AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. So I got a Flip Mino HD for Christmas and so far, I love it. The thing I don't love about it is the fact that 720p videos are space hogs. Is there a format I should be converting my videos to to save some space? Right now they're in H.264 mp4 format.

2. I now have 30+ short clips of a few minutes each. Eventually they will go into IMOVIE and made into edited films. Do you guys recommend that I keep all of the raw footage, or do you have recommendations on editing styles that allow me to chop out the unneeded footage, keep the good stuff in an IMOVIE project, and continue to add to the project as time progresses? Kind of confusing, I know.

3. I have Imovie 08 and 06 HD. I like the way 08 lets you chop your videos so easily, but 06 is much more robust for everything else. I was planning on chopping the video in 08 first then bringing the clips into 06 to put them together/finish the video. How does everybody else work in IMovie?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
h.264 does not take up a lot of space, it's a very efficient, modern codec... get another hard drive, they are dirt cheap right now.

always keep the raw footage, and since you have a mac, be sure and copy the entire folder structure when backing up.

what could be taking up a lot of space is your software re-encoding those h.264 files to another video format... do you see any large files being generated by the program? because those can be deleted after you finish editing and exporting your project.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I didn't think H.264 was a bad format, I was just wondering if there was something better. Guess I'm just just a bit shellshocked at how much HD video takes up in general.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick R /forum/post/15536084

I guess I didn't think H.264 was a bad format, I was just wondering if there was something better. Guess I'm just just a bit shellshocked at how much HD video takes up in general.

Your original footage is as good of quality as you are going to get. Encoding to another format will have a loss of video quality. I keep all my original footage. You did'nt say how big your files where, MiniDV DV-AVI video files are about 220 MB per minute of video (About 13 GB per hour)

Rich

1 - 4 of 4 Posts