Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Two questions please,

1/ Is it true or false, that if you use a VGA breakout cable (from a Prog. DVD component output) to the "VGA Input" of the X1 that it bypasses the X1's built in Foroudja chip?

2/ If the above is false, is it better to save my money (i.e. a panny CP72) and just buy a good Prog. DVD player "without" the Foroudja chip since the X1 will be doing the processing onboard anyways?

Thanks; Jessica

·
Registered
50 Posts
1. True. Bob from Infocus confirmed that using the VGA Input will by pass the X1's chipset.

If you don't have a progressive DVD, the S-video connection is the way to go. If you have a progessive DVD player, in my opinion, the "VGA Input" is the way to go.

I'm using the "VGA Input" with my X1. My Panasonic RP82 has the same chip as the X1, but I am of the opinion that it's better to let compononets do what they do best. The projector to throw up an image and the progressive DVD player process the DVD. I've subjectively noticed fewer rainbow using the "VGA Input". I watched Total Recall last night, and don't remember seeing any rainbows.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Since the DCDi is a de-interlacer, it shouldn't do anything with a progressive signal. The advantage of having it built in to the projector is that ALL interlaced sources get to use it.

Personally I bought a non-progressive DVD player, and rely on the X1's de-interlacing to do the job. All reports are that the SVideo/interlaced DVD players look as good as progressive DVD players on the X1, though I have no basis for comparison myself.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gentlemen,

Have any of you truly noticed a difference between running an Interlaced (non prog.) DVD player with,

1/ "S-video" only,

or

2/ Component Cable w/S-video adapter supplied by Infocus?

Does X1's built in Faroudja Chip process PQ better with one over the other?

Really appreciate your feedbacks; Jessica :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't have any component cables, so I haven't done a side by side comparison, sorry. The SVid looks so good already, I haven't seen a great need to upgrade all my cabling.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Cinefreak,

I've used the combinations you mention, component cables with s-video adaptor from Infocus and straight s-video. I can't see any difference so I'm just using the straight s-video.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would be interested in knowing whether a good progressive scan DVD player outputting to the VGA port on the X1 gives a much better picture than non progressive to the svideo port.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How about the impact of a progressive DVD or HTPC through the VGA port verses using the S-video port on rainbow artifacts? Is there any difference? Is the VGA port the better way to go in this regard?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know if the length of the cables plays part in picture quality? Is there a maximum length before picture quality is affected? I'm thinking of a ceiling mount for my new X1 and I'm just wondering if the additional length would affect the signal?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Regarding X1 inputs:

-for my s-video input I use a 25' + 5' cable (good quality) with an s-video coupler. This works perfectly from my non-progressive DVD player to the ceiling mounted projector.

-for my vga connection from the HD cable box I use 40' of VGA cable to a VGA switch which also accepts input from my HTPC with MyHD card. The computer is 15' from the projector. This all works fine.

I even tried moving everything closer with all cables less than 10' and could not detect any difference on a 100" diagonal screen.

:cool:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Cinefreak I use a high end non-progressive DvD player with component to S-video adapter and it looks great through the projectors scaler...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Guys,

I'm trying all kinds of ways, (now that I finally have my own and not a loaner :p ). Wow! is the word of the day. This lil bad boy really purrs.

As of now I'm using a non prog. DVD and am really pleased, going to borrow a prog. DVD and try that thru the vga port and see if it makes a difference. (I've heard it doesn't?)

Thanks for all the replies :D

Jessica

P.S. I'm getting really sucked into this hobby and I love it,,,;)

As of two weeks ago I knew nothing about FP & DVD's, and because of all of you who take the time out to answer us newbies questions I'm on my way to a great HT. For every post I write I read 300, and thats being conservative.:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Something to keep in mind about the X1 and progressive input through the vga port, is that you will lose your color and tint controls. When I tested progressive dvd output yes the colors were brighter and punchier, but I think they were too saturated, and there was nothing that I could do about it. So I've decided to stick with interlaced component going through the svideo adapter. Basically no matter what signal you throw at this projector it will give you a pretty amazing image.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi CineFreak,

My personal experience is this:

With a very good Progressive DVD, like the Panny RP82 or XP30, you can SEE a much better image, by far, than a regular interlaced DVD player.

The reason is simple: when you use the X1 scaler you are "processing" the image 2 times. First, the you DVD player converts the digital image to analog (interlaced). Then, the X1 has to convert that signal to digital again (de-interlacing) to obtain a progressive image using it's Faroudja processor.

When you use a progressive scan DVD player (the Panny RP-82 & XP30 uses a Faroudja processor too) you are sending a digital signal right away from the source, in this case, your DVD player. There is no conversion or extra processing of the image, and the better part, the only thing that the X1 has to do is what it's design for... project that image.

I try the interlaced with a nonprogressive DVD player & the progressive one. And, believe me, using a already processed signal from a progressive DVD player is the BEST way to really enjoy the X1. The picture quality is superb, with vivid colors, black are really black, no artifacts, screendoors effects and cero rainbows.

You can see screenshots of my X1 using a progressive scan player in my home page, you are going to like them!!!

www.geocities.com/riverarichard_rrr/My_page.html

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jpritter,

Your doing the same as myself, going Non progressive (Interlaced) DVD thru component cables to the S-video adapter. This uses the X1's Foroudja chip correct?

Drahcir,

So your obviously using the VGA port therfore passing the X1's Foroudja Chip, correct? Do you find losing your color & tint controls as jpritter stated bothersome?

I'm trying to decide if I'll go Prog. or not, cus if I do I'm going to hunt down a Panny RP82, XP30 or the other Panny's with the Foroudja chip. Anybody wanna unload one cheap. :D

Thanks for the replies, they really help!

Jessica

·
Registered
144 Posts
The other thing you have to worry about is that some progressive DVD players do the de-interlacing in the analog domain (ie, no advantage over the built in Faroudja on the X1)

Make sure that you do your homework- like Drahcir obviously did - before running out and getting a DVD player that says "Progressive Scan" on the box ;)

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jpritter
Something to keep in mind about the X1 and progressive input through the vga port, is that you will lose your color and tint controls. When I tested progressive dvd output yes the colors were brighter and punchier, but I think they were too saturated, and there was nothing that I could do about it. So I've decided to stick with interlaced component going through the svideo adapter. Basically no matter what signal you throw at this projector it will give you a pretty amazing image.
What is your color setting?

50?

60?

65?

And what numeric value would the progressive input be equal to in terms of a color setting?

I find myself turning the color up alot on my X1, past 60, because my screen is decent size and the lack of red push allows for more saturated colors.

Progressive is punchier?

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CineFreak

I'm trying to decide if I'll go Prog. or not, cus if I do I'm going to hunt down a Panny RP82, XP30 or the other Panny's with the Foroudja chip. Anybody wanna unload one cheap. :D
Panny has a new 5 disc progressive scan dvd player out with DVD-audio for $149 MSRP.

It's the 85 model I think...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.