AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone played both versions yet and can you tell us how they compare? I am interested in knowing if the game was polished up a bit graphically on the release version. Also, are the physics the same? I really enjoyed the demo and will be buying the final version when I can find it. Thanx in advance.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Here is IGN's take:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/792/792572p3.html

Quote:
7.0 Presentation

The single-player mode could use some polish as could the interface and just about every area outside of the racing elements.
7.0 Graphics

Jaggies, jaggies, and more jaggies. At times, it appears this is LEGO Forza Motorsport 2. The drab colors and weak art design don't help. 60fps is welcome, though.

8.0 Sound

There are some great variants in engine sounds, but it's nothing beyond what we've come to expect from racers. Some of the ambient noise is a little buggy.

9.0 Gameplay

The car physics are just about perfect. The gameplay, however, feels a bit soulless and at times gets a little redundant.

9.5 Lasting Appeal

There's a lot to do here, with an enormous single-player game and some decent multiplayer options. If you love, you'll love it for a long, long time.

Great OVERALL

(out of 10 / not an average)
Quote:
Closing Comments

So Forza 2 has brilliant physics, great customization options, and solid online play. So why isn't it earning greater esteem from IGN? As I said early on, a racing game is about more than just the cars. Much like its predecessor, Forza 2 lacks soul. The only personality you'll find in Forza 2 are the custom skins created by fans. While it's certainly an enjoyable and well-made game, it just doesn't have the spark of energy and excitement found in almost every other racer.

Cars are supposed to be sexy, but they aren't sexy in Forza 2. Sure, they are accurately recreated and have spot-on physics, but Forza 2 is the Ed Asner of racers. It's talented, but you wouldn't want to take it to bed.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
How is that idiot allowed to review a racing sim game? I mean seriously. Here are some gold comments of his:

"And I stink at driving." "Given that I don't even own a car".

The only reason he compliments the physics is because he says they are being refershed 360 times a second, which in actuality means NOTHING to him but he assumes it sounds good so it must be good.

lol! love the "game play get redundant." WTF is it suppose to do out of bring a racing sim!?

·
Banned
13,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 /forum/post/0

How is that idiot allowed to review a racing sim game? I mean seriously. Here are some gold comments of his:

"And I stink at driving." "Given that I don't even own a car".

The only reason he compliments the physics is because he says they are being refershed 360 times a second, which in actuality means NOTHING to him but he assumes it sounds good so it must be good.

lol! love the "game play get redundant." WTF is it suppose to do out of bring a racing sim!?

That was from "Another Take from Erik Brudvig" , which I didn't quote anything from. The main review is by Hilary Goldstein.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I want to point something out about the ign review

The actual review was by Hilary Goldstein

The one who didn't own a car was

Another Take

from Erik Brudvig

That's two different people folks.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I was really impressed by the physics in the demo. Can't wait to see if other areas are improved.

Thanks for the article, but I wanted some gamers responces here and not a reviewer that is seemingly biased. I read many reviews and they are all over the place and figured the best way to get info would be from those that bought the game.

·
Registered
330 Posts
"Closing Comments

So Forza 2 has brilliant physics, great customization options, and solid online play. So why isn't it earning greater esteem from IGN? As I said early on, a racing game is about more than just the cars. Much like its predecessor, Forza 2 lacks soul. The only personality you'll find in Forza 2 are the custom skins created by fans. While it's certainly an enjoyable and well-made game, it just doesn't have the spark of energy and excitement found in almost every other racer.

Cars are supposed to be sexy, but they aren't sexy in Forza 2. Sure, they are accurately recreated and have spot-on physics, but Forza 2 is the Ed Asner of racers. It's talented, but you wouldn't want to take it to bed."

----

From these comments alone it seems that this particular person should not have been reviewing this game. They obviously do not quite get what a SIM racer is supposed to be. Tie that together with the fact that they obviously weren't impressed with the first and this was a slanted review right out of the gate. It seems this person is more biased against arcade style racers which is fine, I like them as well but if I knew I didn't like the first and knew I'm not a huge SIM racing fan then why waste the time reviewing one.

The cars aren't sexy in Forza 2? Come on man, what is more sexy than a Ferrari F430, Ford GT, Classic Charger, etc.? A blinged out Escalade or import from Underground? I think not.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Seriously, folks need to learn how to read reviews.

If Joe Schmoe doesn't like something doesn't mean you wont. What were his complaints? No soul? Do you care? If not, then obviously you'll like it more. Didn't have the presentation and bling he'd like to see. Do you care? If not. you'll probably like it a bit more.

