AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the ptvdigital web site seems permanetly down (it's been over a month), I do not know where to get any HD scheduling info on PBS.

The next series of the Forsyte Saga is to start airing on Masterpiece Theater on February 8. The original last year was shown SD upconverted, but at least OAR. Does anyone know if this new series will be shown either upconverted or HD?

Does anyone know where to get programming info for PBS now?

TIA

SMK

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Notice that WGBH (Boston PBS) has slated the Series II DVDs for sale starting Feb. 5. Probably available elsewhere, too. News to me this was broadcast in an upconverted format (or 16:9), although there are lots of PBS station variations.

Here, it was plain old fuzzy 4:3 from the non-DTV WNET, piped at ~4.9 Mbps from Time Warner Cable, then deinterlaced to 480p by my RPTV and stretched into 16:9, with too-plump-looking actors. Series I and II would be nice candidates for the first HD DVDs, IMO. -- John

Edit: RoyGBiv's post below, about letterboxing for Series I, might have applied here, too, on second thought. I generally stretch all 4:3 to 16:9, so a letterboxed program may have just slipped by unnoticed. It's been too long now.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is interesting that WGBH is selling these on Feb. 5. Amazon has it listed as starting to be available in March.

As I recall the original was shown on WGBH letterboxed. Not perfect, but at least we got to see the whole thing. I then purchased the DVDs of the first series, and we have been watching them to get ready for series II. It looks very good on DVD.

SMK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.