into the baseboard to hide the wire there as well. I've seen that trick done a million times on refurb installs.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobenet /forum/post/20879047

You want the center channel as close to the screen as possible. Since this is where all the talking comes from, you want it to sound like it's coming from their mouths, not the ceiling. 16/2 under the baseboard should be easy, especially if theres carpet involved. Wedge the wire between the floor and the drywall, there should be enough room, and if not, make some room.
16/2 is small, it should squeeze just about anywhere.

If you have a table saw, you can "rip" a slice into the baseboard to hide the wire there as well. I've seen that trick done a million times on refurb installs.

But at the same time, you want the center to be at the same height as the L+R. I find it disturbing if the sound dips down low and then back up as it pans across the soundstage.

BTW, I am in the camp where a phantom center is a poor solution. A phantom center can work if there is a single listening/viewing spot. It falls apart when the seating gets any wider. The center sound disappears, and sounds like it is coming out of whichever main is closer.

The suggestion to wire along the baseboard and then run it up vertically between the studs is a good one Bottom hole is hidden by the baseboard and top one becomes the cover plate for the terminals, so no patching of drywall is required.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Try this first: use two pairs of one of your Cat5's for your center channel. Use 3 of the remaining 4 conductors for your IR repeater system. No, it isn't perfect, but it doesn't sound like you have a reference-quality setup in mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.