AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Fortissimo II in my Family Room PC that I am using as media server. Setting the SPDIF out (on) and feeding the optical out into my Denon Amp, MP3 playback is excellent. However in this configuration you can't get DD pass thru to work from a DVD. To enable DD pass thru you have to change the settings in the Fortissimo control panel and this requires a system reboot. This dissapoints me as my Santa Cruz in my main PC will play both MP3's and allow DD pass thru on the same setting. The reason I went with the Fortissimo is the optical output as the Denon only has one coaxial digital input and I am using that for a different purpose. Also noticed that the sound level from the Fortissimo in DD pass thru mode was very low.

Anyone have any ideas ?????

·
Registered
571 Posts
I just discovered this limitation on the weekend, however there is a way around the reboot. Go to the Control Panel, Device Manager, and disable the Fortissimo WDM driver, change your digital output setting (don't worry about it telling you that it needs to reboot), and then go back to Control Panel and re-enable the WDM driver. Your selected digital output will work as expected.

I may try and write an application that will do this procedure automatically.

I didn't think the optical output level was overly low. I had it connected to my Marantz SR7000 A/V reciever and was quite impressed with the sound quality.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give it a shot thanks.. I to have been very impressed with sound quality of MP3's played thru the SPIDF, although I can't explain why they sound better than out of the Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Did you try using analog outs for MP3 playback?

I use the 6 analog outs on the GTXP (same drivers as Fortissimo2) to avoid this issue.

Also allows me to do 5.1 virtualization, and multiple speaker support in gaming.

Worth noting you do not have to reboot under 98/ME. Only under 2000/XP.

BTW, I think it is normal for sound levels to be lower in DD/DTS passthrough. My setup is the same way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.