AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in a Denon 3803 today, to do a CQC driver for it. But looking on the back, the serial 'port' is some kind of proprietary connector in the form of a 1/8th" phono plug connection. Neither the serial protocol docs or the manual seem to say squat about this, and I didn't get anything with a search here or on the web that provided me any clues.

Does anyone know what form this thing takes? Are customers going to have to buy a custom cable for this? If so, where can you get one?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have a couple serial devices with a 1/8th jack in the device, and the standard 9-or-whatever-pin connector for the computer so I imagine you'll be able to find a cable pretty easilly. The Home Theater Master MX-700 remote uses this if you can't find it anywhere else, you might be able to order one from them, or a reseller.

jb

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would want to be sure that they've used the same sort of connection, and not some proprietary scheme. I'm sure someone has actually used this port, so hopefully someone can say for sure.

·
Registered
638 Posts
That looks like it but I imagine you will want to find a two way cable as you note. The MX 700 software uploads and dowloads your remote config so I think its two way. You might be able to find the right cable, or get a lead at remotecentral.com or surfremotecontrol.com (maybe surfremote).

jb

·
Registered
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
I would want to be sure that they've used the same sort of connection, and not some proprietary scheme. I'm sure someone has actually used this port, so hopefully someone can say for sure.
Hi Dean,

I haven't used the 3803 serial port but the serial protocol documents for both revisions of the 3803 list the pin out for the cable:

For units with S/N below xxx1512250:
http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdf..._Ver.3.175.pdf

For units with S/N above xxx1512251:
http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdf...3_Ver.3.18.pdf

Both documents show that the 1/8" stereo mini-jack is wired as follows:

TIP : RXD - connect to pin 2

RING : TXD - connect to pin 3

BASE : GND - connect to pin 5 (pin 7 on a 25pin port)

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, ok. It was so non-obviously noted in the protocol document that I just skipped over it. Ok, I can make one for my own testing, though I'm sure that most customers will want a commerically made one for more reliability.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.