AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have followed some of the recommended components here exactly. Here is how my htpc breaks down and everything works great except for one glaring problem:

Asus CUSL2C mobo

512 megs of crucial ram

P3 1Ghz

ATI radeon LE

Hercules Fortissimo II sound card

IBM 60 gxp 61.5 gig hard drive

Toshiba DVD/CDRW drive

I cannot for the life of me get the Dolby Digital bitstream to be outputted to my receiver. I do have sound when choosing AC-3 via the ATI player but the receiver only sees it as Dolby Pro logic.

I have all my settings the same as what has been prescribed at DTVmax.com. DVD genie seems to be setup ok but I can't be sure. I have tried everything and I am at my wit's end.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ben

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ben,

I have almost the identical set-up. I could not get any sound, so I bought an interconnect cable to go from the dvd to the sound card... now I get DD.

This is my second system using the Fortissimo II..neither would do DTS. The other system is AMD based, so I think it is the card or it's drivers.

I still cannot get DTS on WinDVD, Power DVD or the ATi player. I am anxiously awaiting the TT player to see if this resolves the DTS issue.

good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was able to get it to work okay, but I needed to follow "proper procedure".

First off, I think you need to install PowerDVD, which should have come with your card.

Then bring up the Fortissimo's control panel and in the last tab on the right, make sure you have PowerDVD selected as the source for digital audio. If you're on Win2k, you'll need to reboot after making this change.

Once you do that, run PowerDVD and configure it to use S/PDIF output for audio. Then try playing a DVD with PowerDVD. Doing this, I was able to get both DD and DTS to output to my receiver.

After you get it working in PowerDVD, you should be able to switch to the ATI player if you want, though I can't get it to pass DTS no matter how hard I try.

FWIW, I did all this on a system very similar to yours (P3 1GHz, TUCSL motherboard, 256MB RAM, Radeon LE, Windows 2000).

Good luck!

Aaron

·
Registered
599 Posts
having the same problem(s)

same type PC as well - new Fortissimo II

1) the instructions above for "proper procedure" are also here

i followed them and it didn't work.

2) the PowerDVD that comes on the Fort. CD says "4 channel version" - so I didn't even try to use that version. From some other sound card I had that generic PowerDVD disk in a white paper envelope with an orange sticker and key printed on it.

after entering the key, it said 6 channel version, so I installed that one, followed the instructions from step 1 and no DD.

My AccessDTV properly sends a DD signal via coax to my receiver. I use a Toslink out from the Fort II.

I tried 2 dvds and get nothing on DTS and only 2 front channels on DD.

Something is terribly wrong - and i don't know where to throw money next! Do I buy a PowerDVD update to XP 4? Or is the Fort II the problem? I just bought this card because of the matrix in this thread. Chivs sez that he can't comfirm the TT player works with this card on win98se.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had this card and could never get it to do what I wanted. I replaced it with an Aureal Vortex card for $12 and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
599 Posts
could you be more specific about which vortex you have, and where its available for that price.

and what type of output you get from it?

dts?

dd?

optical?

coax?

OS?

player?

thx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.