AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a bit of research lately, but am by no means an expert... so I wanted to ask you guys a couple of questions.

First, why is the LT-150 such a popular projector? Is it just the Dell deal or is it a really good projector overall for price/performance?

Also, I have found that the Sony VW10HT is also a very popular projector, but the only reason I can see for that would be the native HDTV resolution... but it's price tag is definitely too high for me http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...d=660&itmname=

What I was looking at is the Optoma EzPro 710... is there any reason why I should steer clear of this one or is it just personal preference? http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...toma+EzPro+710

Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Dell's $1700 mistake kick started the LT150 craze; however, Grant Smyth had been yelling and screaming about LT150 since day 1. We trusted Grant and jumped in and never regretted. Since the Dell's deal, many have bought the LT150 world wide. I bought it just last week when Dell's 20% brought the price down to $2160 before tax and shipping ($2290 after to OH). It's still the best projector for under 4K to display progressive sources. It has poor scaler and deinterlacer so Svideo and Composite will be functional but not great. To show progressive sources, this unit is phenomenal. This is due to XGA DLP (this is the lowest price unit of its kind), 800:1 contrast for better blacks and dark details (only bested by >10K projectors), 800 lumens (plenty for HT), relatively quiet in table mount mode (for DLP it's one of the quietest unit), ceiling/rear/table mount, portability (3#, 8"X6"), short throw (100" wide image at 13 feet from screen), beautiful colors (best of DLP under 4K price range due to Vortex technology), good NEC warranty and Instacare replacement (48h refurb. loaner until your unit is fixed), lots of experience here for support), less screen door than XGA LCD (pixel size is less visible, smooth video (like movie theater and not so digital like LCD). Downsides are expensive bulb (1000 hr for $500), rare rainbows (color streaks and flashes on high contrast scenes in 10% of population), lack of inputs (needs VGA switcher for more than 1 VGA source), mediocre Svideo and Composite, runs hot, gets noisy on ceiling mount mode (fan goes into high gear due to warmer ceiling air).

The Optoma is OK except for 400:1 contrast and is heavier. It has 2000h bulb so this is a plus. I'd bet that LT150 will look better as it's been reviewed and recommended by som many, but I've not seen the Optoma personally. Plus at this price there is little advantage over the LT150.

------------------

Huey ;-]

[This message has been edited by Huey (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I went with the LT150 for picture price / performance considerations. Its simply the best bang for the buck. I don't want to cause a stir, but few weeks ago I visited a Video Salon and viewed a Runco CRT projector. They offered me a big discount since it was a demo, only $12,000. Well, I've got to tell you, I only have my LT150 for one day, but it's definitely as good and I'm only running S-video.

Also, I feel DLP technology is in its infancy phase. TI has already announced significantly better DMD chips which are brighter and have higher contrast. Plus DLP is close to going mass market. I predict that in 2 years you can buy a much better projector for $1000. That said, why mortgage the house when I can get such great price / performance on the LT150.

Jon

P.S. I still can't believe the picture from this thing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.