AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so we founc this 6620LG Sylvania in our trash room and we took it apart for the hell of it and found this.

Yeah, it's a **** TV, but if its an easy fix we could use it some where. Anyone have any idea what that is that is broken and If we can fix it, or how much it'd cost to repair.

Thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
If it was me I would put it back where you found it. But that's just me. If it's just broken wires (the picture is too out of focus to tell) you don't have much to lose to try and rewire it but it's a long long shot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Way too blurry on those close pictures. But if it's just the wires that are broken you could solder some new ones in place pretty easily. But i'd want to know why they were damaged like that, any evidence of physical damage from the outside or anything? If they broke on their own that could just be a symptom of a bad voltage regulator somewhere else and any new wires you put on will just burn up.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I think that is so cool that you are trying to do this. It's my favorite part of this forum when people do stuff like this or expiermenting with different ways to enhance your TV viewing, etc. It's a nice break from the usual, "Dude you have to buy Samsung, they're the best if you don't buy a Samsung your an idiot" type of posts that's on here everyday.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it looks like someone tried to hang the TV on the wall, and screwed right into the connector. They are so small, I don't know how we'd solder it back. Maybe just get enough solder so the whole thing is connected.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineSi /forum/post/15524337

Well, it looks like someone tried to hang the TV on the wall, and screwed right into the connector. They are so small, I don't know how we'd solder it back. Maybe just get enough solder so the whole thing is connected.

Then it shouldn't be a problem to fix it. You'll need some wire, i would go with coated wire because finding hard wire like what they have there will be hard and you will be hopeless to repair the little spacing bracket they have there.

So, go get some (guessing) 14 or 16 gauge solid wire that matches pretty close in thickness to what is there. Get a medium wattage soldering iron with a very fine tip and some thin acid-free solder. You may also want to buy some locking electronic tweesers/clips (looks kind of like a hemostat or a roach clip). Cut the wire to very short lengths just long enough to bridge the broken connections and strip off about 1/4 inch of the casing on each end. Then just carefully solder each end in place, use the locking tweesers to hold the new wire so you don't burn yourself. If you have bad eye sight try using a magnifying glass, i've soldered smaller connections than that. Also, should be obvious, make sure you cut out all the mangled wires so it's clean and neat and nothing is touching.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts