AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a big choice and went with the Sampo 34" HDTV. My buddy in Santa Rosa CA just got one for $1999 at Costco. He has it set up and is loving it. I don't think all Costcos have it yet though because the one by me did not carry it. I got mine from Frys for $2,500. I have it set up now and it is beautiful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is to bad your Costco did not have it. I live in Rancho Cordova and they had it at Costco for $1999. We have been looking to pick one of the Sampo sets up for awhile. The internet has some good deals but none that I have found that are good as $1999 or worth taking the risk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought one awhile back from buy.com. They had great service, and it was delivered right to my place. Best HD set I have ever seen. I love mine! It sounds like you are real lucky if you have one of those Costcos near you that carry the Sampo, because $1999 is a great price!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow,

That is a awsome price, which Costco carries it? USD1999.00 are u sure? I was told it cost up to usd3000.00 before. Anyone know?

·
Registered
14 Posts
At a price of $1999 they won't have a pile for long. They are going to sell a bunch at that price. If I was looking for an HDTV in that area I would get one quick before they run out of stock.

·
Registered
801 Posts
When I first saw them they were $2499. I'm guessing they weren't moving fast enough, and Costco dropped the price to get them out of there. They may all be gone by now, but a couple of weeks ago there were quite a few.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I do not own a Sampo but I remember reading many threads where owners were complaining about problems. I even remember reading reading something about a recall to fix/replace a board. You may wish to do a search on the Sampo and check out those threads first.

On the other hand, I also read postings from very happy owners.

A few weeks ago, I even saw the Sony 36XBR400 on sale at Costco for $1999! Very tempting but it's a HEAVY TV. A few weeks later, the new XBR450 models were introduced.

------------------

Rich

·
Registered
11 Posts
After reading the posts in here my wife and I decided that we should by the sets now. The Sampo 34" at $1,999 is to good of price to pass up and we do not want to miss our opportunity.

We will let you know how the set works out!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I saw some of the unhappy owner postings and it weighed in on my choice. I can tell you though when I saw the set displaying HD I was blown away and I new I had to have one. I have been happy ever since.

The only problem I have is that I can't get my friends and neighbors out of the house because their eyes are glued to the set. It is fun having them around though.

I can understand the set not moving well at Costco at $2,499. That is a big price for the chain and you are asking everyday consumers to buy into future technology. I would think though that at $1999 they would see a lot of movement because you are only about $500 off of a 36" Sony WEGA. You lose two inches but you get a set that is wide screen with a great tube plus the Sampo is flat as well.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I saw this TV at Fry's.It was running the same demo as all other TV's.It absolutely had the worst picture of any set there by a mile.The colors were washed out and horrible it was grainy.Don't know if it was just that set or a bad connection or what,it was really terrible.

------------------

Who are you going to believe,me or your lying eyes?

·
Premium Member
5,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BayHDguy:
After reading the posts in here my wife and I decided that we should by the sets now. The Sampo 34" at $1,999 is to good of price to pass up and we do not want to miss our opportunity.

We will let you know how the set works out!
I LOVE mine! But others complain. I have no complaints.

What is important, however, is that you adjust the settings

optimally. And the user remote that comes with the set

provides all controls for the composite input sources,

but only some of the controls for the A/V (RCA and S)

inputs. The whole "geometry" group is missing for the

A/v inputs, so you won't be able to adjust rotation,

trapezoid, parallellogram, horizontal and vertical size,

horizontal and vertical centering, etc.

Don't ask me why Sampo did that, but they did. And for my

set it really did need geometry adjustments for the A/V

inputs.

Solution: order the "service remote" from Sampo, for

somewhere between $30 and $45 (depending on what your

bill says when you finally get it, as I was actually

charged less than they told me it would cost).

The "service remote" provides ALL controls, for ALL

input sources. And you will then definitely be able to get

top-notch picture from your A/V sources.

As far as the rest of the setup, get the "Video Essentials"

DVD if you don't already have it, and use it to adjust the

Sampo. Of course if you have a progressive DVD player,

that helps too.

After using my progressive DVD player and V.E. to adjust the

Sampo at 480p, I only had to make three tiny fine-tuning

tweaks when watching 1080i.

And the results are FANTASTIC! It doesn't look like TV.

If you want, I can email you my complete set of tweaks,

which you can enter into yours as a starting point. The

settings are digital, using numbers 1-256. So it's easy

to write them down and adjust the set exactly, in case you

ever have to do it again from scratch for some reason.

I think you'll be very happy, especially at that price.

I bought mine a few months back for $2700, from Sampo.

·
Premium Member
5,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DSperber:
And the user remote that comes with the set

provides all controls for the composite input sources,

but only some of the controls for the A/V (RCA and S)

inputs
Ooops... typo.

I meant to say "for the COMPONENT input sources", not

"composite".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the great information DSperber!

I have to agree with the post that says the display at Frys looks poor and the one at Costco looks great. I have seen them both and Costco has done a much better job of showing the product.

Frys does a real disservice to Sampo and the other companies by displaying the terrible signal. What's the point of selling HD if you are not going to display it on the sets.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I can also confirm that the Fry's display is crap..

But, be aware that the Sampo does not have an internal line doubler, so the NTSC signals probably will look worse on a Sampo than some of the other HDTV's. But, if your motivation is to view NTSC, you probably wouldn't be looking at this TV.

I have owned a Sampo for three months and I am very happy with it. I use it mainly for DVD viewing with my HTPC, and OTA digital TV + DirecTV with my RCA DTC-100. I paid $2800 for mine right before the prices started falling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FYI, there is a Smapo 34" in the Costco by me for $1,999. Its display looks very nice. It is one of the better HDTVs I have seen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ransome:

I saw it at the Frys at 35th Ave and agree that it was massively unimpressive compared to the other direct views it was lined up with. I'm fairly certain they were running a HD loop through all. After the positive comments I had seen on the Sampo, I assumed that set is an aberration.

Say, were you at the TV shoot out in March at Phil Hole's?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ransome:
I saw this TV at Fry's.It was running the same demo as all other TV's.It absolutely had the worst picture of any set there by a mile.The colors were washed out and horrible it was grainy.Don't know if it was just that set or a bad connection or what,it was really terrible.
The Palo Alto, CA Fry's Sampo demo has only an RF signal (no doubt split 45 ways) that looks horrible. They were too lazy to even connect a DVD player to it. Contrast this to the Costco demo in Santa Rosa running a HD E* signal and the difference is like night and day ... it's also $500 less there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ransome:

I saw the set displayed at Fry's last weekend. They are running a poor signal in and had the set connected through the S-Video. It is a shame that they don't step up and and least get a digital signal of some sort in there and ideally get an HD signal. I have seen the set display HD signals and it looks great. Fry's may have the best retail price (excluding the lucky people who live next to one of the select Costcos) but that is about it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.