AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to format my win98se machine, and install winXP. I set the BIOS to boot from the CD-Drive, and during boot, the drive spins up, but nothing happens.

Next, I booted from a WinME boot disk. I tried to run setup.exe from the WinXP CD-Rom, but I get an error messge that this command cannot be run in DOS.....

Do I have to have an existing OS in order to load Win XP? What else am I doing wrong?

The computer is a 950MHz AMD machine with an Ultra IDE PCI controller, a video card, and a LAN card.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Is it an official copy that is bootable?

All you need is a working cd and bootable XP disk and it should work. I've installed a few XP systems with no problems so I'm surprised you're having any.

Is the disk full or upgrade? I'm wondering if that makes a difference...

Gary.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The WinXP CD is not an upgrade disk, it is a full install disk.

Without a working copy of XP, how would anyone create a WinXP Boot Disk? I must be doing something wrong. I'm going to load Win ME and then try to run the Win XP setup disk. I shouldn't have to do this, but this is my first time loading WinXP.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Go to any computer, pop in the XP disc, and use the program on the CD to create the 4 necessary boot floppies that will get your XP install going.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Diver, what mobo and bios do you have? You may have quickboot enabled. Do you get a message like press a key to boot from cd?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mobo K7KX-A

Award BIOS

I'll double check BIOS for quickboot after ME finishes installing....

·
Registered
103 Posts
If it won't boot off the CD, you will need a boot disk (preferrably a win98) if you don't have it go to www.bootdisk.com and download one. Once it boots go to the i386 directory and run winnt.exe

That will start you setup.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your help everyone. I wanted a fresh HDD for a clean install of WinXP.

After the HDD format, I partitioned the 20GB HDD for 1 partition at FAT32. I didn't have an option for the other format (NTSF?) since I couldn't get a WinXP Boot Disk from my Install disk.

I loaded WinME.

Next, I ran the WinXP setup disk, and loaded win XP.

I was given an option to upgrade or do a complete install. I chose the complete install, overwriting WinME.

The install disk warned that WinME could become unusable by overwriting it - Why is it that Microsoft overexplains the obvious, but make sit so difficiult to do something simple like find "Boot Disk" in their own help directory??? end rant.

WinXP is still loading, my HDD is hot to the touch (I just installed a fan to blow between the space between the HDD and DVD-ROM.

I'll check back after the install is complete.

Thanks for the link to the Boot Disks. That is information I'll keep in my own personal archives.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hack_mole
If it won't boot off the CD, you will need a boot disk (preferrably a win98) if you don't have it go to www.bootdisk.com and download one. Once it boots go to the i386 directory and run winnt.exe

That will start you setup.
Thanks for that link!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.