AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have had me Samsung PN50B550 for about a week now and so far I love the set. But just today under a certain light I noticed this very small imperfection in the top left corner of the screen. I doubt many people would even notice this but I am the oddball looking for this stuff.

Now this little mark looks a bit different in a picture but it's the best one I could get. Now this is not a scuff or anything that rubs off. It looks to be either a chip on the inner-side of the panel or a little bit of glue that is showing. I am going with the glue theory but you guys would know best. As you can see its out of the viewing area of the TV completely, but still it has me curious.

I could be a weirdo and return this set but my set has no noticeable buzzing noise so I fear if I did a swap-out I'd get a buzzer. Let me know if you think this little thing is anything to worry about.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Heh, you and me are the same
give it a couple of days and you will forget about it. Look at it this way, your new set might have different inperfection. Nothing is perfect.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Barely noticable, doesn't cover any part of the viewable screen...and no buzz.

Stop worrying

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18213742

..... It looks to be either a chip on the inner-side of the panel or a little bit of glue that is showing. I am going with the glue theory but you guys would know best. As you can see its out of the viewing area of the TV completely, but still it has me curious.

I think you should try to determine if it's really glue, or if it's a chip in the panel. If it's a chip, i'd be very concerned that it can turn into a crack from all the heat/cool cycles over time. If the plasma panel cracks, the TV will cease to work and good luck getting Samsung to believe that it cracked all by itself. There are more than a few reports of Samsung screens cracking on AVS and a few other places. Check that mark out carefully. If it is indeed a chip, i'd play it safe and have the TV exchanged.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the detailed reply. The set is just about a week old, so exchanging it shouldn't be a problem. After looking at it over and over I am pretty sure to say it's not a chip in the glass. Could it be an air bubble? I am not sure what or how glare film is used, but I am just suggesting it as a possibility.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does seem to be an air bubble. It's incredibly small but still there. If I get something tiny to push it down the mark will go away and then seem to come back. I am just 2 days away from 14 days since I bought the set. Exchanging is such a pain in the butt, but maybe it's worth it? I just don't know if this will get worse over time.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18215743

It does seem to be an air bubble. It's incredibly small but still there. If I get something tiny to push it down the mark will go away and then seem to come back. I am just 2 days away from 14 days since I bought the set. Exchanging is such a pain in the butt, but maybe it's worth it? I just don't know if this will get worse over time.

It obviously bothers you or you wouldn't be posting in the forums about it. It's a hassel to return but if it gets it off your mind it's worth it. No point in keeping a TV if you'll be focusing on that defect. Peace of mind.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea. If it never got any worse I would be okay with it. I don't think my Best Buy has any sets left that I want either. I would do a 58" but anything past that is out of my price range.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I talked to the guy that sold me the TV at Best Buy. Basically returning it is not a problem and he can order me another one. I feel like if I go through all the trouble I might as well order the 58" lol. I am still a bit undecided on what to do though.

·
Registered
474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18216847

I talked to the guy that sold me the TV at Best Buy. Basically returning it is not a problem and he can order me another one. I feel like if I go through all the trouble I might as well order the 58" lol. I am still a bit undecided on what to do though.

If it never gets worse, you are fine, but if it does get worse and you waited too long, you'll be kicking yourself!

Play it safe and exchange it for a new set.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18216847

If you can afford it return it and get the 58". You will be much happier

·
Registered
16,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerfan /forum/post/18217003

If it never gets worse, you are fine, but if it does get worse and you waited too long, you'll be kicking yourself!

Play it safe and exchange it for a new set.

+1

I'd exchange it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agreed. And even though I can take the plunge and do the 58" I might hold off and just stick with another 50". The main reason I got the set was for the under 1k price. Getting the 58" really defeats that purpose for me ($1600) but boy is it sooo tempting!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got off the phone with Best Buy and the 50B550 is completely out of stock, even at the warehouse. I can still pay the difference and got for the 58". Maybe I will just stick with the set. I'll give it a few days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts