AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Hope some of you can help me here - found a great deal on a computer I've been looking at, but the website it's from is called pycity.com

I have never heard of this site before. They use SSL security, and have good ratings on manta, but that obviously doesn't tell the whole story.

The thing that has me really weirded out is that you have to pay them in amazon.com gift cards. very strange. you buy the card from amazon, and make a pdf of the gift card that gets created.

Any feedback on this site?

·
Registered
5,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smail.nathan  /t/1524435/found-a-great-deal-on-a-computer-need-help-info-on-website#post_24533829

The thing that has me really weirded out is that you have to pay them in amazon.com gift cards. very strange. you buy the card from amazon, and make a pdf of the gift card that gets created.
I wouldn't trust the Amazon gift card deal. The website shows the major credit card logos. If you can use a credit card you *might* have some protection through your credit card company. If something bad happens with a gift card purchase you are on your own.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I never heard of them but I live in a cave.

I did find this...
SCAM?

Amazon card for payment? Hummmm

I'd use some form of payment that has recourse IF I was forced to buy from them.

I'd trust someone on Ebay before I would use them.

The sweet smell of a deal could be the smell of......

My 3¢ worth.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know, i'm worried about amazon gift card payment as well. i dont understand why they list the major credit card companies as payments on their website if they make you pay via amazon gift card at checkout instead of a credit card. it makes no sense to me.

Any and scamadvisor link, i'm not sure what thats telling me, or what it is using as a basis to judge that this site is safe.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've never seen that page I linked to when I've Googled anyone. But it does have some interesting items that can be used for further searching to feel more "comfortable" about your purchase.

Even with all of that I would still "pass" if it was my $$.

·
Registered
15,200 Posts
I've run into this before when I've tried to pay someone in India. Paypal doesn't work, but Amazon gift cards do. In my case, I had a lot of communication with the vendor and had developed trust. In your case, that pycity domain is actually registered to an American address, so the gift card thing sounds very fishy to me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Interesting that I found this post. I was looking at a BenQ W1070 projector at a price that was to good to be true. Went through the check out price and got the same thing which is they want me to pay via Amazon Gift Certificates. I have done some web searching and have not found anything that shows someone doing a legit transaction. There are a number of video reviews that look really fake about how great the site and thier transaction has gone.

I am staying far far away from this until someone can prove me wrong. Why would any legitimate deal only in Amazon Gift Certificates?

http://pycity.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12845

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, i've decided to not go through with the purchase. seems way too fishy to me. not worth the risk. if they would have offered a credit card transaction option, i would have taken the risk, and known that i had zero liability.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I am pleased with their site, I ordered once a rug from them and it was delivered. They ship kind of slow but if you want their "premium shipping" that is actually ups their prices go way higher and you could order directly from more reputable stores

·
Registered
5,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia Vegas  /t/1524435/found-a-great-deal-on-a-computer-need-help-info-on-website#post_24539622

I am pleased with their site, I ordered once a rug from them and it was delivered. They ship kind of slow but if you want their "premium shipping" that is actually ups their prices go way higher and you could order directly from more reputable stores
Welcome to the forum. You joined today and decided your very first post should be to give positive feedback on a suspicious website. That isn't suspicious at all.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia Vegas  /t/1524435/found-a-great-deal-on-a-computer-need-help-info-on-website#post_24539764

I just thought to let you know my experience. If I have offended you somehow I am sorry.
No, I'm not offended in the least. I was just making an observation. Shills are everywhere. ^

·
Registered
140 Posts
Stay away from ordering anything from this site.. Their prices are too good to be true - found a Vizio TV deal $400 less than any other online retailer. Really? There is no Customer Service phone number and the only way to contact them is via a web form. Amazon gift card payment means you basically paying them with cash and have no recourse.

There are a couple of YouTube reviews of them by obvious shills, but otherwise there are no legitimate reviews of pycity.com on any trusted business review sites. "Lucia Vegas" specifically joining avsforum.com to vouch for "positive experience" is as big of a red flag as I have seen.

You may as well send your money to Nigeria, as fa as I am concerned. I am going to contact Google to have them removed from "Google Shopping" search results.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Lucia Vegas--  I love the classic American couple photo followed by a couple of sentences with horrible grammar so reminiscent of the Nigerian bank scam emails.  Avoid pycity.com like the plague! No legit company would not accept major credit cards or Paypal.   The address that they list as their company turns out to be a hotel--

Hotel Blackhawk

200 E 3rd St
Davenport, IA 52801

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTekAlex  /t/1524435/found-a-great-deal-on-a-computer-need-help-info-on-website#post_24541776

Great another shill.

Guys, report this scam site to:

Google Shopping Policy Violations: https://support.google.com/merchants/contact/policy

E-Mail abuse alias of Netelligent (provider that hosts this site): mailto:[email protected]

If you have actually been a victim of their scam, file IC3 Cyber Crime complaint:

https://complaint.ic3.gov/default.aspx ?

Is it really a scam site? Did you place an order and not receive the merchandise?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007.  /t/1524435/found-a-great-deal-on-a-computer-need-help-info-on-website#post_24542445

Is it really a scam site? Did you place an order and not receive the merchandise?

i dont think he knows for sure, but all signs point to a scam. but i would love someone who has been a member of avs for a while to prove its not. me, i'm not willing to shell out for 1200 dollars worth of amazon gift cards to find out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried to buy a dishwasher online at pycity. When they got to the payment part they required an amazon gif card purchase of $719 for my dishwasher, then to send them the gift certificate in PDF form. I did all that and it was being processed. When I went to the site in morning it showed the account I had set up , but by evening a page that read "Account Suspended" would only appear every time I searched for the site. I called amazon which showed my money still there but pycity was processing it. I quickly had amazon claim the money to my amazon account and I contacted both my credit card company and amazon to refund the money back to my credit card. I have never purchased from this company, so I can't vouch for them. I won't buy from a company that appears real one day and can't be found the next. Also, I will never purchase from a company requiring I use an amazon gift card as the only method of payment. Red flags I can't ignore. They showed the dishwasher $150 lower than everyone else, but I was still able to find a company that had it for $40 more dollars and happily purchased since they showed a triple better business rating, a secure site and I could use my credit card directly, chase never requires their members to pay for fraudulent expenses, so I do use my credit card online knowing the bank has my back!

I think I just dodged a bullet.. Was so nervousness buying this way and should have listened to my instincts. I can't find pycity website anywhere now.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts