AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll use this thread to try to provide updated stats on top-selling content availability from studios supporting each format. Comments on formatting and presentation welcome!

Top selling DVD's:
Code:
Code:
[B]From studios supporting Blu-ray: 17 of 20 (85%)
              Blu-ray exclusive: 12 of 20 (60%)
From studios supporting HD DVD:   8 of 20 (40%)
              HD DVD exclusive:   3 of 20 (15%)[/B]
Top grossing movies:
Code:
Code:
[B]From studios supporting Blu-ray: 13 of 15 (87%)
              Blu-ray exclusive:  7 of 15 (47%)
From studios supporting HD DVD:   8 of 15 (53%)
              HD DVD exclusive:   2 of 15 (13%)[/B]
For week ending January 7th, 2007 (Video Business)

- Talk

Blu-ray Insider

Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lampert /forum/post/0

IMO, FWIW, it's a bad idea for a biased insider to host an ostensibly neutral thread. The spectre of favoritism and propaganda will constantly be over it.

Agreed. TalkStr8t - you're a cool dude and all but this thread is gonna just get wierd, if it's not seen as wierd already. I mean, should Amir post a thread titled "Format Battle: Hardware Pricing Scorecard"?

-

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While this data clearly currently favors Blu-ray, the data itself is purely objective. If someone else would like to take over (and will keep this current) PM me.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie /forum/post/0

Yeah, Top grossing doesn't mean I want to watch it.

Can you suggest another metric which suggests how popular a given release is likely to be?

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
Studio support can change. Released titles are facts.

I think you reaching here.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lampert /forum/post/0

IMO, FWIW, it's a bad idea for a biased insider to host an ostensibly neutral thread. The spectre of favoritism and propaganda will constantly be over it.

This is a well crafted life Jeff and it really hits the core of what I was thinking when I saw who was the OP.

Call me snobby but I like to think I'm around a class of enthusiasts who are a bit more discerning than the typical consumer when it comes to movies.

I like Michael Mann movies over Michael Bay

I actually LIKE subtitled movies

I like movies with unknown actors.

I look for and love a great score. I can pick out a Hans Zimmer soundtrack from a Danny Elfman from a James Newton Howard

I love movies that are dripping with passion and craftmanship from everyone from the Director on down.

I'm not a lowest common denominator kind of viewer. So frankly when Talkstr8 and others attempt to impress me with movie sales like i'm some sheep/chimpanzee hybrid I'm offended. I don't flock to movies because everyone else does. So feel free to beat your chest in some haughty bravado have at it. I'm going to enjoy the films I want to see regardless of how much revenue they generated.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley5 /forum/post/0

You are listing DVD and movie grossing. How about actual sales of HD DVD and BD titles, that would interest a lot of us.

That information isn't publicly available (at least without spending a lot of $$$).

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
Plenty of biased posters make good threads and I don't see that Insider status changes that. Even on the 1st page, I see threads from Kosty and Nataraj that I check at least semi-regularly, even though they're both obvious HD-DVD partisans. I would like to see a thread or two started by Amir, though.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I must concur. A thread like this should be done by a true format neutral person, and not someone on one side of the debate.

I'd also like to add that Theater revenue means almost nothing these days considering the high price of tickets and the fact that movie ticket sales aren't what they used to be, I think it's becoming an innaccurate judge of what HD DVD/BD sales are going to be like.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Talk:

Why leave the names of the movies out, and just list the numbers? Lets see the titles too.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

This is a well crafted life Jeff and it really hits the core of what I was thinking when I saw who was the OP.

Call me snobby but I like to think I'm around a class of enthusiasts who are a bit more discerning than the typical consumer when it comes to movies.

I like Michael Mann movies over Michael Bay

I actually LIKE subtitled movies

I like movies with unknown actors.

I look for and love a great score. I can pick out a Hans Zimmer soundtrack from a Danny Elfman from a James Newton Howard

I love movies that are dripping with passion and craftmanship from everyone from the Director on down.

I'm not a lowest common denominator kind of viewer. So frankly when Talkstr8 and others attempt to impress me with movie sales like i'm some sheep/chimpanzee hybrid I'm offended. I don't flock to movies because everyone else does. So feel free to beat your chest in some haughty bravado have at it. I'm going to enjoy the films I want to see regardless of how much revenue they generated.

Revenue drives almost every major studio currently releasing movies onto Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. The title of the thread is format battle, not artistic direction battle.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mullis /forum/post/0

I must concur. A thread like this should be done by a true format neutral person, and not someone on one side of the debate.

(snip)

Then, this will become one lonely forum. And it is not as though this thread was posted within the "format neutral thread: a safe haven from the craziness" thread.

And I have read somewhere that...

Quote:
-if you disagree with something posted: challenge the information; not the poster

1 - 20 of 207 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.