AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I found a Pioneer Pro 101FD this afternoon. Not sure if I can post the store or the price, however it was at a major big box store for less than $1,700, and it's a 50". The guy I was talking to wouldn't even bring it out of the back for me to take a look at and said they just got it in. I honestly have no need for another TV right now, but I was honestly thinking about getting it and maybe to flipping it for a few bucks...

I know this is the monitor only version, but I'm not sure how it stacks up compared to the other Pioneer models as I have never even bothered researching them due to how expensive they were and now having been discontinued. Also, I have never owned a plasma before, is the screen on the Pioneer like a mirror...as I mentioned above the guy wouldn't even let me see it and I haven't read any of the other threads yet.

Let me know what you think and thank you in advance for the help.

·
Registered
125 Posts
the PRO-101FD provides great features, as Home Media Gallery, which lets the set access media content on networked computers and DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) servers. It has Ethernet port, 1080i, 1080p/60, and 1080p/24, not to mention 720p.

All Pioneer Kuro TVs and monitors have the ability to display 1080p/24 at 72Hz, repeating each frame three times. This avoids 3:2 pulldown altogether and results in much smoother motion on film-based material. I know of no other flat panels with this rare and important feature.

A color-management system (CMS) allows those with the requisite training and tools to move the color points around, though it's not really needed in the Pure mode--

Unique to the Elite line--including the Signature Series monitors--are ISF Day and Night modes, which can be calibrated only from the service menu or by using special software developed by Sencore. These modes let a calibrator lock in the calibration so they can't be messed up by inveterate but unskilled tweakers.

With HDMI 1.3 inputs, the PRO-101FD supports Deep Color (increased color bit depth), x.v.Color (expanded color gamut), and CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), which Pioneer calls Kuro Link. Deep Color and x.v.Color are not used in any commercial content, though some HD camcorders use them.

IDE recommend buying it at that price I mean the unit sells on some sites for almost 4g's uknow..and flip whatever else you are using now lol lets be honest (and here's where I'm gonna get hated on) plasmas are THE BEST! No if ands or buts. And when it comes to pioneer you can't go wrong. Go for it that's all I can say!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to head back after work and check it out in more detail. For what it's worth I just casually asked the sales guy, who I fully expected to have no idea what a Kuro was, and to my suprise he said they have the only one left in the entire state.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, can't stop thinking about this TV so I called the store up. It was a customer order who never picked it up so it is new in box. It's fully factory sealed, bands in tact, and has been sitting in their warehouse for 1.5 years. They've never advertised, don't show it, and it was basically just a fluke that they even had one left. I have a message with the store manager to give me the best price for a discontinued model that been taking up whare house space

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Good for you. Meanwhile find out how to get into the Service Menu to check the usage hours to make sure it is new in box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwknuf6 /forum/post/0

Be careful if this is a demo unit,burn in is a real problem for long term demo displays,even pioneers.

Otherwise the 101 is the best flat panel to date!

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
That was fast. Congratulations.

Want to know what visual sex feels like with this amazing TV?

Planet earth

Barraka

Any pixar movie

Sound of music

Just to name a few.

Oh to see how black this TV can get please pick up harry potter ATHBP and 300. You will not be disappointed. Amazing to see.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by myaudiocd /forum/post/19531086

Super buy. What's with the French, must have been for the Canadian market?

I have no idea about the French, and honestly didn't even notice it...hopefully there won't be any issues.

The guy at the store I bought it from said that they recently had it out on the sales floor in their high end section and not a single person even asked about it. I'm happy I got it but he said most people only want LCD and 3D.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myaudiocd /forum/post/19531086

Super buy. What's with the French, must have been for the Canadian market?

international set...so some guy ordered it from France and never picked it up?

I would open it up and make sure it works as soon as possible...that way any return can be handled without any issues

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/19531501

international set...so some guy ordered it from France and never picked it up?

I would open it up and make sure it works as soon as possible...that way any return can be handled without any issues

You guys had me a little freaked out about the french/international thing. I searched online, couldn't find anything, got even more freaked out. Decided to inspect the box....the other side is in english

Still haven't cracked the seal yet as I won't be able to set it up until this weekend, and honestly, I'm still kind of thinking about selling it. What would be a realistic price to sell it for if I chose to go that route? I'll probably keep it, just ordered a new soundbar and mount for it, but having options is always good.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkim /forum/post/19532452

You guys had me a little freaked out about the french/international thing. I searched online, couldn't find anything, got even more freaked out. Decided to inspect the box....the other side is in english

Still haven't cracked the seal yet as I won't be able to set it up until this weekend, and honestly, I'm still kind of thinking about selling it. What would be a realistic price to sell it for if I chose to go that route? I'll probably keep it, just ordered a new soundbar and mount for it, but having options is always good.

Selling it would be complicated.. New you could probably ask $3000-3500, however the way tv prices are going... it becomes more an issue of what people are willing to pay. For $700 on sale lately you can get a 1080p 50" plasma or $1000-1300 for a 60". If you find someone who wants the best of the best and is willing to pay a premium penny for it you might be able to make a bit, but there's a reason the retailer is trying to clear these out. Even though there's nothing better they're starting to become white elephants since they aren't available in enough quantity to be widely known or available and most people who don't already know what it is aren't going to be willing to pay a premium for an "old" set from 2008 that "doesn't even do 3-D".

The 60" models have retained a decent premium, but the 50" in general for both used and new are depreciating pretty quick in terms of the prices people are willing to pay. Same way they've been dropping prices on the "premium" 2010 models. A lot of people just say "screw it...why pay $2k+ for a VT25 when I can buy 3 50" 1080p plasmas for that price".

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkim /forum/post/19532452

If you decide to sell it online and you haven't opened it to see that it works and isn't damaged the shipping company will say any hidden damage (box clean but unit damaged) was that way before it was shipped. Once you open it you lose a little value from the start, on the other hand shipping companies can be a PITA to deal with even on low value shipping claims. Higher the price they owe you the more of a PITA it'd be.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.