Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy`s,

Found a new in sealed box HD841 Samsung for less than a buck 40.

Are they still having troubles ?

Is that a good deal?

From the info on the box the ship date was 02/05.

And are the DVI to HDMI adapters any good and easy to find ?

Many thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
101 Posts
I found mine for cheap and decided that it is worthy, even after reading all teh bug threads. My initial idea was to use it as a sacd and dvd-a player, and have another (better) dvd player. I basically checked if I can get cheaper sacd player, and it turns out that I cant...

But after installing the 745 firmware, it's been a decent dvd/sacd/dvd-a/divx player (knocking on wood), with no problems, good pq and nice sound. All for buck 40 ;)

The dvi to hdmi 6ft cable cost me $12 delivered from an online shop. It turns out that the component pq is (subjectively) better, so I'm not using hdmi after all...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info "brOwser"

Would Samsung send me a "firmware" up-date disc ?

I have an older Mac and no CD burner :(

Yea, I still have an open component , and that would leave me with an open HDMI !

Would I still need the new firmware" if not using HDMI?

Many thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29
Thanks for the info "brOwser"

Would I still need the new firmware" if not using HDMI?
Yes, unless it already has the latest version. BTW, the 841 has DVI, not HDMI.

You can get a DVI to HDMI converter for about $30.

While the the DVI (with adapter) output seemed more "pure", the color on my Pio plasma is better using component.

The firmware update took care of many bugs that affected all outputs, mostly playability issues.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank for the info DidHeFocus,

I`m sure that I could have someone "burn-it" for me. ;)

Maybe I`ll check and see if it`s still avalible !!

Is there anyway to check to see if it has the latest firmware ?

And how to ?

Must be a service menu thing.

Many thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
670 Posts
Here's the link to navigate to the firmware.
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/n...rch.jsp?eUser=

You can only check the firmware at the install screen on the player. It shows the current version and the one you're about to install. I don't know of another way to check.

If you have the original box, check the date it was made on the s/n sticker. The latest version was available after 12/04.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DidHeFocus
If you have the original box, check the date it was made on the s/n sticker. The latest version was available after 12/04.
Many thanks :D

I do belive that the sticker on the outside of the box is 02/05 , so maybe it already has the latest firmware.

That would be A-OK ;)

Now I realy must see if it`s still there !!

Thanks again,

Gary

·
Registered
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29
Hi Guy`s,

Found a new in sealed box HD841 Samsung for less than a buck 40.

Is that a good deal?

And are the DVI to HDMI adapters any good and easy to find ?
Good deal? not really, it sold for less on closeout at BB and Costco had it very cheap also.

BB had the adapter but it was hard to find. They all had the HDMI to DVI, but only one store had the DVI to HDMI adapter that would work with the cable included with the Samsung. It seems to work well.

BTW: I'm guessing you didn't really mean $1.40

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclou
The 941 goes for a buck twenty.
The 941 is a much better player than the 841 (better deinterlacing/scaling chip).

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I own an 841 and am happy with it, esp with the HDCP hack that allows me to get BTB over component. However at that price plus another 30 for a DVI-HDMI adapter you should be able to find a better player at the same or lower cost.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not sure if brand new 841 for a buck 40 is a good deal when there are ton of refurbished 841 at around 70 cents. Thanks to all those people who returned 841 after trying out a couple of hours, many of the refurbs are like new.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought a customer returned unit that my local electronics retailer was using as a display for $55 + tax :) no box or manual but I didn't need it. Plus the unit I got had been touched by who know's how many thousands of people passing the display and playing around with it - but again, no big deal ... I wiped it down :D

Oh and the salesman threw in the DVI to HDMI cable they were using to hook it all up :) YEAH BABY! I got a great deal and love it. I saw refurbs on amazon.com for $59, so I would think $140 is too high (imho) I'd buy the refurb for $60 ... oh sorry, 60 cents. :p

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well ,

I picked it up this morrning , don`t know if it`s a keeper.

Samsung is going to send me an upgrade disc , so that`s a good thing.

The dvd player is a little weird , like there is no changing the black level . O-it`s in the menu but can`t change the setting.

Also , NO time remianing , what gives with that :(

Just watch LOTR-TTT , and it seemed more green than it should be , but the detail was very good.

I must check out more movies , to make a final decision.

After all in a couple of weeks the Sony DVP-NS70H will be avalible at only 10 cents more !

And buying new CD`s for HD audio is not in the future , (haven`t seen any Alan Parsons SACD`s anyway :) )

So the new Sony would work for me to ( so would the DV59AVi :D ) and the price is and will drop!!

So I end this update with an "I don`t know -- keeper or take it back "

Time will tell !!

·
Registered
670 Posts
jedi,

The black level setting is only active in 480i mode.

The main reasons I don't use DVI to HDMI are the slight green tint, and the lack of BTB. After deactivating HDCP with the remote hack, I found that using 1080i through component gives me the best overall PQ and also passes BTB. DVI won't pass BTB and actually crushes a couple of levels above.

I think I've seen an Alan Parsons SACD or DVD-A in a store once, but I'm not positive.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DidHeFocus,

Thanks for the info about the "black level setting , being disabled.

However , I think that it may go back.

It`s a real nice looking player and performs fairly well , but I can see why there were so many issues. Not have a time remain is crazy , what was Samsung thinking !

Anyway , thanks for your reply,

Gary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.