AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened upon a hd cable box outside an old home that had been left by the ex tenant as trash. I was thinking of using it to replace the free digital converter I have in my room (have a comcast box in the living room and am a comcast subscriber). I don't expect to receive more channels of get hd, but i would gain access to the menu and guide capabilities and maybe ondemand. Is it safe to use the box I found?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branksta522 /forum/post/19519258

I happened upon a hd cable box outside an old home that had been left by the ex tenant as trash. I was thinking of using it to replace the free digital converter I have in my room (have a comcast box in the living room and am a comcast subscriber). I don't expect to receive more channels of get hd, but i would gain access to the menu and guide capabilities and maybe ondemand. Is it safe to use the box I found?

Laurence Olivier asked "is it safe?" in The Marathon Man--but Dustin Hoffman was at a loss for the right answer.

Safe? It probably won't explode, if that's what you mean. But it might not be wise to use it. Converter boxes have unique electronic identification numbers and require activation on one's account.

Don't press your luck. Call Comcast to report your find.

Comcast will give you advice about what services and equipment they provide.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I don't think Comcast will come after him, but the box will be a doorstop without activation. Activation requires paying a box fee, and I think his local office will prefer one they officially rented to him rather than some random box he found.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts