AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I finally got my AVrack tday and in case any body is in need I defiantly recommend the VTI AR406BS. I posted a thread here a couple weeks ago asking for some recommendations on brands and models. I did all the work from scratch just googling and searching amazon and eBay and literally more than 50 online vendors, manufacturers, distributors, reviews etc. I wasn't really having any luck with any forums for my needs. I just wasn't having any luck.

I started out ordering the studiotech ps6bs wich after ordering from about 10 places found out is was no longer made. So I called studiotech and a lady recommended the hf4bs with 2 hf1 add-on shelved, hmm, sounded like a great idea. She told me that that was there new takeover for a 6 shelf system. So the first couple places I didn't have luck with but then found a great deal on one and ordered it.

2 weeks later. I get an email saying its no longer made. So by now I'm pissed. I just wasted 2 week of time I could have spent looking.

Il skip the massive amount of calling and recalling and mailing etc, it was a nightmare. So now I'm back to searching and I find the Sanus AVA4BS with 2 add on shelves. This thing looks great, I call and make sure its still made, wich I'm told it is, it looks like everybody has it, so before I order it I tell the guy what has happened and to make absolutely sure they have it or can get it. Long story short I don't get it, they don't make the black and silver like I wanted, only the black.

So anyway, the good news! I got the VTI AR406 BS wich from the pics of the hf4 and ava4 looks just like those, wich is what I wanted. I'm 5'8 and with the 7 shelves this thing comes up to my chin, its got black gloss wood shelves silver metal posts and the shelves are 11', 9',7',7',7',7', wich is perfect for me. It's really open so has plenty of air flow and also has 3' diameter holes on the back of each shelf for cable control. I can't find any thing wrong wit this, great quality, very fuctional, and a damn fine looker.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's it but the picture dosnt do it justice. I have the black and silver one also and imo looks better. I have the spike feet casters wich definitely add something to it, the wheels make it look cheap, i think. Im going to take a pic when I have all my gear in there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ordered and received this rack last week. Wanted to share my observations as I wasn't able to find much before taking the plunge & ordering one.

1) great value, IMO. Well made & plenty stable.

2) The only limitation on shelf order is that the top one must be 7". The others can be arranged in whatever order fits your equipment.

3) Extra shelves can be added! I ordered an extra along w/ the 406, making for a total of 7 shelves. Due to the assembly method, there's no limit to how many can be added other than the height of your ceilings.. Probably going to order an 8th soon.

4) If you're considering ordering multiple extra shelves, it might make sense to buy 2 racks. You can move shelves between them interchangeably.

5) The castors work fine on hardwood but are ~2" in diameter. No issues moving across a short pile area rug but might not work so well on thicker carpeting.

6) The unit is assembled upside-down, starting with what is the 'top' shelf. The legs are separate pieces for each level, a ~2" long 1/4"dia threaded rod protrudes from the top. A corresponding threaded fitting resides inside the bottom. The shelves are captured by tightening the top of one leg into the base of another. To add a level, you'll need to flip the unit upside down so plan accordingly.

7) Distance between the posts is 19.25" wide by 15.5" deep. Small studio rack enclosures won't fit.

8) Bought mine for an equipment closet, the cherry w/ black legs looks nice enough to leave out in the open though.

Ordered from http://www.standsandmounts.com . They were the only online vendor I found that carried the add-on shelves. Would recommend - good price, free shipping, received within 5 days.

Hopefully this helps someone considering buying one.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToSi /forum/post/0

I ordered and received this rack last week. Wanted to share my observations as I wasn't able to find much before taking the plunge & ordering one.

1) great value, IMO. Well made & plenty stable.

2) The only limitation on shelf order is that the top one must be 7". The others can be arranged in whatever order fits your equipment.

3) Extra shelves can be added! I ordered an extra along w/ the 406, making for a total of 7 shelves. Due to the assembly method, there's no limit to how many can be added other than the height of your ceilings.. Probably going to order an 8th soon.

4) If you're considering ordering multiple extra shelves, it might make sense to buy 2 racks. You can move shelves between them interchangeably.

5) The castors work fine on hardwood but are ~2" in diameter. No issues moving across a short pile area rug but might not work so well on thicker carpeting.

6) The unit is assembled upside-down, starting with what is the 'top' shelf. The legs are separate pieces for each level, a ~2" long 1/4"dia threaded rod protrudes from the top. A corresponding threaded fitting resides inside the bottom. The shelves are captured by tightening the top of one leg into the base of another. To add a level, you'll need to flip the unit upside down so plan accordingly.

7) Distance between the posts is 19.25" wide by 15.5" deep. Small studio rack enclosures won't fit.

8) Bought mine for an equipment closet, the cherry w/ black legs looks nice enough to leave out in the open though.

Ordered from http://www.standsandmounts.com . They were the only online vendor I found that carried the add-on shelves. Would recommend - good price, free shipping, received within 5 days.

Hopefully this helps someone considering buying one.

I've had mine for awhile now and I'm really happy with it. I also ordered an extra shelf forma total of seven but already have them filled up, I think I might order 1-2 more for future upgrades so I don't have trouble once they stop making this model. It us very nice how all the shelves are interchangeable and you have 3 different shelf spacing sizes to choose from- 11', 9', and 7'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.