AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

found a place for lutron dimmers

2119 Views 34 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  heartsurgeon
After looking through 5 pages of google searches, I found discountlight.com

They have the lutron spacer system dimmers (sps-600) for 56 a piece. This was the cheapest I could find.

Hope it helps some one,

Jeff
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Didn't work for me either.

Lowes has the Spacers for $30 something. I talked to another guy on the Forum that found them at that price, and sure enough, there they are. They only have white though....and I really wanted black.

I'm very anxious to find out if you web address has the Spacers in Black for $56. I'd pay the extra $20 for black to match my room.
He probably meant discountlighting.com

http://www.discountlighting.com/asp/...rchFor=&PT_ID=

Stew
I ordered my Lutron spacer dimmers from louielighting.com

good prices and pretty fast shipping. no complaints!

John
another source of $55 black spacers

dimmers.net

I ordered some manual dimmers and they arrived promptly and were shipped from Lutron directly.
They're here in Houston so I went down there to get some of mine. They are very knowledgeable and very helpfull. Not to mention good prices.
Ok, that was dumb!! Sorry I was just in a hurry. I think the ones at lowes are the sp-600's, which are not part of the Spacer System. They are the orginal spacers.

Jeff
Be careful...the Lowes Spacers are NOT sPACER sYSTEM, JUST sPACER. mAKE SURE YOU ORDER THE SPS models , not SP. !!
The ones on dimmers.net are the SP-600 as well...same as Lowes.

What is the difference? I am only going to be controlling one zone, so the SP-600 should be OK......correct?
Tony,

That should work. I think the SP version is a stand alone version. You can always give lutron a call, they have been helpful when I called.

Jeff
The original spacers have no light level presets. In fact, they have no discrete full on or off either. Only a dim/off 'toggle'.

Well, let me clarify that they do have a discrete on if you have a learning remote and you capture the 'double-click' properly. But I have found no way to do a discrete off, which is a little annoying.

For this little price difference, I'd go with the spacer system models even for single zone.

Andy K.
Please forgive me if this is a question that has been asked in the past, but I haven't seen an answer yet (or... at least I haven't seen an answer that I understood properly :confused: ).

I am in the process of building my media room. (I'm not building from scratch - just putting in new lighting, painting the room, and installing a screen and projector. The room is already pre-wired for 7.1 surround and such.)

For my lighting, I want to have two distinct dimmable lighting zones. I have an overhead light fixture that I am going to leave in the room. I want to have it dimmable first when the video starts. I also have 6 wall sconces that I want to have on a single dimmer (total of 360W on that dimmer) that will begin to dim 30 seconds or so after the movie starts.

The way the wiring in the room is, both light switches will be in the same location - adjacent to each other in a single box - in the back of the room. Will the Lutron Spacer (or Spacer System) allow me to control the two boxes independently, or will they both dim when one of them gets a command to dim? If it will

In addition to the above, my plan is to control the dimmers with an IR blaster so I can have a sensor in the front of the room. I will then point my remote (some mid-range universal remote with macros, brand undetermined) to the sensor in the front of the room to control the lights and the A/V equipment, which will be in a closet in the back of the room. Will the Spacers have any problem with that? (For that matter, if some other aspect of the system will have a problem, I'd like to know that too. ;) )

Thank you for any help you can provide.
See less See more
For two light switches using two circuits, you will need a 3 gang box - two for the "slave" switches and one for the "master." I'm assuming the blaster would be stuck on the IR for the "master."

Rick
Quote:
Originally posted by DonRC
I want to have two distinct dimmable lighting zones. [...] both light switches will be in the same location - adjacent to each other in a single box - in the back of the room. Will the Lutron Spacer (or Spacer System) allow me to control the two boxes independently, or will they both dim when one of them gets a command to dim?

In addition to the above, my plan is to control the dimmers with an IR blaster so I can have a sensor in the front of the room.
There is another low-cost system that maybe of interest to you, available at Home Depot centers. This post/thread has more info on it. I believe it will do everything you want - however, I am not quite sure if you could put two of them into a box, because the wall plate seems kind of custom-made for this particular dimmer.

Of course, I don't mean to discourage you from getting the Lutrons if that's what you want, I am sure they are good dimmers. They might be more capable than what you need.

- Martin
See less See more
Don,

The Spacer System will do what you want. Like Rick said, you have a master and slave dimmers off of that. If you want to control your sconces you can go with the sps-600. The 600 is for the total wattage. They also have a 1000 watt version. Check out the lutron website, or give them a call. I am not sure about the IR blaster, but I would think that would work.

Jeff
Quote:
The Spacer System will do what you want. Like Rick said, you have a master and slave dimmers off of that. If you want to control your sconces you can go with the sps-600.
So... I don't just need the two dimmers, but I also need a "Master"? (I thought somebody else said in a different thread - which, of course, I can't find - that it was possible to use the remotes to supply the functions of the master. Is that not accurate, then?

At $55 apiece for the dimmers and then (I assume) at least that much more for the master, this becomes pretty expensive pretty fast.

What is needed for wiring all of those switches? Is there additional wiring needed down into the box in which the dimmers sit? If so, it would be tough for me to do this because I don't have access to get more wires down into there. :(

The discountlighting.com location doesn't seem to have the masters. Any suggestions on where to buy those?

Thanks for your comments so far, and for any further assistance you can provide.
See less See more
Don,

Not sure about your other questions, but I got my master on ebay.

Jeff
Quote:
Originally posted by DonRC
So... I don't just need the two dimmers, but I also need a "Master"? (I thought somebody else said in a different thread - which, of course, I can't find - that it was possible to use the remotes to supply the functions of the master. Is that not accurate, then?

At $55 apiece for the dimmers and then (I assume) at least that much more for the master, this becomes pretty expensive pretty fast.

What is needed for wiring all of those switches? Is there additional wiring needed down into the box in which the dimmers sit? If so, it would be tough for me to do this because I don't have access to get more wires down into there. :(

The discountlighting.com location doesn't seem to have the masters. Any suggestions on where to buy those?

Thanks for your comments so far, and for any further assistance you can provide.
If you have two separate lighting circuits that you want to control separately, then you need two slave and one master all in a 3 gang box. Otherwise, w/o the master, any IR signal will control BOTH light circuits at the SAME time. Light on for sconces will also turn on your ceiling light. Using the master, you can program that two control either of the slaves together or separate or scenes or whatever you like.

Rick
See less See more
I called Lutron technical support today and they said the Spacer System wouldn't do what I need it to do. :mad: He said the only way I can control the two sets of lights independently is to go with the Grafik Eye system.

Unfortunately, there's no way I can justify spending that much money just to dim my lights.

*sigh*
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.