I think he did a fine job and expressing what's in the package. I don't really care if he liked it or not if he tells me why and what's in the game....which he does.

·
Registered
697 Posts
What I don't understand is when a demo comes out and there is something wrong with it (i.e. graphics aren't as good as anticipated) a lot of people say wait for the final version, this is only a demo. I can't think of one single game that has actually fixed issues like this from demo to release.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's not about reading the review. I read it and took it for what it was BUT I still think that when choosing someone to do a review they should be into what they are reviewing. It's pretty obvious that the reviewer is not a huge SIM racing fan and would prefer something with more pizazz.

It would be the same if I were to review an RPG or MMORPG. I would more than likely not be impressed with it as I don't care for that style of game.

Oh well, back on subject compared to the demo the game is great. I liked the demo and I can't say there is a huge difference in the way it runs or looks on the full release. It plays the way I'd expect it to. Good stuff!!

·
Registered
4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoAD /forum/post/0

It's not about reading the review. I read it and took it for what it was BUT I still think that when choosing someone to do a review they should be into what they are reviewing. It's pretty obvious that the reviewer is not a huge SIM racing fan and would prefer something with more pizazz.

I can see that, but in the end, the game is about phsyics and tuning your car, etc. which he accurately conveyed to me, the reader. And, he said it's great.

I wouldn't really care if you reviewed an rpg if you let me know what it's about, why you didn't like certain things, etc.

I think some people just like seeing a "good score." Doesn't matter if they accurately describe the game and what you're buying. I like reading about the game and deciding if I'll like it. I think this review did that accurately. Everyone likes different things.

If you got someone that is 'into that type of game' you'd probably start seeing reviews that simply rip every minute detail apart and forget to look at the big picture.

Guess there's just different crowds. Some will buy it if gets 9s here and there without reading another word. Some will read it and actually decide if they'd like something they are on the fence about.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'd like to make the comment that (by my logic anyway) there is a big difference between a Demo and a Beta.

The point of a demo is to sell the product, to see if you like it or not. I don't think it is rational to claim that the final version is likely to be enhanced in any significant ways to what the demo is offering. It may happen, but it's not something you should assume or put money on. For example, altering graphics after the demo has been released may impact game-play, so while people who rate graphics as their top priority will be happy, people who rate game-play number one will feel like they got the shaft.

A demo, by definition, should be an acurate portrayal of the final product, or what's the point?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidam67 /forum/post/0

I'd like to make the comment that (by my logic anyway) there is a big difference between a Demo and a Beta.

The point of a demo is to sell the product, to see if you like it or not. I don't think it is rational to claim that the final version is likely to be enhanced in any significant ways to what the demo is offering. It may happen, but it's not something you should assume or put money on. For example, altering graphics after the demo has been released may impact game-play, so while people who rate graphics as their top priority will be happy, people who rate game-play number one will feel like they got the shaft.

A demo, by definition, should be an acurate portrayal of the final product, or what's the point?

I agree with your statement, but if it is possible to refine graphic problems without altering gameplay then I think they should try and do so. I really wasn't expecting the graphics to change any and frankly they didn't bother me too much, but it I had the option of having the game with or without the jaggies....

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Graphics are pretty much the same. The tracks I have raced (NA starter) have a ton more details than the demo track but thats really not an an "enhancement" its just the real world track thats in the demo is plain as well.

On IGN... I think its a case (And clearly) of the reviewer wanting the game to be something its not and dinging the score for it. Its not a racing game... (He mentions "racing game" how many times?) Forza is a simulation of automobiles and auto racing. Its not a racing game like PGR, TD, NFS or even GT.

I think he should review Lair from the perspective of someone expecting a flight simulator next

·
Registered
354 Posts
+1 on the graphics. They look pretty much the same to me. I still love it though!

Now back to the couch...

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
WOW, the 3.2L VR6 in the TT sounds SPOT ON, such a wonderful exhaust note, one of my favorites in the world.

the Caractere body pieces match the caractere pieces i have on my car (in real life) exactly!

the handling isnt there, but i just started playing the game, and i havent come anywhere near the mods i have in real life.

i was really disappointed in the demo, didnt plan on getting the game, but with the free 20$ game at CC, it was worth it.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
the Live integration is terrific. for instance the Photo option ultra cool here's my EVO I'm currently improving:

Graphics are fine IMO. The game is really a very good package of single and multiplayer with some great car collecting features. The customizing mode is much improved.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.