AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search, didn't find it, so I post this; sorry, if someone already posted.

Logitech Play Link was built for video game console (Xbox, Playstaton), it can be found under $20. It works for a single Replay connection to mothership. A set of Logitch Play Link comes with two hardcoded transmitters, so there is no configuration to do - plug one into Replay, plug the other into router, DONE!

When connection was made behind switches, no go.

I am getting another set to see whether two Replay can talk to each other, will report back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Logitech Play Link transfers via RF @ 1.5Mbps

Wireless-B transfers @ 11Mbps

Wireless-G transfers @ 54Mbps

Typical broadband connections are from 1.5Mbps - 6Mbps (so it should work just fine for gaming since it's almost as fast as most internet connections.) ReplayTV to ReplayTV will not even stream video via wireless-B which is 7 times faster than the Logitech Play Link. Don't get your hopes up.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerz /forum/post/0

The Logitech Play Link transfers via RF @ 1.5Mbps

Wireless-B transfers @ 11Mbps

Wireless-G transfers @ 54Mbps

Typical broadband connections are from 1.5Mbps - 6Mbps (so it should work just fine for gaming since it's almost as fast as most internet connections.) ReplayTV to ReplayTV will not even stream video via wireless-B which is 7 times faster than the Logitech Play Link. Don't get your hopes up.

Navigating on my main RTV also slowed down considerably when I had a slow wireless connection because it would want to check on the other RTV. You may or may not have that problem.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've been using Buffalo routers (configured as bridges) for a few years to stream programs with Replay. It works very well, and is low cost.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose /forum/post/0

If you really want something easy, you can't beat some of the newer powerline solutions such as Netgear's HDX101 . It's pretty darn expensive, but it's simple to set up and it offers theoretical speeds up to 200 Mbps.

Anyone ever tried these? I have 2 Buffalo's as well - but always found it to be a bit unreliable. Occasional drop outs, and caused replay reboots - so went wired.

We just moved, and wired's not an option. I've got 2 Replays, so thinking about trying that Netgear powerline stuff. Curious if anyone else has used it before.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Panasonic has a wealth of information on their HD-PLC powerline wireless adapters (AVS Forum mentioned these a few days ago):
Overview
Technical Specs
Link to manual
Main HD-PLC site
Throughput measurement
Measurement test case
Recommended configuration
Not recommended configuration
Product information downloads

There are also reviews on CNet/ZDNet, and user reviews on NewEgg. They're expensive at about $90/each (in $180 2-packs), but they are capable of streaming HD. I don't know how they compare to the other brands; I don't own them.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose /forum/post/0

If you really want something easy, you can't beat some of the newer powerline solutions such as Netgear's HDX101 . It's pretty darn expensive, but it's simple to set up and it offers theoretical speeds up to 200 Mbps.

They are a bit expensive but i have some and I am able to stream high quality stuff from my pc back to my replay. And they are easier and way more reliable than wireless.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milky way /forum/post/0

Did a search, didn't find it, so I post this; sorry, if someone already posted.

Logitech Play Link was built for video game console (Xbox, Playstaton), it can be found under $20. It works for a single Replay connection to mothership. A set of Logitch Play Link comes with two hardcoded transmitters, so there is no configuration to do - plug one into Replay, plug the other into router, DONE!

When connection was made behind switches, no go.

I am getting another set to see whether two Replay can talk to each other, will report back.

I ordered a set and received it today. Unfortunately I can not get the units to work with my RTV 45xx.

I plugged one transmitter into my Belkin Mimo router and the second into the RTV. When I try to connect to the mothership I get the message "There was a problem transferring informationfrom the ReplayTV service."

To test the Internet connection I went from the transmitter at the RTV directly into my laptop (after disconnecting my wireless card) via the NIC and had no trouble accessing the Internet. My cable modem uses DHCP.

I also tried to connect by attaching one transmitter directly to my cable modem with the same results after reboots of the RTV, the Logitec transmitters and the cable modem.

Am I leaving out any steps? Can you suggest a solution?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi guys!

I am a technician in a company (id rather not post where) who designs powerline reference designs. I test powerline devices all day and everyday.

One of the biggest missunderstandings is they can NOT be plugged into a surge protector or a powerfilter! Another thing people don't realize that the data packets must travel all the way to the point of intersection (usually the breaker panel). ie: if two rooms are right next to each other and they are on two different circuits, powerline data must travel from room A --> breaker panel --> room B. I hope I explained that right...

Heres the list starting from best to worst (throughput) from the ethernet bridges I have tested:

Asoka 85Mbps

Develo 85Mbps

Netgear 1.0 (14Mbps)

Radioshack 56Mbps

These are units that are on the market currently.. I havent tested the panisonic devises yet but I will try to get my hands on some soon.

I was using the Asoka 85Mbps to couple my bedroom pc to my sage box in my living room and it worked great in my apartment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.